2. Jack O'Connor

1950's guys

1. Hemingway
2. Ruark

Before that

Annabel
Roosevelt
Whelan

Things get kind of hazy when you really get to go too far back.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ones has in inclued Jack and Elmer in the 50's and they were writeing before that.

I think that Hemingway and Ruark were more story tellers that used guns. Then actual gun writers that wrote about guns.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I think Elmer has some book from the 1930s, but he and Jack both died in the 1970s.

I guess I should have worded it differently.

Posts: 955 | Location: Until I am back North of 60. | Registered: 07 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I think that Hemingway and Ruark were more story tellers that used guns. Then actual gun writers that wrote about guns.[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with that. They were both newsman turned authors who wrote a few pieces about hunting. Great stuff from both no doubt but I would not include them as great gunwriters. Same goes for TR; a politician that kept excellent records of his adventures.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I am not all that impressed with any of todays gun writers. IMO they are a whole lot like todays hunting shows in that their articles are more infomercial than anything else, again that is just my opinion. I usually read Boddington's articles, also Ross Seyfried.Before these two, Keith and O'Connor, some of Warren Page's stuff. Finn Aagard and Jim Carmichael.

Many years back the living gun/outdoor writers were asked to define how they felt about hunting and Jim Carmicnael's is the one I remember the best.

He simply stated that he liked hunting an no further explanation was neccessary, I feel that same way. Other writers I used to read were "Skeeter" Skelton, Russsell Annabell,Wooter's, some of John Barsness stuff, Byron Dalrymple.

My favorites are Keith and O'Connor and in that order. Keith was the one that got me interested in the larger caliber rifles and also he was very opinionated and was willing to state his opinions regardless of other peoples thoughts on the issue.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have read all of the above. I have never cared for Jack O or E Keith - just not my style or taste.

On your list, I would rate Wooters the highest as I like what he says and his style.

Thanks for leaving Terry Wieland off the list. I read one and only one of his books and avoid his columns in SCI stuff.

Posts: 10273 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although he is not known as a "gun writer", for me the best outdoor writer of all time has to be a man who had a way with words that will probably never again be seen; Michael McIntosh. We lost a true outdoor scholar, writer, poet, and fellow sportsman when he passed much too early last year.

Another excellent writer who falls into the same realm as Ruark regarding his writing style, is Roger Pinckney, who has a regular column in Sporting Classics. I know Roger personally,and although he is an avid hunter / fisherman, he knows how to embellish any story with just the right about of b.s. to make it extremely interesting.

I have read most of Boddington's stuff, and although I like Craig alot personally, I wish he would say what he really thinks, express his true preferences, and opinionate more. He seems to always come back to a statement like, "One could always find this a reasonable caliber for the game at hand", or something like that. I would like Craig to stop being so politically correct when it comes to preferences in calibers, guns, and hunting styles. I want to hear what he really thinks, not what could be reasonable. I hate reasonable.

Ruark has a style and charisma that just makes you want to keep turning the page,and dreaming of being there with him. A great embellisher with style and drama. He was definitely our most entertaining African writer.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
As far as my all time list goes, it would look something like this.

1. G Sitton
2. Finn Aagard
3. Wayne van Zwoll
4. Ruark
5. Elmer Keith

I think of Finn, Elmer and Wayne as true experts on firearms.

Sitton and Ruark were fantastic story tellers.

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Its been over 10 years from the last time I looked at a gun magazine. I read online blogs like this instead now. I liked Elmer Keith, Ross Seyfried, Skeeter and PHC.

Posts: 5709 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Barsness is probably the best current author.
Skeeter, G Sitton, and Ross Seyfried were real good back in the day.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I guess they all are interesting to me. I will have to give Robert Ruark best writer...charismatic, articulate, best to read when wanting to escape the everyday hum drum. Oh course I have been reading his novels, short stories and magazine articles since the 50's when he did a series for Saturday Evening Post (my have times changed!)

Today's technical info...maybe Wayne van Zwoll is my preference. His books and articles don't seem to be quite the advertisement that most of the others are. Jim Carmichael or Bob Hagel maybe for the past technical info.

JMO which is worth mostly nothing...har har!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ross Seyfreid

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
IMO Finn Aagaard was the best gunwriter ever.

I like Boddington's books. I also like Ron Spoomer's hunting articles. I also like Keith McCafferty. David E. Petzal used to be a favorite, but his stuff leaves me cold now.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6836 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
Well, the only fair way to judge this would be to go to the archives and pull each writers version of '30-06 vs .270 : Which Is Best', since they've pretty much all written that article at one time or another.

Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
I tend to think most of the current crop are just pompus with very little to really say. I used to like Wooters and Milek and can still tolerate Ayoob. When I buy today it is magazines that feature lesser known writers like Bob in Texas (PX) or something like that. When they begin to feature the writers mentioned above, I just quit.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of ways to measure the "best"

Best wordsmith
Most prolific
Most knowledgeable of subject
Most experienced
Most honest
Most entertaining

All of have favorites depending on what we are looking for.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
O'Connor probably inspired me to take up hunting, shooting and handloading, catching my imaginationn when I was very young. He was rational and articulate and the kind of wordsmith that could both evoke a sense of place and add just the right amount of humor. I put him at the top of the list.

I read a lot of Elmer Keith, but he never struck me as all that interesting back in the day. Kind of a one-trick pony that seemed to say the same thing in a lot of different ways, and some of the shots he claimed seemed to be a little...imaginitive. The funny thing is, I've been rereading his stuff recently, and see it in a very new light. He was actually very finely adapted to the sort of hunting and shooting that he did, although he seemed to have less varied experience than O'Connor. Much was made of the supposed contrast between Keith and O'Connor back then; there might have been far less of a contrast than we all believed. Turns out that Keith had a lot of good things to say about the .270 and 130 grain bullets (although not for game larger than caribou or sheep), and O'Connor is on record calling the Winchester M71 in .348--a classic Keith-type cartridge with its large, slow 250 grain bullet--one of if not the best woods rifle made. The big difference seemed to be that Keith hunted a lot in timber and shot a lot of game...let's just say, a foot or two behind the ribs, and expected the bullet to either carry through to the vitals or bust the animal up enough to allow fatal, follow-up shots. O'Connor wasn't immune to the charms of the Texas heart shot, but usually hunted in open territory where better shots were usually offered, and deep penetration thus was a less pressing issue. Even so, Keith's somewhat cumberous style made him a much less polished writer; in the book that I'm currently reading, he used the phrase "fat as a seal" far too many times--often too many times in the same chapter. I'd put him among the historically prominent gun writers, but not all that close to the top.

Russell Annabel was more of a short story writer than a recounter of fact; I've collected a lot of the guy's stuff, but you can't take much of it seriously.

On the other hand, someone who is often missed--although a "hunting" rather than a "gun" writer, is Archibald Rutledge. I love his tales of the old South, and a lost approach to life that, I'll freely admit, we'd be better off if we retained. There are too few gentlemen--and I use that word intentionally--such as Rutledge in our sport or in our world today.

I generally agree on Ruark and Hemingway not really being "gun' or even "hunting" writers, but I'll make one big exception--Ruark's The Old Man and the Boy. Anybody who grew up outdoors can appreciate the innate wisdom inherent in that collection of stories.

As to more modern writers?

I'm not sure how I missed Agaard; I'll have to correct that mistake.

I was also very fond of Gene Hill's work, again as a "hunting" rather than "gun" writer.

Van Zwoll is a good practical, technical writer, and I've found myself growing fond of John Barsness. Boddington is OK. Outside of them, I don't really have much good--and generally not much bad--to say about today's crop. But one thing is lost today. Today's writers tend to get wrapped up in technical information, and have seemed to have lost the skill that I think O'Connor had, to convey the technical stuff in a story that emphasized the challenge, beauty, absurdity, cameraderie and just plain wonder that is inherent in this sport that we love. As mentioned earlier, he took a 9-year-old kid from a non-hunting family, who read Outdoor Life initially for the fishing stuff, and turned him into someone who enjoyed nothing more than reading ballistics tables in junior high, headed his school's rifle team in high school, got the first-ever hunting license in the family the first year that he was old enough to do so and just came back from Namibia last month. I think that O'Connor's ghost could find some pleasure in that. And I don't think that anyone writing today has a style that could inspire the same sort of excitement.

These days, there's too much "use an "X" rifle and a "Y" scope, and the new "Z" ammunition. Put on your carbon-layered camo, spray yourself with scent-killer, and get up in the tree to wait for a deer to come into your food plot... If I was a 9-year-old today, reading that sort of thing, I'd probably just stick with my video game, and miss all of the real fun.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
The capture below is the top of page 1 in my Coues deer book.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Irwin S. Cobb
Bob Milek
Kevin Robertson
Phil Shoemaker
Gunyana
Bob Boatman
Terry Weiland
John Barsness
Ron Spomer
Dick Metcalf
Brian Pierce

Posts: 1018 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
There are a lot of ways to measure the "best"

All of have favorites depending on what we are looking for.

I agree

Best wordsmith today Wayne van Zwoll, though Aagard and Sitton were probably some of the best ever.

Most prolific today Boddington, Barness also writes a lot of articles

Most knowledgeable of subject today van Zwoll, Barness, Carmichel, Metcalf for today but, Keith, Aagard and Milek were tops in their day

Most experienced at what? Boddington has hunted all over the world, only Dorsey and Wieland are his hunting peers. But guys that shoot 10 hogs a week in the South have more experience. Heck Phil, you probably have as much experience in pulling the trigger or being right there while the trigger was pulled as an Alaskan hunting guide as Boddington does if not more.

Most honest, van Zwoll BUT! I feel that Rifle and Handloader are more honest magazines than the Peterson's lot. Maybe I am wrong.

Most entertaining. That's a hard one. Barness is kind of a funny rascal, Boddington has said some pretty entertaining things but he can be pretty droll as well and diplomatic is not entertaining. Of the ones past; Elmer Keith was the most entertaining to me of all time. Ruark was entertaining and so was Capstick, though neither one of them knew their ass from a hole in the ground with firearms.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread. I enjoy many of those listed. I think it's very difficult to write something that feels fresh and conversational, that is well written and interesting on things that have been rehashed a thousand times and do it on a regular basis, even if it's about something that you love.
Craig Boddington and Terry Weiland are two that I enjoy their writing style. Although not currently writing for magazines I read, I appreciated John Wooters writng as well. Gary Sitton, Michael McIntosh and Finn Aagard were three who I miss. I noted that John Wooters was included on the recently gone list. I believe I read somewhere that he is still writing for a local paper in Texas.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How about Bob Hagel?

Posts: 662 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I'll have to dig through my books, I think I have a Hagel book or two around from the 1960s.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MDA, you put John Wootters on the deceased list. He is still alive and living in the Texas Hill Country. Still doing a little writing too.....

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. G.B. Shaw

One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I grew up with Gun mags. I did not like reading "school books" but loved Guns and ammo, Outdoor life ect. my parents got me a sub to any that I would read--and funny enough most were written at a higher level than. the 7-8 grade material the school wanted me to read

1. Ross Seyfreid-- got me intrested in big bores and fine rifles--still to this day I love the look of a fine hammergun and unique firearms.

2.Bob Milek-- loved his candor, Good solid writer that did alot of hunting and gave sound advice. The reason I bought a 25-06 as my first deer rifle--and still love it to this day.

3. Col Craig. He offered sound advice. Loved double rifles, talked about Africa and african rifles-- as a 10-12 year old I ate it up. I hunted alot of plains game and buffalo with my 22lr on our west texas ranch.
4 John Wootters
5.Bob Hagel
6. Ken Waters
7. Elmer Keith

I also enjoyed the add ins from guys like Finn Aagaard, and George Hoffman. Some good writers out there that shaped my taste in rifles and shotguns.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russell Annabel was more of a short story writer than a recounter of fact; I've collected a lot of the guy's stuff, but you can't take much of it seriously.

I hear you. I remember many years ago where Annabel wrote about a killer whale coming up on land to "get him" and dhe had to kill it with a .375 H&H. shocker Wow! What BS I thought. many years later I saw on one of those channels like the Dicovery Channel that killer whales did come up on land to grab seals and such. Guess I was the one that was wrong. I like most of the writes mention even one that called me a liar in print. I'd written about something that he was wrong on and not only sent proof of the error but quoted several long gone gun writers about that very same subject. I got a nice letter back saying he stood corrected and 6 months later in an article he expesses his doubts on what I'd said. What pises me really off about the whole deal is when he replied, he said he'd be in own but too busy to hook up for an up and personal experience with the problem.
it sure would have opened up his eyes. Oh well. Now while I still read his stuff, I do take it with a grain of salt.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I have noticed about gun/hunting/outdoor writers, is that all too often the Public believes that just because THEY have not experienced something, No One has.

Yes, all of us embellish our stories and the part we played in them, but, all of us that have spent any REAL time in the outdoors have experienced situation that the more casual visitors may not have experienced.

