New
Find
Notify
Tools

CO GMU 521
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of you guys ever hunted in 521 for elk? Some members on another board are planning on putting together a group hunt. One guy suggested 521, he has hunted there before but it was many years ago. I'm used to 551, and have suggested it as a possibility...but hey, maybe its time to try something new, right?

what kind of terrain are we talking about? Seeing as its farther west I'm assuming it might be a bit more mesa-ish type hunting verses the high alpine type country of the continental divide.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I’ve hunted both 521 and 53 back in the 70s around McClure Pass. During archery and muzzleloading seasons as I recall the southeast side of unit 521 was not hunter friendly. The terrain is somewhat steep to very steep with a lot of scrub oak. I took 2 deer in that area. Unit 53 is much easier terrain and prettier at that. I took one deer in unit 53. That was the last year I hunted the area before moving to the northern part of the state. There were no elk in the area during the early seasons back then. Unit 521 is a fair sized GMU with a lot better terrain than the area I hunted. It may be a great elk unit but not were I hunted.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mick!

I did a google on it, from some other boards it looks like between the new gas sights, and hunter pressure....I think we might look to another area. Several forums there were multiple posts about people never going there again because they saw a lot more orange vests then animals of any kind!

I was hoping to try some new areas, but I might just stick to 551.

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote