THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    any northern virginia turkey hunters?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

any northern virginia turkey hunters?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted
ok guys i'm taking a long shot here. I have lived in northern virginia (fairfax co.) for a little over a year, and i bowhunt at ft. belvoir for deer. i was thinking of getting into turkey hunting, also done at belvoir, but i'm a complete rookie going after gobblers. anyone out there hunt belvoir and would give me a couple pointers?
thanks.

Posts: 783 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Talk to Clint Horton, he runs the program at Belvoir, and he killed his first spring gobbler with me, a long, long time ago down here on the Mt Rogers NRA. He worked for me then, when I was a biologist for the Va Game Dept.
Clint is a super guy and an expert turkey hunter. He'll set you right.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
cooperjd:

I've hunted gobblers before, but in Pennsylvania. I wouldn't say I was an expert, but would love to give it another go.

I live in Lorton, just south of Ft. Belvoir on the east side of Rt. 1, heading out to Mason Neck.

If you are looking for someone to hunt with, I would love to submit an application! I need to go hunting more and was unaware of turkey huntin on the base. If you would care to share some info, please let me know.

(I used to work, as a contractor, at DLA, on the base.)

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
577NE, you don't live far from me, i live just north of mt. vernon right off the g.w. pkwy. belvoir is pretty easy to hunt, its all bowhunting though. you have to had taken the IBEP course, it is offered fairly regularly there. and you have to qualify with your hunting setup at 20 and 30 yards for the folks at belvoir, hitting a 9" circle 2 out of 3 times. i don't remember what the yearly cost to hunt is, but its not much. under 100 bucks.

i pretty much have no idea what i'm doing when it comes to chasing turkeys, but its always fun to hunt. if you're interested we can give it a shot. if not we'll have to grab a brew and swap hunting stories.

Posts: 783 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
cooper:

I would like that.

Am I understanding it correctly that for turkey hunting, you have to use a bow too?

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
that is correct, it is all bowhunting only.