Find
Notify
Tools

My Retro Deer (Going Back In Time)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted
I have had a yearning for a Winchester 94 30-30 for sometime now, so I purchased one made in 1959. Now for the hard part to take a deer with the vintage rifle and cartridge
Today was the day that opportunity smiled. The season is open for antlerless deer and I got my chance to connect at about 80 yards. I was easing through a sparse section of woods when I spotted my quarry feeding. The deer turned its head toward me and I raised the rifle and held as steady as possible from a free handed position and fired. The bullet enter the Neck behind the head and the deer went straight down for a very clean kill

When I say a "retro deer I mean NO CAMO and blue jeans as well as a khaki work shirt and my LSU hat

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jeff Sullivan
posted Hide Post
Nice job!

Truth be known, we could all probably do most, if not all, of our hunting with a lever action 30-30. sofa

Posts: 1229 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great job, just goes to show to show that deer can still be killed without buying the latest wonder gun/ammo/camo or technology.

It ain't the equipment that makes the hunter, it is the hunter that makes the equipment work for them. Basics are always good.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was probably the hat that did it. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
It was probably the hat that did it. Wink

LOL, you're probably right!

Nice work, jwp!! Congratulations!! beer

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats pretty cool! tu2 Every year I think about taking my m-1 or my 03-a3 after a deer or even an elk. Maybe next year!

Imagine how big of a buck you could have gotten if you had a Bama hat!!!! Wink

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
Imagine how big of a buck you could have gotten if you had a Bama hat!!!! Wink

I thought 'Bama would be represented by a squirrel, not a buck...... Big Grin

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Very nice. However, I think to be truly retro you should have donned a red/black plaid flannel or wool shirt. Wink

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHAT!!...You couldn't possibly have killed that deer without wearing the latest in ultra 3D cammo/coverscent/$5000customrifle/widgetoftheweek...haha.

Well done sir. Congratulations.

The Hunt goes on forever, the season never ends.

I didn't learn this by reading about it or seeing it on TV. I learned it by doing it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Central TX | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kewl. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Riverduck
posted Hide Post
I like that.........

Posts: 3530 | Location: Land of Uz | Registered: 27 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought 'Bama would be represented by a squirrel, not a buck......

Your talking about the guy in the white house, I am talking about, "Roll Tide"! Big Grin

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
quote:
I thought 'Bama would be represented by a squirrel, not a buck......

Your talking about the guy in the white house, I am talking about, "Roll Tide"! Big Grin

You talking about the team LSU beat in their home stadium. Is that the one you are talking about?
Is it?

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
...probably used cheap, promo loads too!!! Eeker

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
You mean you can still kill a little ole whitetail without a mk19 shooting Tipped quadruple shock barnes grenades with a gargantulan scope the size of a big telescope, and none of that no smell me stuff, and the latest greatest $300 dollar super duper scent blocker 4d special effects camo, and with some purple hat on. Not only that but you accomplished this with some kind of antique rifle with a trajectory about like a rainbow. Who would of thought it

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote