Find
Notify
Tools

Splitting the kill?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted
My deer camp has fed my family for years. There has never been a question where the meat goes, in my freezer. We depend on it throughout the year. This year I have invited a freind to hunt with us. He is a good freind and an experienced hunter. We want to keep him around. Most of all I want to be fair with the meat. So, let's say he shoots the only deer. How do we split the meat?

If we, as a group shoot 3 deer but he shoots none, how do we split the meat?

I want to be fair most of all. He has filled a stand, bought a tag, equipment and participated in the hunt and deserves a split.

How do you do it?

Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a couple of ideas, but your precise arrangement is not clear.

Did he pay to hunt? I.e. pay a portion of the lease or trespass fees such that he has the same access rights as you? Or is he just an occasional guest you've invited for a couple of weekends? Or is this your land?

Did he put up his own stand or feeder? Did he pay a portion of the corn put in feeders? Participate in any of the pre-season work?

How plentiful are the deer? Given your location's game laws and deer quantity, is there a legitimate possibility that only one deer will be taken?

These answers will shed more light on the exact arrangement. Otherwise, I think any answer I give you would be based mostly on experiences in situations that might or might not be similar to yours.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
We've always hunted with the understanding that you keep what you kill. Doesn't matter if you are a guest or the owner. Not everyone wants all of their meat, so giving someone some meat is pretty common. How much to give is always at the discretion of the guy who shot the meat.

Remember, it's called hunting, not killing or harvesting. If you want meat for sure, raise some cows.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Otto,
Strange post. YOU invited him. He has paid so therefore he isn't really considered a guest. A guest doesn't pay and put equipment or time or energy into a deer camp.
IMO once he's done that then he's a contributing member.
Did you take into consideration who to invite as a 'guest'? I'm a horn hunter and for the most part could care less about the meat. Sounds like you should have made sure you invited someone like myself - a horn hunter and not a meat hunter.
Since you 'depend' on the meat, you better make sure you saved the best spot for yourself and hunt extra hard this year.

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went hunting with 4 friends a while ago. I was the only one to get a bull down. I like the back legs, so I made sure I got atleast 1. Take what you want, I said, still had about half of the elk and ofcourse I took the horns. If I was in your situation I could care less just because deer are easy to come by where I'm from. Its all up to you.

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im my group, which is almost all family, we have been fortunate enough that there is a lot of meat at the end of the season. We consider the meat as the "property" of the person who shot it, but because someone nearly always ends up with more than they can use, the successful hunter gives away to ohters as much as he chooses. This year, for example, while brother and I and our kids have already shot as much as we're likely to eat, we'll still keep hunting and offer it to others in the group. (If no one else wants it we'll donate it to a food pantry.)

It was not always so for us. When I started hunting in northern Wisconsin in the early 70's there were not nearly as many deer as there are now and western hunts were something we only dreamed about. We didn't shoot much venison, and what we did shoot was petty evenly divided amongst the group-- unless someone didn't want any, which was sometimes the case.

I would suggest you talk this over with your friend before you start hunting so that there are no hard feelings afterword. The meat is important, but friendships are important too!

Posts: 571 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In our group we don't split deer other than the heart and liver in camp, the shooter puts the deer in his freezer. We do share elk tho among those in camp that help pack it/them out.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In our elk camp the person who kills the animal is entitled to the hide and antlers. The meat is split evenly with everyone who hunted. The reason for this is that it is a group effort to get the animal quartered, bagged and packed, dealing with the horses, butchered, etc.

Posts: 481 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 14 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is definitely something you want to get settled before you go into camp. I've had it both ways and it depends on the camp. Is each hunter on his own or do you have drives. Do you take turns trying to push deer toward one another and so forth.

One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
This is my land. 60 acres of pine forrest and poplar brush. I bought it and paid for it. My son and I have built all the stands, cut all the roads and trails. We have cleared all the shooting lanes. We have built 6 stands with a 7th on the way.

I am looking for a certain individual who is willing to help me work the property for the purpose of collecting venison. Money investment is not required. Except they must buy their own tag and gear.

In return for the work they are rewarded the right to join my deer camp and reap the bennies of the venison and freindship of the hunt.

Does this sound reasonable?

Posts: 439 | Location: Rosemount, MN | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In our moose camp, we always divvy meat out equally. Usually we have 4 in camp so we try to get 2 moose and we don't over hunt the area (ie. we aren't game hogs). This last year, my brother came up from the Lower -48. He's gonna get his share from my portion. Here in Ak., we pretty well depend on getting a moose in the freezer for the winter. BTW, 1/2 moose keeps my wife & I in meat for just about a year & we eat it all the time.
I think the proper thing to do is divide it up as equally as possible.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What ever you decide, as stillbeeman said, get it clear before you go hunt. This is one of the reasons I choose to hunt alone, not the main one, but still a big reason. I have literally seen friendships end over this very subject. Some years ago, a guy I worked with was invited on a hunt, his first. He was the only one that shot a deer, the guys that brought him along, informed him after the fact, that they would split up "his" deer. The outcome wasn't pretty, and the guy hasn't hunted since. I was invited on a hunt about seven years ago, I had already filled a couple tags the weekend before. The "hunt" turned into a debacle, with at least five wounded deer (the main reason I hunt alone). Out of eight guys, four of them teenagers, two of us stayed and cleaned up the mess. I shot four of the five cripples, and ended up with about ten pounds of sausage. We did not discuss it before hand, and as I said, I already had meat in the freezer, but it still pissed me off a bit.

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of daniel77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45otto:
This is my land. 60 acres of pine forrest and poplar brush. I bought it and paid for it. My son and I have built all the stands, cut all the roads and trails. We have cleared all the shooting lanes. We have built 6 stands with a 7th on the way.

I am looking for a certain individual who is willing to help me work the property for the purpose of collecting venison. Money investment is not required. Except they must buy their own tag and gear.

In return for the work they are rewarded the right to join my deer camp and reap the bennies of the venison and freindship of the hunt.

Sounds reasonable to me. I know of several such situations, where one individual pays his membership with sweat rather than cash.

Posts: 3628 | Location: cajun country | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
In Arizona we don't have leases etc. But if a friend helps me out ie. packs and assists in the kill I always send several packages of steaks, burger, and a roast or two his way. He does not get half but if he helped me out a bunch he will get close to it.

Posts: 762 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If its your land and I was hunting there. I'd ask you if you wanted 50% or the first deer down (assuming you have multiple tags).

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own the land we all hunt on, everyone else for free. I think I have only been offered meat once. We each keep all of what we kill. Of course, I would love to make some kind of rule, like I get half. I'd like Prima Noctis, too, while we're making rules. I need some peasants, and less freeloaders. Wink

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Miss we hunted with dogs and a lot of standers.The one who shot the deer got the horns and a hindquarter.Now I hunt on my friends property and he has more to feed than I do(just me and the Wife)so i ask if he wants some .We both put up the feeders and plant foodplots.So it will be up to you.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Under the circumstances, you'd certainly be right to set some ground rules and requirements. Just be up front with him and explain the deal before he commits to anything.

This sort of thing illustrates how fortunate I am to live in Texas. We've got more deer than we can handle in many parts of the state. We need to kill more deer than we are, and it ain't hard. I've shot does and 15 minutes later the rest of the group was back feeding around poor ole Maybel who didn't get up after that last clap of thunder.... We don't have these sorts of questions because deer need killing, and everyone even a day guest can have a decent shot at tagging a doe for some meat.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I am suprised at the majority of replies.

I would never assume, (until reading the above,) anything other than an equal division of all meat regardless of circumstances, need, priority, whatever. It doesn't matter if its moose, mule deer or anything in between, I'd never fill my tag and think anything other than sharing with the two or four or twenty in camp.

I had a so called friend and hunting partner share some neck, ribs and front shoulder with me the year I took him hunting. I "guided," him to a nice moose, stood on one foot and then the other waiting for him to shoot it and of course helped with all the field processing. I didn't get a moose that year as I was trophy hunting and let one to many bulls go by. Upon our return to Dillingham I had to be the one to bring up the division of the meat and he allowed that he'd share the lesser cuts but would be keeping the prime cuts for himself. In the five or six years that have passed since that last camp I shared with him he hasn't taken a bull of any kind and I haven't missed. Whoops.

Posts: 9222 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
anything other than an equal division of all meat regardless of circumstances, need, priority, whatever.

Which is why the circumstances of the situation are so important to the answers.

LWD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given that the camp is yours and you invited him, the decision is completely yours. You don't have to give him anything. But, if I was in your shoes, I would split the meat 50/50. Being a good host really does pay off. How to assure an equal split and avoid protests later?

This is how we do it:
If we go on a hunt together we always share the meat pretty much equally. It doesn't matter who shot the animal or on whos land it was shot. I say "pretty much" because generally as a sign of respect the shooter gets "the exclusive bits": tongue, liver, heart, kidneys and the tenderloin. Usually, again as a sign of respect to his mates, the shooter cooks the liver and heart and feeds the delicious dish to his hunting buddies. If there is a dog involved, the doghandler gets the lungs and other invaluable parts for his dog.
Now for the main part. Most of the meat is divided into more-less equal piles. If there are, let's say 3 men, you make 3 piles. Ensure that each pile gets more-less of an equal amount of different types of meat. Then you select two men. One will be facing away from the meat so he cant see the piles. The other will point at a random pile and ask "Who's is it?". The first man will name a random name from the hunting party. This ensures that even though the piles are not 100% equal, the divider can't compile a special pile of his own because there is no way of knowing which pile he will end up with.
In our case it has always worked. Plus it has evolved into a nice little traditional ceremony at the end of the day.

Posts: 94 | Location: North-Eastern Europe, Estonia | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Interesting to hear how it is done in the US.

Here in England I have some Fallow Deer staking where I need to take about 30+ deer a year and to help in that I have a handfull of guests that come and shoot for me in order to help get the cull done. These are all wild and free ranging.

The guys have to have proved their ability to me forst and then I let them sit in stands alone. They pay nothing, apart from help in moving/erecting stands and perhaps some help around the pheasant shoot.

They are asked to shoot foxes for preference over deer as part of the wild bird and rearing programme protection.

All venison stays the property of the estate, (Me) If I have extra then occasionally the real hard workers will take a carcass home with them.

Paying guests that come out stalking don't put the work in and it is traditional that they can buy the carcass after their hunt for the going price. They are also expercted to buy the carcass if the deer is gut shot or shot in such a way that the carcass is not saleable to the game dealer. That requirement is not extended to the culling team as it rarely occurs and so I just give them the deer in question.

Because over the course of the year I will do somewhere in the region of 12-14 shoot dinners for between 20-30 individuals each time then I use the venison for that purpose. At that time usually someone will ask for the provenance of the beast and who is responsible, then a glass will be raised to their good health and continued success.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the meat is that critical to you, the obvious answer is to not invite anyone but your immediate family.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that if he kills it, he gets it. But that's my take, obviously other areas of the country and other camps have different rules.

The MAIN thing is to get the ground rules of the meat split, if any, COMPLETELY CLEAR before he spends any time, money, or effort on your ground. If you don't do this, I can almost guarantee that you're going to have hard feelings and possibly a lost friend over what started as a nice gesture on your part.

As mentioned above, we've got more deer than we can use in most parts of Texas, so our views on meat division are somewhat different than other areas. Many of the "common" meat views seem to go back to some kind of tribal traditions. Since my tribes are back in Europe, I don't subscribe to any of those traditions. Doesn't make me right and others wrong, just different viewpoints. OTOH, if I was invited to hunt in a "split meat" camp, doing so wouldn't bother me at all, but I'd be a lot happier about it if I knew the ground rules before I went.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
If you have to ask this question then you should not have invited him... If he is a good friend then you know in your heart what is right.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have to ask this question then you should not have invited him... If he is a good friend then you know in your heart what is right.