Just because someone has not experienced something another claims to have experienced, does not mean it did not happen.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dawaba:
MDA, you put John Wootters on the deceased list. He is still alive and living in the Texas Hill Country. Still doing a little writing too.....

Thanks I thought he was in the arms of the Lord a long time ago.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Not a gun writer but I followed him for most of my young life...

Chuck Adams

Boddington tells a very good story

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
Chuck Adams is NOT an a Gun Writer!

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
Alive and well? Rodd Seyfried, hands-down as far as I am concerned.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the past my favorite was Elmer Keith, not the most accomplished "writer" but he was the prophet in the early days. Others were Bob Hagel, Skeeter Skelton, Bob Milek, & of course Ken Waters.
These guys were doing experiments with guns, bullets, powders, etc. that had never been done, the later writers were/are very good but most of the bases had already been covered.
Of todays writers the best, & my all time favorite is Ross Seyfried, smart, experienced, out spoken & savvy in all things gun related. John Barsness is technical, honest, funny & a real gun man.
I also like Brian Pearce & John Taffin very much, lots of good handgun info!
Russ Annabell was probably the most gifted writer. He could make a mud puddle sound like the Hawaiian islands!

Dick

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe nobody included Col. Jeff Cooper, I miss his columns in Guns and Ammo. In fact i stopped buying it after he was gone. Carmichel was pretty interesting also.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MOA TACTICAL:
Chuck Adams is NOT an a Gun Writer!

I said he was not

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bbruce:
I can't believe nobody included Col. Jeff Cooper, I miss his columns in Guns and Ammo. In fact i stopped buying it after he was gone. Carmichel was pretty interesting also.

I was actually the other way, I thought his angery old man rant was a bit much. One of his classic points was his hatred of the boonie cap. There is a reason we don't wear combination caps, pisscutters and dixie cups into battle, they provide zero protection from the sun and are difficult to keep on whilst moving around.

I have nothing against him as a person, but I rarely ever read his rants. I am sure the person he was 30 or 40 years before wouldn't have been so nuts.

Reminded me of everyone that served in WW2. My wife's grandfather just passed away recently, he was a Navy Master Chief and did 40 years. Fought small boat warfare during WW2 in the Pacific then went on to be a coxwain on river boats in Vietnam.

Not denying that he wasn't a fountain of firearms and life knowledge. The then magazine editor once defended him as being a national treasure, I don't doubt that in fact most of his generation was.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't think he was as angry as you think. but he sure was opiniated. I had the pleasure to spend so time with him just before he died. He was the keynote speaker at the NYS rifle and pistol annual meeting and over the couple of days I got to have a few conversations with him and his wife and family they were very nice people. He really knew pistol shooting. He was also very much a American!!!! He told me he wrote about his opinions and knew they would cause disagreements but that it was good because it would stimulate thought. Each to his own he's my favorite.

When there's lead in the air, there's hope!!!!

Posts: 424 | Location: Ticonderoga NY | Registered: 19 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing I have noticed in our PC oriented society. People seem to be easily offended by those with strong opinions, especially those that are not one bit hesitant about stating those opinions.

As a kid growing up, people that were able to form an opinion, state their opinion and stand up for their opinion, were respected.

That isn't the case anymore. People are uncomfortable when someone speaks their mind, especially if their opinions vary from what has came to be considered "Gospel".

One of Us
Picture of MOA TACTICAL
posted Hide Post
I wasn't offended, I just didn't care for his writing.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
One thing I have noticed in our PC oriented society. People seem to be easily offended by those with strong opinions, especially those that are not one bit hesitant about stating those opinions.

As a kid growing up, people that were able to form an opinion, state their opinion and stand up for their opinion, were respected.

That isn't the case anymore. People are uncomfortable when someone speaks their mind, especially if their opinions vary from what has came to be considered "Gospel".

I don't nor have I ever respected anyone for mearly speaking their mind.

Now if whay they said had content....that's a horse of a differant color

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Different time, different location Ted. I grew up understanding that when someone stated an opinion it was based on experience and knowledge.

No one might agree with their opinion, which is not the point I was trying to make.

It was the fact that people respected other individuals that were able to think for themselves, be willing to form and state an opinion, and unless or until proven wrong, stand by that opinion.

I still operate and believe in that way of doing things. Others can do as they wish, my way has served me quite well for most of my almost 62 years on this planet.