Find
Notify
Tools

Advice on 12ga rifled slugs
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted
I got a short barrel with rifle sights and rifled choke tube with my new remington 11-87,I have never used rifled slugs before.I know you guys in the states are big on shooting whitetails with shotguns,has anyone tried slugs on Elk or moose? I am keen to try slugs on some feral cattle this winter.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
For larger game I would suggest the newer Copper Solid type slugs. The Remington copper solids have shot very well in my 11-87 slug gun with the cantilever barrel and full rifling. I get .75" groups at 100 yards with the (now Discontinued) 1 3/8 oz product and 1.25" groups with the 1 oz product. I have not tried the new 1 3/8 oz hardcast lead product. I find it very hard to beat the copper solid. Penetration on whitetail has been chest to hip and the whitetail I shot with one this year field dressed at 235 pounds.
If you are a Federal Fan, they have the Barnes copper solid loaded also. Definately worth trying.

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I live in a state that only allows shotgun hunting. I've been using a Rem 1100 with a rifled choke tube for many years since they first came out. I find that the Brenneke type slugs with the wad attached to the slug and fins on the slug seem to work best with a rifled choke tube. I was using Activ slugs, but they stopped making them last year. They would cloverleaf at 100 yds!! Look for the highest velocity slug you can find with the wads attached. This season I used Wolf slugs. Theyn are Brenneke type and made in Germany. If I have any complaint about them, it's that they are too hard. This however may be desireable in your case for penetration on those wild "cows".

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
I have only used these slugs this year.

www.tarhunt.com

go to the Lightfield link and check out the two videos they have. It will show what a slug can do.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2590 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
I have to second the Remington Copper Solid
recommendation. My sons and I shoot 1 oz Rem.
Copper Solids out of fully rifled barrels, installed
on 2 - 11-87 SPs, and one 1100. All of the guns
shoot these rounds at about 1.5 MOA, and the
on game performance is impressive. I would not
be hesitant to use these firearms, and Copper Solid
sabots, on ANYTHING that walks on this planet,
if within 100 yards. Non-dangerous game like
elk, and deer, I would extend the range to 200
yards. There is plenty of accuracy, and punch,
in these bullets, for shots beyond the effective
range of Foster type rifled slugs. I also have a
Mossberg 695 fully rifled, ported, bolt action 12 ga.
that is a tack driver with this ammo. The first
buck I shot with this gun was walking, at just over
125 yards. The buck was a northern whitetail, that
dressed out just under 200 lbs, and was quartering
away from me. The shot placement was perfect
behind the shoulder. The Copper Solid absolutely
destroyed the far side shoulder, before exiting, and
the animal was down within a couple of yards of the point
where I pulled the trigger on it. It is some of the
best ammo I have found, for fully rifled shotguns.

My nephew tried to use these with his rifled choke tube
shotgun, and the accuracy was only fair, so Copper
Solids may not be a good choice for shtoguns shooting
smooth bore barrels with a rifled choke tube. I believe
he found Federal Premium Sabot ammo held better groups,
but from my quick views of the on game performance,
I would say that looked more like the classic Foster
rifled slug performance.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
The problem is that he DOESN'T have a fully rifled barrel!!! The saboted slugs don't perform well through a rifled choke. While the copper solid sabots may work well in the fully rifled barrels they were designed for, they won't work well through a choke tube. Besides that, check the velocities on those copper sabots. Some Brennekes and the Wolfs are around 1700 fps. A lot of the saboted 12ga slugs are only around 1500 fps or so.I would rather have the power of a 1 oz slug at 1675 fps as opposed to a smaller saboted pill at lesser velocity. Believe me, been there, done that!! I've checked nearly every slug on the market with rifled choke tubes, hence my reccomendations. Of course every gun is unique, and I would advise some experimentation as your results may vary.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another slug that I have had good luck with from a rifled choke tube is the Lightfeild Hybred Sabot. You really have to try several brands to see what your gun likes.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I would use Brenneke slugs, they seem to perform excellently! Big Grin

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the tips,i will try a few different loads on the range.I'm heading down south after a bull in May will keep you posted.

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1871 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bowhuntrrl:
The problem is that he DOESN'T have a fully rifled barrel!!! The saboted slugs don't perform well through a rifled choke. While the copper solid sabots may work well in the fully rifled barrels they were designed for, they won't work well through a choke tube.
Hey Bowhuntrrl, Though I do believe what you are saying is true for your shotgun and others as well, I have seen the Sabots shoot quite well through the Rem Cation(rifled) removeable Choke Tube. Apparently it just depends on the specific shotgun as you mentioned later in your post.

quote:
Besides that, check the velocities on those copper sabots. Some Brennekes and the Wolfs are around 1700 fps. A lot of the saboted 12ga slugs are only around 1500 fps or so.
The Sabot shells I've seen shot are much faster than the old Foster Style Slugs. I do not remember if a Breneke was in the groups I've seen shot or not, but will take your word for their high velocity.

What I noticed with the Foster style slugs is when shot at 75yds, their Point-of-Impact was about 15"-18" higher on the Target than the Sabot shells. To me this indicated the Sabots were faster and had less barrel time.

One of the guys had Foster style Slugs from Fed, Rem and Win. He shot one of each at the same target using a cantilevered scope and two of the Slugs touched with the 3rd making a 1.5" group. I was very impressed and he was too. I should also mention his shoulder was already sore from earlier shots.

The Sabots would also group well in his shotgun. He was calling flinches at that time though, so even though the groups were relatively small, he may have "flinched" them in or out, just no way to know.

But the difference in Point-of-Impact was quite significant in all the shotguns I've shot and witnessed between the Foster styles and the Sabots.

quote:
Of course every gun is unique, and I would advise some experimentation as your results may vary.
Completely agree.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gatehouse, Herr Brenneke's slugs are the best medicine.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote