New
Find
Notify
Tools

California Rio Pics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was able to get some pics finally last weekend of some Rio turkeys in the central coast of California.

Camera was an Olympus 2100 UZ with a Olympus B300 1.7x tele lens.

I found a flock of turkeys on a private ranch where I've filmed them before. No one can hunt these turkeys so I can also call them to get them fired up for some strut pics. Here is one tom in the shade of a group of trees in late afternoon.

-

One of the jakes

-

It had been raining for several days and the toms had shut dwn pretty good. I tried just about all my calls trying to get a reponse. Finally one old tom had enough of my fighting purrs and he jumped up to chase there 2 poor jakes around who just happended to be nearby. One tom finally gobbled when the ranch dog ran up and startled him.

-

-

-

-

-

[ 05-05-2003, 08:58: Message edited by: spectr17 ]

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Nice pics. Turkeys have really made a comeback, at least in Texas where I live. Back 30 years ago or so, they were practically non-existant in the Hill Country where I hunted, extremely wary. Now we see lots of birds, even with all the development and hunting pressure, very encouraging.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey Jesse,

Nice pics......thanks for sharing them. I am looking forward to using my last tag.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Couldn't you get any closer? [Big Grin]

Real nice pictures, thanks for posting them.

Posts: 6263 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the specs on that lens?

Surely you don't mean it's a 300mm F1.7? [Eek!] [Eek!]

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry rick3foxes,

That's a typo, the B300 is a 1.7x tele. About 300mm worth of tele in 35mm camera speak.

Posts: 424 | Location: Kali-fornya via Missouri | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote