New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes on Elk...(long)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
3 of us went on a drop camp in the Flattops Wilderness of NC Colorado and came home with 3 Elk, 2 cows 1 bull. The details:
Rifles: Sako TRG 300 Winmag, 168 Triple shock;
Browning 300 Win Shortmag, 168gr Trpshk;
H & R 270Win 130 Xlc-bt.

First shot was at a lasered (Leica) 419 yards on the bull, a small 4x3. The 300 Winmag shoots, and the bull stands there looking at us, then I shoot (270Win) and he limps behind a tree. We climb up and find he walked about 30 feet before collapsing. Bullet went in low on the right side and broke the left front leg on the way out. Bullet was not recovered. I think it's the 270 that hit him.
Elk #2 was a cow at 75 yards, and fell at the shot with the 270, bullet was not recovered.
Elk #3 was a cow at a lasered 456yds (uphill), shot with the 300 Shortmag. Standing broadside, she dropped at the shot, rolled downhill 30 yards and never moved. Bullet went in low on the left side and broke the right upper leg bone on the way out. Bullet was not recovered.

To put it bluntly, these bullets are awesome. To be sure, they do not make up for poor shot placement, but when placed right, WOW!
Fred in Colorado

Posts: 37 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fred,

Great hunt! Sent you an email.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats K22Hornet,

What season did you go? I'll be heading that way in a week or so. Glad you did well. Take care

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote