Find
Notify
Tools

A fun afternoon last week
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I haven't been seeing any bigger bucks in my corn or clover patches over the past couple of weeks so last Friday afternoon I went back in some woods that are between some stands of planted pines. Shortly after getting on my stand, at around 5:20pm I saw three bucks together, which surprised me as the second rut is still going on here in SW GA. One was a spike, another an eight, and the third appeared to be a the largest in the group. The larger deer finally stepped out where I could see him briefly. Before he stepped into a thicket I had at most a second to decide if he was a shooter or not. I decided he was and popped him. He was a nice mainframe 12-pointer. He also had one kicker near a brow tine that was about an inch long, so I guess I could claim him to be a 13-pointer.
One thing that was interesting was how much weight he had lost chasing does for the past month. Most of our older bucks weigh in the 200-210 area, though I did shoot one that weighed 245 a couple of years ago. Anyway, this one, along with most older bucks taken this time of year, had lost almost all of his fat and was very thin along the lower portion of his back. We figured he had lost somwhere around 25-30 pounds from where he was a month ago. I hope this one had had a very successful love life this year.... Wink
I shot him with some of my handloads in .270. Here are some pics...What do you think?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think he is great! That is a good job in field judging him and executing a shot so quickly.

I am seeing a good bit of rut activity here in North Georgia right now, in fact I saw a shooter while driving through one of our properties the other day, I hope I can get a chance to hunt once or twice there before season closes!

It sure is nice to adjust your tactics and get a big boy like that.

Congrats--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
Looks like you shot him on somebodies lawn!!

rotflmo

Just messin' with ya. Nice deer.

MM

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope I believe it was somewhere on the back 9. about the 15th green I do believe...

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Isn't a red-neck golfer defined as someone who thinks hunting privileges are included with greens fees? Wink

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Well done, and a stylish rifle I see!

cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a very nice buck.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Vic, Congratulations on a fine Buck. Nice to be able to take one like that any time.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Vic,

That buck was definitly a shooter and a pretty one! Your seem to have an excellent land management program going on.

~Ann

Posts: 19248 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Heck of a Buck!

Congrats

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote