SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many times with a bow, and only successful once. Mine was life size. And I had cut a door to shoot through from behind, I just couldn't get close enough. I even tried an antelope hide and cape, with a bucks skull and horns. Only during bow season,(suicide during rifle) and in deep grass I could get 60 tp 70 yards. Not within recurve range. I am confident it would work with some practice.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
Not that, But I have given very serious consideration to making a cardboard cutout of an ATV and tape recording the engine noise. I am dead certain I could walk that cutout right up to a lot of deer where I hunt and stick a rifle barrel in their ear.

Posts: 964 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anybody else try this on antelope?

No, but it would have been perfect for our Nebraska archery antelope hunt.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
quote:
Anybody else try this on antelope?

No, but it would have been perfect for our Nebraska archery antelope hunt.

I know of at least one Nebraska ranch hand that does this every year. And it works.

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have done "the four legged whatever" a couple of times and it worked getting us with in 250 yds. in otherwise coverless country. All you need is a poncho covering both of you, bend over and make like a cow. The trick seems to be not walking directly at the antelope but rather angling off so that you present a four legged silhouette to the antelope.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I have while bow hunting and it was fun. Had several bucks circle us trying to see what was behind the decoy. I would not consider doing it during rifle season as I consider it far too dangerous and in my experience uncesessary.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2945 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Yeah, we've had them come up behind us to see what we were too.

Cow decoys would seem to be inherently safer during rifle season than antelope decoys.....

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote