New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawaii without a guide
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was wondering if any of you have ever tried to draw a tag for Mouflon on Lanai , Hawaii and tried a do it yourself hunt on public lands? What was your experience?

Posts: 894 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I’m considering the same this year. Any info? Is the hunting pressure high?

What’s the skinny on the draw?

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve hunted Lanai with a guide and was great. There are a few things to consider on a draw hunt. Last year the draw did not include a mouflan ram. You could take a ewe and an axis buck but no ram. Also, lodging and transportation can really be an issue. The former Avis Jeep rental is no longer in business. There are a couple of locals that rent jeeps and 4 wheelers. I believe the four seasons rents vehicles now. Not sure on pricing but the private rentals are about $200 a day. There are a lot of sheep and deer on the island but most of it is pretty rough terrain and it will be hot! You have to get a gun permit to have a rifle in Hawaii. The permit is issued by the county sheriff, (Maui county). I’m not sure what this entails exactly but you have to present yourself and the rifle in the sheriffs office in Kahului. I’m actually checking into this now. If a person can find a Jeep and lodging, figure out the gun permit, this is a really cool island with lots of game.

DRSS

Posts: 626 | Location: OK USA | Registered: 07 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Maui in April.

Friend went last year, got 2 goats, no guide. Hoping for axis deer.