New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proud Dad in MT
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well hunting season is over in Montana, and I have a couple unfilled tags. I do have a full freezer thanks to my Son. All his animals were taken from public land here in Mt. I did manage to harvest a 4x5 Whitetail and a unique pronghorn but nothing as impressive as Josh's Mulie, which scores 182 3/4" B&C green.

a good year for Josh!

his 14" Pronghorn

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for Josh! Your taxidermist will be happy, too.

BJ

Posts: 86 | Location: Puyallup | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why are these images side by side in my browser and not one below the other?

Posts: 207 | Location: South Central Montana | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skidly:
why are these images side by side in my browser and not one below the other?

I don't know but you're killing me because I can't see the Mulie!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12625 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ditto; can't see the muley...

Best Regards,

Craig Nolan

Posts: 403 | Location: South of Alamo, Ca. | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
his elk

one of us
posted Hide Post
his deer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Josh's rifle is Savage 300rum, (without a brake) his scope is a $100 BSA 6-24 mil-dot. He is shooting my handloads 93gr Retumbo behind 200g Nosler AccuBond, and even though I hate to say this .... all were located from county roads! Meanwhile I tried to teach him the best trophys are always miles from the roads ..... where I walk. Its hard to convince him when this happens! LOL bewildered

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Nice Pic's and congrat's but I'm curious how the 182 3/4 measurement was arrived at...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skidly:
Josh's rifle is Savage 300rum, (without a brake) his scope is a $100 BSA 6-24 mil-dot. He is shooting my handloads 93gr Retumbo behind 200g Nosler AccuBond, ...
Hey Skidly, Send my congratulations to your son too. He sure is having a First Class year of hunting.

When I first looked at the Antelope, I thought the Fence Post was a strange atypical Horn. Big Grin
---

I sure appreciate the info on the BSA withstanding 300RUM loads. Young`uns are always asking about scopes so they can get started Hunting/Shooting. Just bothers me to tell them to save-up until you can afford a Leupold or Burris all the time.

How many shots does he have through the 300RUM with that scope on it? Was it on any other rifle before you all put it on the Savage?

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad; measured with B&C scoresheet, after 60days will be officially measured

Hot Core: Actually had that scope on a 50bmg for awhile till I replaced it with a NXS. Only scope he has had on that rifle. He got the rifle in Dec of 2004, it went thru load developement on 2 differant bullets. I'd say at least 100 rnds of 300rum and 60 rnds of 50bmg. The real problem with the BSA is image quality and eye relief, that and ... you get it sighted in and don't touch the turrent knobs just use mildots. Use the turrent knobs and you will waste alot of ammo chasing the crosshairs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Skidley-nice pics, sounds like some good times on the hill with the family. Congrats.

About the muley, I am with Brad I am also curious about the 182 score. Pics are so darn weird if you don't mind could you please post the numbers you have on the sheet for us. (you now all the G's the H's the inside and the mb's)

Not saying it doesn't score 182 but it just is so tough in mind to see it from this pic.

Many thanks and not trying to ruffle feathers...honestly.

Thx

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KUDUBULL
posted Hide Post
Great bucks! ALL of them, sounds like a great year!

Ray Matthews
Matthews Outdoor Adventures
2808 Bainbridge Trail
Mansfield, Texas 76063

Posts: 321 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 18 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This just proves my belief, that nothing is more rewarding on the subject of hunting than being able to see the successes of your children... and knowing that you taught them well... and they are carrying on the tradition those ANTI's want to take away from us all...

Congrats to your son... but as a father... bigger congrats to a proud dad... your son did good and so did DAD!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to post this separate not to spoil the congratulations...

Like Hot Core, I am pretty impressed that you have a BSA scope that has held up to that kinda recoil...

I have not had good luck with the two 4 x 16s with the mildots that I have had...

I have one here that needs to go back for repair that was on a 22 Long Rifle!

I think your luck, is the exception to the rule, as opposed to the norm...

on the other end, on a local 1000 yd shooting matches I attended for a while here locally, a lot of guys had all sorts of exotic and expensive stuff out there competing....

but one kid in his early 20s use to show up with his dad... both were misplaced Alaskan eskimos....

this kid worked an $8.00 an hour job... so he competed only with his hunting rifle, which was a Savage 110 in 260 Rem, ( all straight factory) and a cheap 6 x 24 MilDot scoped BSA on top of it....

But this young man, consistently placed, if not won many matches, against much more spendy equipment, in both rifles and optics...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Skidley and Seafire, Thank you both for the BSA info.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote