New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sight in setup?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey captdavid, I've used good old Leather Sand Bags for as long as I can remember. I carry them in a relatively small tool box with tape, ear plugs, muffs, pens, pencils, allen wrenches, screw drivers, measuring tape, etc.

When I get to the Range, I take the stuff out of the tool box and lay it on it's side. Then I place the Front(Flat) Sand Bag on top of it. And I use a Bunny Bag (shorter ears than a Rabbit Bag) at the rear.

I see no one above has in their's what I have inside mine. When I got this set of Bags, I figured I needed just a bit of sand to fill them about 96%-98%. (You do not want them too loose or too tight.) And I got to thinking about where I could get some "clean" sand. Many of the South Carolina fields I hunt have a lot of sand in them and I knew just the place to go. Once I got there, I looked down and what should I spot in the sand but Deer Tracks. So, I carefully scooped up the Deer Tracks and filled the Sand Bags with them. Everytime I pull the bags out, I think of those Deer.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I got an inexpensive gun rest from Cabellas, I use it to get a good boresight then use bags to shoot from. Ill then go back to the gun rest to make the adjustments. It isnt unusual to get very close to the mark with only one shot this way. You just mount the rifle and adjust the rest so the crosshairs are on the bullseye and then adjust the scope to where the bullet hit. Piece o cake. Its also very usefull for cleaning etc.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote