New
Find
Notify
Tools

More binocular comparisons..........
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
A couple of days ago, late in the afternoon, I took several sets of my own binoculars out on the front porch and ran some tests. We've had a lot of cloudy, rainy weather and less-than-optimum light conditions -- perfect for where-the-rubber-meets-the-road binocular testing -- and the results were revealing.

I tested my old (1984) set of Leitz Trinovid 7X35s, an old set of Zeiss 8X30s (green rubber armor, individual eye-focus), a set of first-generation Bausch & Lomb Elite 8X42s, a set of brand-new Leica Ultravid 8X32s, and a set of newish Leica Ultravid 8X42s.

The worst-performing binocular of the whole lot was the Leitz Trinovid 7X35, no doubt about it. These weren't nearly as bright as the others, didn't focus as well, and didn't perform as well from any standpoint of consideration. They're light and handy though, feel good in the hand, and in years past I've used them on many, many hunts, so they are rather beaten around the edges. But the lenses have been well cared for, and they are still as good as new. What was apparent is that technology marches on, and these old Leitz 7X35s demonstrated that in spades.

Of my older binos, the Zeiss 8X30 'Dialyt' 8X30B IFs are still incredible performers. I have these set up exclusively for African hunts that include dangerous game, and I used them this season in Tanzania. I love them because they are really and truly ergonomic and "grippy", totally rubberized, super-quiet and super-rugged, plus they have a tough, practical, simple, useful, non-problematic occular rain (in Africa, DUST) cover than is not only highly protective, but easy to slide out of the way. I built my own special non-adjustable, non-detachable strap for these 8X30s that allow them to be carried horizontally, under my left arm and above the waist, where they won't rattle, bang against the rifle, or otherwise get in the way, yet they're instantaneously ready to get into use.

[As a sidenote, those "wunder bra"-type binocular chest harness contraptions are a pathetic joke designed with the pigrim in mind]

Optically, they are marvelous, and if you can find a set of these Zeiss 8X30 IFs someplace for a fair price, absolutely buy them. They're one of the greatest hunting binoculars of all time.

As good as those old Zeiss are, the new Leica Ultravid 8X32s are significantly brighter and sharper edge-to-edge, with a significantly wider field of view, plus they're lighter, shorter, have a much better central focusing system, and they're at least as ruggedly built. I dislike the rainguard these carry (inferior to the old Zeiss), and I'll replace the supplied carry-strap with exactly the same unit I have on the Zeiss, but performance-wise, the Leica's are indeed significantly better, which in comparison to those fine old Zeiss, is really saying something.

The real sleeper of the lot is my old set of B&L Elite 8X42s, which I keep in the hall closet for at-home use. These have an incredibly-wide field-of-view, plus they're BRIGHT, sharp the very edge, easy to focus, a pleasure to handle, and they came with a high-quality case and rainguard. Of the Japanese-built binoculars I've used, these are the best by far. I see that Bushnell now offers a new generation of Elite binoculars. All I can say is, if the new ones are indeed better than these old ones, Bushnell will have created a milestone product that deserves your attention.......

But as good as those B&Ls are, the performance champ of my binoculars remains my 8X42 Leica Ultravid, which I use for most of my hunting anymore. They have an even wider field-of-view, they're even brighter and sharper, and yes, they also outperform the 8X32 Leica Ultravids significantly. It's been said that once you reach a certain age you can't take as much advantage of more light as when you're younger, which is, I'm sure, quite true. But I am now 48 years old, and even though I'm pushing 50, it's still plain to my eyes that I can still take advantage of the light advantage provided by 42mm objective lenses, versus 32mm objective lenses.

In a nutshell, the Leica Ultravid 8X42s outperform every other set of binoculars I own, although the B&Ls come close. They also significantly out-perform the Swarovski ELs I've tested..........

AD

one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of B&L legacy 8x25's that I really like. Very bright and clear with a good field of view (390' at 1000yds). They are china made but have performed well in the field so far. I never thought I would like a compact bino until I tried these.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2094 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Allen, Leica just re-designed the ocular covers for the entire Ultravid line and have made them like the Swaro's... good move. The current ones are an awkward design.

The one bino giving the Ultravid a run for the money is the just released Ziess FL... it's defintely a bit bigger, but it's at the center of the current raging debate among birders with more agreeing it's a slightly better image than the Ultravid. They also are making an 8x32 FL and have a 7x32 prototype out. I haven't had a look at them yet so will reserve judgement but am eager to see them. Zeiss has sadly fallen behind Leica and Swarovski and the FL's may put them back at the top.

Gotta agree, to my eyes, the Ultravid is slightly better than the EL and the 8x32 Ultravid is noticeably better than the 8x32 EL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a pair of Leica Geovid 10x42 BRF-Y bino/range finders for a recent sheep hunt. They are simply fantastic. At base camp, we compared them against the Zeiss and Swarovski binoculars that the guides and other clients had with them. The clear concensus winner was the Geovids.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AD-at some point in time find a way to give a look at the new Nikon 8x42's. If I remember right they are called the Deluxe series or something of that nature. For the bones (about 9 bills), no doubt a heck of a lot of glass.

About the Zeiss brand, IME their time has come and gone, they could get back into the game but gotta work at it harder IMO. IMO the high end Nikon is a better glass. The only Zeiss that has ever come close to impressing me is the 20x80 IS and the old style of Night Owls. A fella that I guided with in Wyo a couple of years back had a pair of them (I believe they were 10x56's) and they were pretty darn impressive. They were big, about like having a 10 week old lab around your neck but they were good!

About your testing with the Ultravids vs the EL. You used 8x42's in the Ultra's (which Brad and I have said for a long time are the best glass hands down, slam dunk no contest glass in the world!!), I would assume that you compared the 8 Leica's to the 8.5 EL's right?

Foggy, snowy, wet day here, good that will put a few more feet of snow on the turf for my goat hunt next week....grins

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Mark, the new Zeiss FL's have only been out a couple of months... they are definately giving Leica and Swaro a run for top dog!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad, I had a chance to look through those Zeiss FL's a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately the only 8X42s in the store would not focus both sides. Anobvious defect, but prevented any kind of an honest look thats for sure.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Good grief Chuck, something like that slipping out the factroy door would give me pause!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad- I ran into the Zeiss rep a while back and he trolled some by me, I thought they were good but still not in the league of the Swaro and the L brand.

But that is just my eyes.

Mark D

(on a side note who in town has them, I'll go look at them again)

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend and myself recently had the opportunity to test the Ultravids, the EL's, and the new Zeiss FL's side by side. All were the 10x variants and we were blessed that it was near dusk. To my eye's (my buddy's as well) the Ultravid and EL were a definite step above the FL's. With the Ultra's edging out the EL's out my a noticable margin. Personally I don't care for the construction of the EL's. The Ultravids seem to be built tank tough as well. Like my Trinovid BN's but weighing much less. I could do without the thumb scallops on the underside though.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, I just got back from chasing Roosevelt's elk in western Washington and I hunted blacktails here a couple of weeks ago. I used a Leica 7x42 BA in one of the wonder-bra (Crooked Horn Outfitters) arrangements you mentioned. I used the issue Leica strap on those glasses for the same two hunts last year and felt that the CHO unit beat it handily.

Can you describe your preferred strap, or post images of it?

thanks,

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

<allen day>
posted
David, those are pretty-much the conclusions I've arrived at myself.

Zeiss has downgraded over-all quality from the fine old 'Classic' series, and their current product comes in third, optically, to Swarovski and Leica. Lots of plastic in the new Zeiss stuff.

AD

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I had a new set of 8x32 Zeiss FL bino that I used during my hunting season. they were exceptionally bright and sharp in teh center but pretty mundane around the edges plus they were out of collimation by the end of the hunt. So I decided to test a set at our Sportsman warehouse store. they have an optical chart set up in a dark corner of the warehouse. I chose 8x42 Leica Ultravids, 8x43 Swaro EL's and the 8x42 Zeiss FL Victory. The difference in both brightness and sharpness was very distinctive between all three with the Zeiss at the top in both catagories and the Leica #2. From my test of only two sets I am guessing Zeiss has some problems with quality control but if they whip that they will again be the binos to beat.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Phil, if Zeiss would only build a new series of binoculars with the optical quality of their current product with the structural integrity of their old 'Classic' series (with 100% internal focusing across the board), they'd have a formidable product........

AD

One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Over at birdforum.com, after some searching, it seems that Zeiss is indeed having QC issues though its image is considered "best" (that's subjective).

However, a truly great binocular is more than just an exceptional image. The ergonomic's must be "right" (weight and size are part of that), they must function in extremes and be rugged while having a good warranty and customer service backing them up.

For me, the 7x42 or 8x42 Ultravid is top dog in all categories.

<allen day>
posted
Okie John, I carry my binoculars in one of two ways: One is Jack O'Connor's method, where the strap is shortened so that it's just long enough to get the binocular over your head, and it's worn in front. This way, it doesn't go swinging around, and you can tuck the binocular inside you jacket or shirt if necessary for protection, and to get it out of the way. This method works best if you're hunting with a pack, and/or wearing a jacket.

