New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mulie ML Hunting Suggestions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There's another post here about hunting methods that I consider a wonderful change from what we've seen of late. Nothing specific, just generalities with hints of things to look for and try from a variety of individuals.

Well, I got a muzzleloader/any species/any sex permit from Kansas. I'd been thinking about getting into this the last several years and now I finally have a muzzleloader so I'm going.

Just for background, the normal centerfire season in KS is in early December, usually well past rut. This muzzleloader season takes place from September 14-27. In theory, the deer should have little if any pressure (just from the few bowhunters out there) by then and should be much easier to hunt.

Here's my thinking for a typical day. Get to a good spot for whitetail and try to catch a BIG guy going to bed. With no luck I'll head for the hills and draws and do a bunch of glassing to attempt to locate a mulie then do a spot and stalk over the edge of the hill in hopes of a good shot.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Reed

Posts: 649 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 29 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't fault your plans, Reed, except to say the more PRE-hunt knowledge you can gather, the better off you'll be. Then on the hunt, have some good optics and GO SLOW. The deer have a 10 to 1 better chance of spotting you than you do them usually.

Send me a hind quarter for this good advice. [Big Grin]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The pre-hunt scouting is a bit tough as it's just so far away that I typically make it out for the hunting only. I hunt the area during the regular deer season, spring turkey season, and upland bird season every year for a number of years now, so I have a pretty good idea of how things fit together for those species. That hunting takes place in the riverbottoms, the milo fields, etc., but not necessarily the higher pasture ground with the deep draws which seems to be where the Mule Deer like to hang out.

My thought on hitting first light for whitetail is that I'm familiar with those places but the pressure is MUCH greater when I hunt during the regular season thus making things much more difficult. I'm thinking by being there in September I stand a chance of seeing deer that just seem to disappear during the regular season.

What I'm curious about is if anyone that hunts Mule Deer a lot has anything to say about "throwing away" first light for trying to locate one on it's way to bed by being elsewhere doing the same for whitetail?

I hope this makes sense. I've got a lot going through my mind at the moment.

As for glass. In addition to the Leica 10x25 compacts that I already own I'm pretty damned close to buying a pair of those 8-12 Leicas as well. That should make for some pleasurable glassing...

Thanks,

Reed

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Reed:
The pre-hunt scouting is a bit tough

Reed, Don't sweat the scouting that much. I've found that deer in the late season in agricultural areas are MUCH different than pre season. The combination of harvesting, changes in weather, and hunters in earlier season really move them around (at least for whitetails). Plus they tend to group up more a month or two after rutting.

Knowing where they were LAST December is more helpful than knowing where they are this October. At least, that's my experience.

Go for areas which in general have good deer populations and then look for small pockets of habitat, places that won't get a lot of attention but are close to food, and have good cover for hiding from people as well as the wind.

Love those Leicas - I use 10x42s by the hour. Wouldn't trade them for the world.

Good luck,
Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent,

I'm really thinking of tucked away places for this hunt and I do have a few at my disposal. Have you ever tried this spot and stalk stuff on mulies?

On another topic, did you ever learn more/follow through on the unguided moose/caribou hunt?

Yeah, those Leicas may be mine before too long. I'm just kind of stretched, and another $1400 won't help.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Reed