I'm not sure I'd go this far, but this does suggest a question: why are you really inviting him? Do you want him there because he's your friend? If so, is it necessary to make him part of the whole season? I.e have him join the camp? Or could you achieve the friendship purposes by inviting him out for a weekend? Or are you really inviting him because you need help shooting deer?

I guess I sense some unresolved indecision here. You may have to decide which is more important: your friend's participation and happiness versus your filled freezer.

Just be sure you're upfront with him before the season starts if that's necessary depending on local custom.

LWD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
45otto, do you have alot of deer on your property. If the answer is yes, why can't all or most of you tag out. Then you won't have to worry about sharing.

Posts: 527 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 45otto
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your thoughts.
I have spent much time considering this question. I have spoken at length with other hunters and the friend in question. Here is what I have come up with.

Understand the camp is my kid, wife, myself and grampa.
Grampa does not want a deer. He will be happy with a few dinner invitations.

If the camp kills one deer. We split the meat 50/50.
If camp kills more than one but kevin kills none. He gets 1/2 of largest deer.
If camp kills more than one deer and kevin kills one. He gets deer he killed.
If kevin kills more than one deer he gets to choose which one he tags and we get rest.

In any case, deer are killed, Kevin gets venison.

However, If kevin is not in camp when deer are killed, He has no claim to any venison.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Complicated but sounds fair to me. As long as Kevin understands it going in, it should be a good time had by all. Weidmansheil.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45otto:

Your Camp,your rules.Just make them known up front.Personally unless hunting game larger than Deer,I say everyone keeps their meat and if they want to share thats fine.I dont know were you are from ,but here in Wi. we can group hunt untill all tags are filled.I usually will not shoot an animal for some one else unless they request it.

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had a so called friend and hunting partner share some neck, ribs and front shoulder with me the year I took him hunting. I "guided," him to a nice moose, stood on one foot and then the other waiting for him to shoot it and of course helped with all the field processing. I didn't get a moose that year as I was trophy hunting and let one to many bulls go by. Upon our return to Dillingham I had to be the one to bring up the division of the meat and he allowed that he'd share the lesser cuts but would be keeping the prime cuts for himself. In the five or six years that have passed since that last camp I shared with him he hasn't taken a bull of any kind and I haven't missed. Whoops

That was kind of rude of the guy! I mean, with a moose, for crying out loud, there is plenty to go around. In your neck of the woods I understand how critical a winters meat supply can be. Other places not quite so important. No gift or anything for you taking him? Not even a kiss on the cheek after bending you over?

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
I let my guest have the deer they shoot even though I bust my tail preparing all of the stands. I get enjoyment out of seeing others take game and feeding their families with the meat. I even help them retrieve the game as well as help take care of the meat.

In your situation, I wouldn't invite anyone at all.

Have a good one,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that's complicated. Are you sure you want anybody else killing "your" deer? I'd bet you are a hoot to carpool with.

You eat what you kill. Eagles and Lions kill their own food. Buzzards and Hyenas eat what others kill. It's called scavenging... Sort of like welfare. Let somebody else do the work, and be there for your "share".

Pitiful...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Clearly from the responses so far there is no universal method of handling this question. My recommendation is to discuss this up front with the new person. If they are OK with sharing the meat as you described, problem solved. If they instead insist that any deer they kill is theirs, then you have to decide whether you can abide by that cheerfully or whether you will ask them to remove their stand and disinvite them from the hunt. While it is water over the dam, this is a subject that should have been discussed up front if it is critical which way the question turns.

I read your follow-up post about your plans on how to handle the situation. It sounds fair and equitable to me. It also sounds complicated. Sounds like you have reached a solution to your problem, which is the important thing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the "camp" is gonna be a fluid thing with people coming and going. You're not gonna be packing back in somewhere and staying for a couple of weeks.
That sort of changes things for me.

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've guided a lot of people and seen a lot of friendships made and some broken during hunts. While I hope I'm wrong, I think there will be some hard feelings sooner or later when a hunt has that many rules.

I think its great the meat is that important to you, just please don't let it affect friendships. That fallout will last a lot longer than the meat.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
quote:
I had a so called friend and hunting partner share some neck, ribs and front shoulder with me the year I took him hunting. I "guided," him to a nice moose, stood on one foot and then the other waiting for him to shoot it and of course helped with all the field processing. I didn't get a moose that year as I was trophy hunting and let one to many bulls go by. Upon our return to Dillingham I had to be the one to bring up the division of the meat and he allowed that he'd share the lesser cuts but would be keeping the prime cuts for himself. In the five or six years that have passed since that last camp I shared with him he hasn't taken a bull of any kind and I haven't missed. Whoops

That was kind of rude of the guy! I mean, with a moose, for crying out loud, there is plenty to go around. In your neck of the woods I understand how critical a winters meat supply can be. Other places not quite so important. No gift or anything for you taking him? Not even a kiss on the cheek after bending you over?

The first time I shared a deer I was 18 years old. My dear departed uncle took me on a hunt up in the national forrest several hours from his home and I lucked into a rather smallish forked horn. Uncle Malc helped or maybe led the way with all the field processing and packing out and on the way back to his house mentioned that on trips like that one all meat is divided equally among hunting partners as it truely was a group hunting effort. I really didn't know any better but whatever he said was fine with me so thats the way I just assumed it always must be.

I the case I previously mentioned, like I said, I really was an un paid guide. My boat, I drove, my camp, I led the hunt, the field dressing, the packing to camp, the packing home. Certainly the guest paid for plenty of gas and grub, and otherwise was a good friend and fellow around town, but that bull was his in his opinion and he grudgingly shared the neck. Hey, no biggie, I did have ample opportunity to take a bull for myself, I had no one other than myself to blame for the lack of dead red meat. The next years and the ones thereafter I didn't invite him along, I focused on getting a bull for myself and gthe other fellows I go with and there is no problem.

This last September the old hunting partner was up hunting for a week with his brother in law and both goose egged.

I know its pie in the sky, but I'd like to be able to assume that any invited guest would be cognizant of their situation, inquire of and remaine aware of their hosts preferences and expectations, and if the host is so inclined, don't smoke in the pickup, don't drink to excess while handling firearms, don't hit on his daughter, don't kick his dog, do offer to help with cam chores at least once and by all means, share taken game if appropriate.

Is courtesy and consideration really that unusual any more?

Posts: 9222 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting replies. It seems to me that the further north you get the more likely people are to share the kill. With deer we usually keep our own mainly because deer hunting is more of an individual achievement. Moose and elk are usually shared.

I hunt with a fellow who was raised in the States and he never shares, must be the way he was raised. With that in mind I don't mind not sharing my meat with him.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was aware of the differences but still am a little surprised by some. In my Dad's camp everyone got some meat who wanted it, I supplied a few of the old guys who couldn't or didn't get far from the cabin starting at about 15.

Since Dad has been gone - usually whomever takes a deer on our place offers me some prime cuts - I usually accept, they are my guests and have always acted courteously....something about continued invitations probably plays into that but generally they are just that type of guy.

Out of state Elk hunts are a different story - I have changed groups 3 times now based on not helping, wanting a share of the meat but not being willing to help in the work unless they had filled their tag. The idea they should reciprocate labor as well as meat being strange to some of them, and some really skewed sharing of costs for a trip. The funniest one was a guy running down the hill to stay at a hotel for three days out of fear of being stuck in the snow......less than 2 miles downhill walk to civilization with 2 weeks of food in camp.

This year no jerks, no wierd stuff, no lace panty hunters and lots of elk meat - shared by both successful hunters with the one unsuccesful.

Posts: 299 | Location: California | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is courtesy and consideration really that unusual any more?

I think it is, some times people, myself included, over look the little things.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another sharing thing regarding expenses. If we use my truck I don't expect to pay for gas and if we use someone elses truck I pay for all of the gas. I figure that the cost of gas is about equal to the wear and tear/depreciation on the truck.

the chef