The other method is to have the binocular suspended by a simple, unpadded, straight cordura camera strap that goes across your body horizontally, and the binocular rides under your arm, just above the waist. The glass is then swung up and over your arm to use. This method is fast, unobtrusive, protects the binocular, and it doesn't go swinging around, banging into stuff.

For my old Zeiss 8X30s, I cut a simple camera strap to length, sealed the ends, cut and sealed holes on each side and the ends of the strap, and pop-rivted the strap in place on each side. This results in super-strong attachment, no buckles to get in the way or come undone, and nothing to get in the way of the binocular sliding up into position when you want it to.

For my purposes, the various binocular harnesses are too complicated (straps, straps, and more straps), too constrictive, a bugger to get into, and they have the propensity to get hooked and hung up on stuff.

My PH in Tanzania this year was so sour on binocular harnesses, based on problems he'd previously had with them getting clients hung-up in brushy glades while hunting "dugga-boy" buffalo and old bull hippo, that he could barely speak in normal tones about them. When he saw my simple binocular strap the first day of the safari he said, "When I see a client show up with a binocular set up that way, I know he came to play the game".........

AD

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I've been wear binoculars daily for going on thirty years now and have come to the same conclusions as Allen. I tried the bino bras this year on my heavy Leica Duovids and have gone back to just a simple, thin and short strap with them stuck into my shirt or jacket to keep them from bouncng. I still otice the larger and heavier binocs carried that way after a full day but you get used to them. With little 8x30's and 32's you soon forget you even have them.
The shape of the bino and the way their straps fit are also important. The Nikon LX series are fantastic far lookers but hang away from your body. they are not bad underarm but terrible around the neck. For all around wearing comfort the old Zeiss and all the Leicas are great.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
In the picture below, you can see my binocular strap. I put it togethor myself and it functions as Allen has described, being carried under the arm. A couple of months ago I scavenged the sticky/grippy stuff off of a defective Uncle Mikes Mountain sling and have had it sewn to the existing strap (you can see where it has been sewn on if you look close to the stitching). Now the binocs can be set on the chest, under the arm, and behind the back and it "sticks" in place.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've owned all three (Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss), and prefer the Zeiss by a tiny margin. I currently use the 8x32 FL, and have been quite happy. However, I don't think there is any meaningful difference between them, and I have have been a bit foolish playing and buy it, try it, and sell it on ebay game. My cuurent set up is my favorite in terms of optical quality versus "carryability", but the Leica or Swaro would work just as well. The only dog I've tried or owned is the Swaro 8x32-definitely not in the same league. I too have given up on bino bras; J O'C had it right for cold weather situations, and the over the shoulder African technique works great when you're not having to constantly take your jacket or pack off and on.

One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
How do the Geovids compare to the Ultravids? The advantage of a built-in rangefinder is compelling for a few ounces and a few hundred $ more. Are they as rugged as the Ultravids? What am I giving up?

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I closely inspected both Geovids and ultravids at the last SHOT show. To me it looked like the Ultravids were a bit brighter and maybe sharper. When I asked their PR man he said yes the Ultravids were a bit better as the lazer rangefinder was incompatible with their newest optics. Still, the Geovids are super and I have a set on order.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck Nelson, that's a great picture in many aspects!

Posts: 1927 | Location: Oregon Coast | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Rdelius, I'm curious to see the 8x32 FL... I use an 8x32 BN and like them a lot. My only complaint is they're not 7x32! Zeiss is rumored to be bringing out a 7x32 FL...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen brought up something that got my curiosity up. Has anyone checked the new Elites against the big 3? For the money they surely must not be in that class.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I'll be 48 in a couple months and if you want to call me a "Pilgrim" go ahead. I carried my Leica Duovids for many years using a Butler Creek neoprene strap which greatly reduced the felt weight, but when I finally tried the harness I won't use anything else for NA hunting. Other than Alaskan bears I haven't hunted DG so I won't comment on what works for Africa.

They're not all that hard to put on if you're just slightly coordinated like me and they work great with my backpacks. When I upgraded to the 10x42 Geovid this year I bought a new harness for those as well.

Pilgims? Weren't they our forefathers? I'm good with that.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
The new Elites that I tested were top quality glass. the only serious drawback I saw - and one that is appropriate here - was that the strap attachment was a plastic snap on POS that broke the first time I tried to put a strap on it. Bushnell is well aware of the problem and hopefully will fix it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

<allen day>
posted
TooMany, Butler Creek, et al sells a lot of those harnesses, so I guess there are many who like them. Browning sells a lot of A-Bolts as well. I have never been able to figure that one out, either! Wink

I guess I'm a chronic rescidivist, but more to the point, I don't like to feel "strapped-in". Let's see, we have a backpack with shoulder straps, as well as a strap across the chest......this goes over the binocular harness strap setup......then we have the rifle carrying strap that goes over the shoulder, and whew (!) before you know it, you're trussed up like a holiday turkey!

Phil, that snap arrangement is exactly the reason those B&L Elites on mine stay on the shelf in the hall closet for home use.

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
AD-what the H... is a rescidivist....I was getting kind of lost with all the bino talk but this one about puts me over the edge. Guess I'll have to put a dictionary by my puter...LOL

On a serious note, the system you're talking about carrying your bino's with sounds sort of like the system that Sullivan uses. Correct or no?

Lastly Phil and others one thing I've found that helps a bit for the portly bino's (I use 7x42 SLC's) is this. I always carry a pack frame with me and my strap is long enough to loop the strap up over one of the frame posts. This helps to keep the weight off my neck and yets keeps them right here and handy.

Just a thought.

Mark D

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
allen,

You're absolutely right about the "strapped in" feeling--it is definately not as comfortable. I guess I was conditioned to that feeling in my 20 years in the AF, being strapped in to all kinds of gear and equipment. I tolerate it, but do enjoy taking it off at the end of the day.

Cheers

BTW, I don't care for A-bolts either.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Crooked Horn harness thing and don't really mind it, but its neither here nor there. I'll have to give the system that Allen and Chuck describe a try. Come to think of it, while out hunting two weeks ago it did begin to piss me off as it kept riding up in the back which caused my binos to drop in the front.

Posts: 1240 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brad, a 7x32 Zeiss FL may cause me to do the buy it, try it, sell it cycle one more time! In my opinion (which is worth what it costs, ie nothing), a 7 x32 would eliminate the only significant disadvatage of the 32 mm objective, which is the ability to gather light in the first and last 15 minutes of the day.

<allen day>
posted
Mark, the first time I tried that diagonal-carry method was after buying Kirt Darner's mule deer book some twenty years ago, and in it notice him carrying his binos that way.

Sullivan also carries his binoculars diagonally (he won't use any other method, no matter what!), and he has for his entire hunting career. He goes about it a bit differently than I do in that he uses the factory-supplied strap. In my opinion, the factory strap lacks in to areas: For one thing, it isn't long enough for me, and secondly, it features a grippy or padded section in the center that tends to hinder movement. The older Zeiss 'Classics' (center-focus) had perfect factory-supplied straps for diagonal carry, but those have been done away with for several years.

Actually, quite a few veteran African PHs carry their binoculars diagonally. I had a very sharp and capable young PH in RSA last season who carried his binos via the harness system, and when we tracked eland in hot, thick, thornbrush areas, I noticed that he was always having to extract himself from some hellish thorny plant that dug itself into his bino strap. This happened time and again.........

AD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
THX- AD- perhaps some time you could post the strap dimensions and material. How do you think that Latigo would work for this?

Gracais

Mark D

one of us
posted Hide Post
Allen, thanks for the reply. My father taught me O'Connor's method and I used it in the military, but my breath always ends up fogging the lenses. I use the rain caps that came with the Leicas, but let them slip off for a moment and I'm back to fogged lenses.

I'll try the African method during post-season scouting.

Thanks again,

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
posted Hide Post
LaRita and I went to the big city this afternoon and while there we went to a sporting goods shop where we looked at binos. They had the following in stock some zeiss 8x40? BNs?, zeiss victory fl 8x42s and leica ultravid 8x42s. I talked the guy into taking all three outside and let us look through them. The 8x40 BNs where the cheapest and pretty nice for the price. The victory fls where good but felt a little bulkie. The leica ultravids, DAMN they where nice!! They aint cheap but they sure are nice!

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Swaros, Leicas, Burris, Nikons, Steiners and Bushnels. For the money, as an all around hunting bino, I will take my current Nikon 8x32 LX. Have looked at the Euro glass and don't believe the cost difference is matched by the quality difference... if there IS a quality difference.
And I really like the "wonder-bra" bino straps. I generally wear them inside my outermost clothing layer, which prevents hangups in the brush and the binos are thus protected and kept warm so they don't fog. The straps keep the binos in the handiest position, provide stability in use and keep them from wandering around when not in use. One can literally run through the woods without having to hang onto his binoculars with his free hand. Can't say that for any single strap method.
My $0.02.

Regards --

-- No Plea

P.S. Mark 6.5x55 -- I always tell folks that my politics are Neo-Con ... -- Neo-CONfederate.

Posts: 64 | Location: 19th century | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this past summer i sold my pair of Ultravids adn purchased the Zeiss FL. For some reason they just appear sharper to my eyes. I do agree with Allen that they have more plastic in them, but certainly not in their lenses, which are top notch.