Find
Notify
Tools

Texas Christmas morning!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
Lora's oldest daughter and her husband drove up from San Antonio on Friday to spend the weekend with us. The younger daughter and her husband drove out from Azle on Saturday, and spent the day, then today Lora's brother and his wife from Rhome came over today, so we have had an extended Christmas GTG.

At 6 this morning me, Lora, Carolyn and Mike got our gear loaded up and drove over to a 320 acre place the boss owns a few miles southwest of mine and Lora's house. We have 3 blinds set up on that place, two pop-ups, and an elevated 8'x8' blind overlooking two feeder.

It wasn't all that cold but it was raining a little off and on. We have only killed one doe off that place so far this year, so I figured it would be a good place for Carolyn to get her first deer.

The blind is big enough for 4 people and we had a couple of propane heaters, so it was a pleasant way to spend a Christmas morning, especially if the deer would cooperate. By 8:15 however, all we had seen was a 1.5 to 2.5 fork horn and a second buck I could never get a real good look at. By 8:30, we were looking at a pasture full of nothing.

I was contemplating folding up the tipi and heading for the house, when I caught movement close to the feeder that was east of us. At 9:00 Carolyn dropped this spike in his tracks. She was using Lora's 257 Robert's, shooting 115 grain barnes triple shock bullets. It was her first deer.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the young lady on her deer.

Thanks for posting that pic with the sucessfull hunter and the rifle with the bolt open for the photo session.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spikes eat pretty good too.
Congrats to the lady hunter.

Posts: 1484 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats to Carolyn, Good to see you are up and about since the accident.

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jds
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!!!! That spike is bigger than my first deer (also a spike) taken almost 50 years ago.

Make sure you get a First Deer Award from the Texas Big Game Awards. It's free and the paperwork can be found

HERE

And no matter what trophies she takes in the future, none will be as special as the first one.

JDS

And so if you meet a hunter who has been to Africa, and he tells you what he has seen and done, watch his eyes as he talks. For they will not see you. They will see sunrises and sunsets such as you cannot imagine, and a land and a way of life that is fast vanishing. And always he will will tell you how he plans to go back. (author: David Petzer)

Posts: 655 | Location: Burleson, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for her and good for you for taking them out! Glad to see it looks like you're coming along since the accident too. Happy New Year!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Happy New Year to you alo Sir. Things are going as well as can be expected. It is just going to take a little time and me not pushing things.

Even though I can't do any shooting, I can get other folks on to game, and at this point in my life, that is much more enjoyable anyway.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Awesome, I got a buck just like that in November! Best steaks ever!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there is NO way she is your daughter!!!
just teasing, what a great way to spend time with the family over the holidays.
may be a pain in the a$$ have a bum wing
but you are blessed tu2
wouldn't surprize me if she could outshoot you too

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

In actuality she is my step-daughter, but both her and her sister make me as proud as if they were my real daughters. they are great kids and have really good husbands. They constitute one of the real reasons why I regret never having children of my own.

Yes, truth be known she probably can out shoot me. Happy New Year ravenr. beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
crazy
i was just trying to poke alittle fun
my post was ment in jest.
looks like i stepped in it
my humble apoligies

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No you didn't step in nothing, I knew what you were getting, that is why I wished you a Happy New Year. I took your post as a compliment. tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
beer
rite back atcha then

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:

In actuality she is my step-daughter, but both her and her sister make me as proud as if they were my real daughters. they are great kids and have really good husbands. They constitute one of the real reasons why I regret never having children of my own.

Yes, truth be known she probably can out shoot me. Happy New Year ravenr. beer

I've got one like that myself, I doubt I'll ever have any of my own at this point in my life. Doesn't stop me from claiming her as my own and she likes it that way. I know she will be able to out shoot me real soon, she is competitive and hates to be bad at anything.

I hope to take her hunting down your way for pigs this next year. Just as soon as I can get her moved up to a ceterfire that she can be comfortable with at 100 yards. She likes to go hunting with me when she can and doesn't shy away from helping with field dressing.

Happy New Year to all!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for your daughter!!!! tu2

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MotorCity
posted Hide Post
Looks like fun. Happy hunting and have a great New Years!

Posts: 241 | Location: Rochester, Michigan | Registered: 18 May 2007Reply With Quote