Find
Notify
Tools

Best Hot Dog?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted
I'm sure there must be some connoisseurs on this forum.

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
boerwors from South Africa with plenty of chips

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Top Dog in Berkley!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boar's Head.

Tom

Posts: 14596 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lafleurs in quebec, along with the worlds best french fries ( real ones made from fresh potatoes instead of the reprocessed frozen crap We get most places in the United States)

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 03-13-2002).]

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to my mother and her group of globe-trotting-widows, it's in the Atlanta Airport.

She tries to schedule all her flights with a slight layover in Atlanta.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
rockhead,
[B]Lafleurs in quebec, along with the worlds best french fries ( real ones made from fresh potatoes instead of the reprocessed frozen crap We get most places in the United States)

Just to tell you the truth regarding french fries. In France, the frensh fries is called "belgian fries". I don't want to tell you all the story but the best "frensh fries" are made with belgian potatoes. You can ask to all french people they'll tell you that the best french fries are made in Belgium with a potato called "Bintje".

There is some Belgian fries restaurants in NY, run by belgian guys. Test it and you"ll love to come in Belgium to eat real fries.IMHO

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Vienna Inn, Vienna, Virginia

Pig Pickens, Winston-Salem, North Carolina

The Varsity, Atlanta and Athens, Georgia

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rick3foxes:
According to my mother and her group of globe-trotting-widows, it's in the Atlanta Airport.

She tries to schedule all her flights with a slight layover in Atlanta.

I like your mother. Cool woman.

Russ

------------------
"Out here, 'due process' is a bullet!" -- John Wayne, "The Green Berets"

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
not really a hot dog, but the "stadium sausage" at Anaheim stadium is hard to beat

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Powderman>
posted
Sinai 48 Kosher dog, purchased at Costco.

Cook slowly, preferably by steaming.

Serve piping hot, with finely diced onions, a bit of sweet relish, a thin line of ketchup and Heinz mustard, and one small hot pepper.

Result? The original--and still the best--authentic Chicago Dog.

There are some who prefer hot dogs made by the Vienna company, out of Chicago; but, to me the Sinai 48 dog has more flavor, and has just the right amount of crispness.

Best served on a very lightly toasted bun.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ok BER007

The best "POMMES FRITES" are in quebec.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
rockhead,

I agree with you, in Quebec area you can find the best cooking in North America.

"Pommes frites" is the french translation of "french fries". I'm glad that you like to eat this product. Quebec folks are our cousins (Belgium and france).

If you return in Quebec during hunting season you can find very great wild chase meat.

------------------
BER007
Keep the faith in any circumstances
------------------------
BBER007@HOTMAIL.COM

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Lots of good Hotdog places in Chicago, but hard to find a Chicago dog with catsup on it.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Do it yourself brand - Kunzler.

Already made - Coney Island, Johnstown, PA. Best in the world, no comparison. Just had three today, in fact.

R-WEST

PS - How in the world do we get on these topics?

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<Powderman>
posted
BigB:

You're right. The ketchup is just personal preference, but I also like just a smidgen of good old Heinz Mustard--the stuff from the glass jar.

Where in Chicago are you?

<chris_m>
posted
Nathans

<ovis>
posted
Bullseye Bar in Mont Tremblanc, Quebec. With the Pomme Frites and a cast iron bowl of their Potato/Garlic Soup a dog or anything else they serve is good.

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Powderman

From Addison and Pulaski area, called Old Irving Park now. Now located in North Suburbs.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ovis

have you had any poutine at the bulls eye?

<Powderman>
posted
BigB,

I grew up all over the South Side.

Last address was 5951 S. Aberdeen, 1200 block west, 5900 block south. Area is still known as Englewood.

Not even a nice place to visit now.

<Greg Y>
posted
CORV from Bjarnum, SWEDEN!!!!!

<ovis>
posted
Rockhead,

YES!!!!!! I don't think they could louse any meal up. What a great place. That was the first poutine I'd ever had and still the best. Soon after, one of the fast food joints in Winnipeg had something they called poutine BUT................!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ovis

yes it just isn't the same anywhere else but Quebec, I think it is the hot chicken sauce.

A former supervisor visited me once on a job in Lynne Lake manitoba some time ago, they had great French Fries in the little chinese restaurant we always ate at so he (a french canadian) tried to get a poutine. The little chinese lady did not quite understand what he wanted, he would up with a plate of fries with a kraft single on top all doused in gravy...... he was a little disapointed.

the poutines are great but straight to the arteries....

see you
rockhead

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 03-15-2002).]

<DavidP>
posted
#1: Sabretts (NY)
#2: Hirams in Cliffside Park NJ.(ask for well done)
#3: Callahans, right next door to Hirams. (the original, not the franchise fast food places)

Two of them and an ice cold beer! Now that's a meal!

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

one of us
posted Hide Post
Describe the hot chicken sauce.

quote:
Originally posted by rockhead:
Ovis

yes it just isn't the same anywhere else but Quebec, I think it is the hot chicken sauce.

A former supervisor visited me once on a job in Lynne Lake manitoba some time ago, they had great French Fries in the little chinese restaurant we always ate at so he (a french canadian) tried to get a poutine. The little chinese lady did not quite understand what he wanted, he would up with a plate of fries with a kraft single on top all doused in gravy...... he was a little disapointed.

the poutines are great but straight to the arteries....

see you
rockhead

[This message has been edited by rockhead (edited 03-15-2002).]

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fred Bouwman:
[B]Describe the hot chicken sauce.

different flavor from the hot chicken gravy that we get in the US,hard to describe, a bit spicier.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordon's Red Hotdog cooked over an open wood fire with a toasted bun and your choice of mustard.

Posts: 72 | Location: Denmark, Maine, USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wasn't there, some years back, a campaign by the government in Belgium or France to improve the quality of Pommes Frites? I believe they had a cartoon image named "Fred Fritte" to promote it.

quote:
Originally posted by BER007:
rockhead,

I agree with you, in Quebec area you can find the best cooking in North America.

"Pommes frites" is the french translation of "french fries". I'm glad that you like to eat this product. Quebec folks are our cousins (Belgium and france).

If you return in Quebec during hunting season you can find very great wild chase meat.

Posts: 207 | Location: Nicolet National Forest, WI, USA | Registered: 21 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember a TV show some time ago -- possibly several years -- about hot dogs in America. I think the show may have been on PBS. It showed many different "best" hot dogs from many places in America, including Alaska at the beginning of the Iditarod doglsed race.

When I lived in New York City, I used to get hot dogs from Nathans. Now my kids think that the ones in the Nathans packaging that we get from the supermarket here in Maryland are the best, although I'm not convinced they are any better than others; they are considerably more expensive than most.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
A German dachshound chasing the tracks of roe deer a clear day in fall. That�s a really "hot dog"!

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote