THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Surefire Flashlights and blood trails

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surefire Flashlights and blood trails
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody had any experience with Surefire's flashlight with the blue light filter. They claim that it can pick up blood trails. If so does it work? I think it would be handy tool.

I hunt in the thick, wet, brush of the Northwest and finding fataly shoot game animals can be difficult sometimes, even if they only run fifty yards or so. It is not often this happens, but in the realworld not all animals fall where they are shot, especially elk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do a search for blood trails and light on here somewhere. Seems like it was just a month or two ago.

The general consensus was that the blue light "trick" is pretty much useless (or worse). For me the blue filters made blood even HARDER to see.

one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore,

Thanks for the reply. I am curious if the blue light needs to used in conjunction with orange glasses, much like they use on the TV show CSI.

Thanks,

James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Surefire worked great for spotting blood, until about an hour into the tracking when the spendy little batteries gave up the ghost. Then it started to snow. I never saw that brisket shot doe again. After taking a year off the Tulle will wear a rear sight this December.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not the orange goggles. Those are just plain goggles to protect their eyes from blood splatter. What makes blood glow is a chemical called luminol and an ultraviolet light. You really can't see uv light so on tv they use a blue light for dramatic effect.

Posts: 322 | Location: Three Forks, Montana | Registered: 02 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MontMike, thanks for the info on luminol. It is available on-line, so I may purchase some and see if it is actually worth using.

Thanks, James

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My surefire works great without a filter on blood trailing...I have the digital bulb L4 model...all the difference in the world from the older models! great product!

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Gerber knives has a new led light they are calling the carnvore. It has a light that is supposed to make a blood trail jump out at you. I will be selling these this fall, but they can be found on ebay for about $40.00. It might be something to think about. The surefire light trick may work on alien blood, but it takes a UV light to make blood glow in the dark.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1258 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote