New
Find
Notify
Tools

280 rem for black bear
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need some expert opinions on bullet selection for a black bear round. I just received this gun from McMillan after being built up by Montana actions and I really want to give it a go on my bear hunt in September.

I do not handload anymore so handloads are not an option.

Thanks,

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
140 or 150 gr partitions ought to do the trick.

Chuck

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Howdy Doug, how have you been?

Black bears aren't brown bears and I wouldn't hesitate to use your rifle chambered for .280 Remington (I have an Ackley Improved) for black bear. As I always say, shot placement is everything. Just to give you an idea what's out there. I'd go with one of the heavier-grain weights.

Take care, Doug, and good luck.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
Any 140-165 load will work fine. I'd test a few, see which shoots the best, and then go with it. Premium loads are fine, but you probably wouldn't need one. Black bears are usually not terrible big (200-250 lbs) and are not that hard to kill - I've taken a number of them with a 250-3000. Anyway, good luck.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Not an expert but he .280 is certainly up to the task. I handload but have yet to improve on Speer's 160gr Nitex ammo. I think it is being or has been discontinued but it shoots under 3/4MOA in my lt.wt. .280 @ 2850fps (23"bbl.). I bought a few boxes & will hoard them. If you decide on 140gr bullets I would recommend a premium as you are likely to take closer shots on bear & I have seen too many "standard" bullets come apart on light bones/heavy muscle @ high impact vel.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
NOSLER-OSLEr-OSLer-OSler

PARTITION-ITION-ITIOn-ition.

ONE FORTY-ORTY-ORTY orty

GRAINER-AINER-AINer-ainer

.280Rem+140NP= big dead bear

one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
Many a Bear has fallen to the .270 and 130 grain Noslers.My pick now in .270 is the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw mostly for Elk.Shot placement is the key and I doubt there are any factory loads out there that won't put Mr.Blackie on his but if you do your job.

Good luck.............Jayco.

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DWHUNTER, I've only killed one Black bear with my .280 Remington, so nothing scientific about the following.

Although you don't handload, I used a 160 Grain Nosler Partition in front of 54.0 grains of IMR 4350. I've clocked this round at 2,880 FPS. The bear was at about 85/90 yards away, and I shot him broadside clipping the front shoulder, shredding the lungs and exiting. He went down before I could bolt in another round and fire again. He weighed between 250/275 pounds.

Therefore, if it were I, using factory cartridges, I would look for one of the commercial rounds with a 160 grains Nosler Partition, in the .280 Rem. I'm not sure if they still make them but Federal used to make that exact cartridge.

Frankly, if I couldn't find that, I'd settle for the tried and true factory Remington 165 grains Soft Point Core Lokt. That bullet will smack a bear right quick. Although I've not killed a bear with it, I've used it on some big piggies, and they work just fine.

Good luck on your hunt. L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dwhunter: A lot of good advice here. I do not have experience with the .280 on black bear or anything else. But I do have some experience shooting black bears. My experiences are similar to the others who have commented here and while I use slightly larger calibers on black bears (.338Win Mag or .300 Wby), I absolutley agree with every thing said here. And I would focus on comments addressing bullet weight and construction. The .280 Rem would do just fine with most bullets, but I would bet a heavy for caliber bullet might give you a little extra killing power. Most bullet makers offer 160 and 175 grain bullets for the .280 and that is what I would pick if I were to use a .280 on black bear. I like the sound of Leanwolf's observations based on first-hand experience. I know you said that you will stick to factory loads but that should not prevent you from obtaining well-constructed bullets (Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Barnes X and others).

Where and how do you plan to hunt bear? Anyway, bear hunting is always fun and I hope you shoot a big one.

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ,

Good to hear from you, I hope all is well and that you are stateside at least until the end of this fall's hunting seasons.

Thanks to everyone for the good advice, I am going to be trying many of the mentioned rounds before the trip to see what this gun really likes. The day I received the rifle from McMillan I shipped it out to be camo dipped as the color choice I made for the stock came out butt ugly, so I will not have the gun back for a couple weeks, this also gives me time to order a zeiss conquest for it. I will also have my 300wby on hand from a moose hunt the week before in interior Alaska so whatever the need I should be covered.

In regards to where etc. We are going out of Whittier to cruise Prince William Sound for 5 days and I am hoping we can find a couple that put on a few lbs from the salmon runs.

Thanks,

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Federal Premium with 160gr Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. A good, looong bullet with good sectional density. It will give you the option of tough shots/angles if necessary and also if really close will hold together and not blow up should you hit a tough bone.

The .280 is a wonderful cartridge - one of the very best long range medium game rounds and an excellent choice for an ultra-lite mountain rifle.

Can you share some pics of your new rifle?

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
458 Ruger,

All I have right now is the bbl'd action as I have sent out the stock for a camo dip.

I should have the stock back in a week or two and I will gladly post some then, unless you want to see the action and bbl.

Doug

one of us
posted Hide Post
No that's fine, just wait til it's all together first. I bet it's a beauty. Waiting for a rifle to get done and into your hands is an excruciating experience!

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It truly is! A friend of mine once said, When I get a new gun I act like my dog, I put it on the floor and just keep rolling all over it!

Doug

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A friend of mine once said, When I get a new gun I act like my dog, I put it on the floor and just keep rolling all over it!

Oh thank God! I'm not alone! I'm not alone!

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Russ, don't you feel better now! I was a closet roller for years until I finally saw the light.

Doug