Find
Notify
Tools

2023 Aoudad
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted
I usually try to hunt one every year. I’m picky now, because I have shot a couple 32-34” sheep. This year I had a particular one I wanted that would probably eclipse my best sheep, but this ram kept showing up everywhere I went. He’s not as big as the target ram, but he’s a solid trophy! Hard to pass him up too many times before I gave in. He’s 32” on his unbroomed/broken horn and a massive sheep to boot.

I have room for one more free range, spot and stalk hunt In December if anyone is interested. I do 3-4/year and the sheep look good this year. I’m in NW Texas before you get to the Panhandle. 150 miles from Lubbock and Amarillo.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Really nice ram.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
It looks great to me but I don't know Aoudad.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
What a beauty!

Posts: 1064 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1098 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thy is a very nice trophy. Congratulations

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1042 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great ram. Congrats.
I love hunting Aoudad.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30.06king:
Great ram. Congrats.
I love hunting Aoudad.

They are, hands down, the best introduced game animal in North America. It ain’t a Bighorn, but the next best thing in sheep hunting.

Just my opinion. Everyone has a favorite.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
A dandy ram all right, and the terrain looks to be very interesting -- and a bit more forgiving than the west face of the Sacramento mountains with all the loose rock, vertical drops and Spanish dagger: "No Country for Old Men," of which I am one. rotflmo

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16368 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wendell Reich:
quote:
Great ram. Congrats.
I love hunting Aoudad.

They are, hands down, the best introduced game animal in North America. It ain’t a Bighorn, but the next best thing in sheep hunting.

For the cost these days of a classical sheep hunt I wouldn't contemplate it. Admittedly, I am a tightarse but I just can't see the value of a sheep hunt for the cost involved. But Aoudad are the bees knees. To a guy who loves hunting Aoudad give eerything a hunt should give and true aporeciation for the prize if successful on a big, mature ram. And cost isn't ridiculous.
This isn't a dig at those hunters sold on classical sheep. If that's what floats your boat I wish you great hunting.

Posts: 2016 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
Great ram. Congrats.
I love hunting Aoudad.

For the cost these days of a classical sheep hunt I wouldn't contemplate it. Admittedly, I am a tightarse but I just can't see the value of a sheep hunt for the cost involved. But Aoudad are the bees knees. To a guy who loves hunting Aoudad give evrything a hunt should give and true aporeciation for the prize if successful on a big, mature ram. And cost isn't ridiculous.
This isn't a dig at those hunters sold on classical sheep. If that's what floats your boat I wish you great hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Great ram. Congrats.
I love hunting Aoudad.

For the cost these days of a classical sheep hunt I wouldn't contemplate it. Admittedly, I am a tightarse but I just can't see the value of a sheep hunt for the cost involved. But Aoudad are the bees knees. To a guy who loves hunting Aoudad give everything a hunt should give and true appreciation for the prize if successful on a big, mature ram. And cost isn't ridiculous.

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
30-06.

Agree. For the money, the experience of hunting Aoudad can’t be beat. They are hefty majestic animals. Most Texas hunts are 3-5 days and success rate is extremely high due to a target rich environment. I can’t speak to NM Aoudad.

When they stand on a cliff face, chaps blowing in the wind, it’s hard not to be impressed. They are just the coolest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a dandy ram Wendell! Well done!

Best of Hunting,
Mark Hampton

Posts: 126 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Congrats Wendell!

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. He’s not the biggest Aoudad I have shot. But he’s still a beast! Nothing compares to spot and stalk Aoudad hunting.