New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ohio Gun Season
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Opening morning the wind was blowing and deer movement was slow I had two handy cap hunters in a blind in a river bottom. They were seeing a few does but like alot of hunters they were looking for antlers. Around ten one of the fellow shots at a six point and hit it low on the front leg,I looked for five hours altogather but just couldn't fine any trace of it. I found where he crossed the river but there just wasn't any blood. He told me he though it was a hundred yards but I felt it was more like one hundred and fourthy. What caught me so funny the fellow sitting with him said Chris spazzed out when he saw the buck and was so excited that it took him some time to get him calmed down. The second day was blinding snow at times with high winds again I moved one guy back into the timber thinking maybe deer movement would be better. We were seeing plenty of tracks in the snow but the whole day passed and he never seen a deer. Another fellow was in the same bottom as the day before hunting from his truck. He was seeing a number of does but over all a slow day again. Some of the does were with in thirty yards of his truck but passed thinking about the big buck. At four thirty I am glassing a open feild with a small stream passing though it. Up stands a doe from the taller grass and starts working in the direction of the hunter. About a minuite later a ten point stands up not twenty yards from while the doe was bedded down and heads the same direction. I look at my watch and see we have 42 minuites till we are done under the law. Feeling that should be enough time to get them down in the bottom where he was.At five he calls me and asked how long he had yet, I asked if he had seen a buck and doe. No was his answer,so the drive way leaving the bottom runs right along this little strip of timber. I tell him to drive real slow and they were probably standing in there. He pokes along and later tells me he never seen anything, so I have to run back and lock a gate. My diesel truck is alot louder then his little pickup was so as I get to the strip of trees up pops the buck and doe at fifty yards , I didn't have the heart to tell him they were so close but still they all had a great time and thats what its all about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad you had some success at seeing some decent deer and it was a slow week for me also. Saw very few deer till the last morning when I saw 8 does and fawns at over 200 yds away. Saw a buck at sunset on saturday also 200 yds away. Didn't want to try that long of a shot with my pistol. Just now catching up on everything.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote