Notify
Tools

Hunting Near Medford, OR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted
Hi,

I am looking at some property near Medford to use as a hunting/fishing/getaway retreat and was wondering if any locals to the area could give me the low down on the hunting opportunities in the specific area.

One property is in Eagle Point east of Crowfoot Road between Hwy 62 and Butte Falls Hwy and one is in Butte Falls east of the intersection of Crowfoot/Butte Falls Hwy. They are pretty close to each other.

Both border BLM and/or Timber co lands on at least 2 sides. They both have good water sources, pretty good forage and seem like they would be excellent hunting properties. There is deer/elk/turkey sign on both properties.

Has anyone hunted the area? Thoughts/opinions/impressions? Any bear and cougar in the immediate area? Is the area known for resident game animal populations or is it more migratory? Trophy animals? How is the bird hunting?

Would very much appreciate any insight. I am going to call the DFG shortly but thought I should ask the local hunters what they thought as well.

Any other areas in Southern Oregon I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hi, bulldog,
Your area is hit or miss for trophy elk and muleys years ago it was teeming with game ,development and the influx of calafoonians have put a hurt on so. or. hunting.
not to be overly pessimistic a friend of mine from your area of inquiry (shady cove0 took a 390 bull in his back yard last year.sometimes i wonder????????????

Posts: 40 | Location: Scio, Or. | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I've hunted that area quite a bit... either place doesn't offer anything better than the other.. unless you are looking to hunt in a lawn chair off your back deck, with a 12 pack cooling nearby...then I couldn't advise you..

There are plenty of elk herds running back and forth thru there.. and definitely a lot of big bulls in the entire area...

cougar also run thru there a lot.. which has put a real hurt on the deer population, compared to what it was 10 years ago or so..

it use to be almost like shooting fish in a barrel..there still are some very big bucks around that entire area tho...

bear populations are also very strong in southern Oregon and over by Butte Falls is no exception...seen plenty of bear sign up there in many different places...not as heavily as Josephine County where I live ( Grants Pass), but there still is plenty up there also...

if you need any more info, feel free to drop me a PM...

cheers
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote