Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes Triple shock
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody have any experience with these or any other monomeatel bullets??? I'm reloading 30-06 and 243min with Barnes and Hornaday GMX.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Have used both TSX and GMX in 30-06 and 308 on pigs, cow elk, and deer.

They work great. Use which ever one your rifle shoots best!

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have any first hand experience with the hornady GMX other than seeing a small bull moose that my buddy shot with a 150gr gmx at abotu 200 yards and pictures of a sheep he shot with the same load. He has been fairly pleased with it.

The barnes TSX on the other hand is prety much all I shoot any more. I have been runnning the 168gr TSX out of my 300 RUM for a couple years now and between me and some friends this load has taken, 3 black bear, 2 moose, two carabou, and a handful of blacktails. It has been spectacular. I have gotten some very impressive penetration. I have yet to retrieve a bullet including 5+ feet of penetration on a moose, bullet entered the rump and exited the chest.

Accuracy has been great in all calibers I have loaded tsx in, generally being easy to find accurate loads with.

Posts: 671 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have used 150,165,180gr TSX in -06, 308 and 300RUM. They have all been sub MOA and performed flawlessly and as a matter of fact the TSX is the only 165gr bullet my -06 likes.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of KMG Hunting Safaris
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the TSX.

Marius Goosen
KMG Hunting Safaris
Cell, Whats App, Signal + 27 82 8205387
E-mail: info@huntsafaris.co.za
Check us out on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/kmghuntingsafaris
Instagram: @kmg_hunting_safaris

Posts: 1378 | Location: Eastern Cape | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
duplicate post

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
duplicate post

Hey Mike, you must be getting old. Big Grin rotflmo old

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
paleohunter,

I've used the TSX in both the 165 and 180 in the '06. Penetration is incredible.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12928 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 160 TSX loaded by Federal is the only factory load my 7mm Remmy Dakota 76 will shoot and I get one hole three round groups out of it at a 100. I shot a huge Canadian buck with one a few years ago and he was DRT. Very effective bullet. My Browning 7mm sprays them all over the paper, though, and likes 140 TBBC's. Go figger. The TSX is a very effective killer.

Posts: 11729 | Location: Florida | Registered: 25 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Well I have a box of GMX and I'll give it a shot (no pun intended) But what about in a 243?? I wonder if a 85gr TSX will kill as well a say a 100gr conventional load. A 243 does not leave much room for error.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I've used the TSX on whitetail, pronghorn and African plains game and they've worked perfectly.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have use both TSX and GMX. I have much more experience with TSX's. My experience with GMX is limited to about 1/2 dozen kills with 130gr 277. It works fine.

I twisted Hornady's ear and requested a 200-210gr 338 caliber and 286gr 9.3. I also prodded them about some 22 caliber 55gr GMX's.

TSX's have worked just fine also and they have a much broader selection to choose from.
I have used:
22 caliber- 45 and 53 gr for many deer and antelope

277 caliber- 110 and 130gr on many deer and antelope

338 caliber- 210gr TSX on deer and elk

Loaded some 366caliber- 250TSX, have not used them on anything yet. Maybe Nilgai in March if I can swing the trip.

I really like Hornady bullets but went to Barnes simply because Hornady was not making a monometal.

Now that Hornady is making GMX's, I will use them in place of the TSX's. When they offer a comparable weight.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Blacktailer,

Getting very old...almost dead...quit buying green bananas.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used Barnes x,Barnes tsx,and Nosler E-tip on Black bear, Deer,oryx, and Elk. Never recovered A bullet as they were all pass throughs. The E-tip is the most impressive in the amount of energy that it imparts to the animal. They all shoot well and I have more confidence in them than any cup and core traditional bullet. My definition of a bullet failure is one that after it srikes the animal comes back at me. I shot A Dall sheep from above and behind the animal. Part of the bullet went through the back taking out the heart and lungs exactly where I shot. The unnerving part was that there was A 4 inch exit hole in the neck comming right back at me. The distance to the animal was 170 yards, the caliber was 7 mmm remington mag, the bullet was A 160 grain Nosler accubond.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
I have used 165 gr 30 cal TSX in my 300 WSM now for several years - works great, tremendous penetration - Mule Deer, Whitetail, and a Javelina. Only recovered 1 from the javelina no less - but the bullet entered the back of the animal, travelled through spine diagonally lengthwise, exited, reentered the knee, and then about 6" down the tibia where I found it lodged just above the ankle.

I have also used 250 gr TSX in .366 cal in my 9.3x62 . . . could have recovered one bullet on a Blesbok where I broke both shoulders, but the staff didn't find it (or probably look for it). This bullet/rifle has accounted for Gemsbok, Springbok, Steenbok, Jackal, Blesbok, feral hog, whitetail, and mule deer.

I've also used Barnes XLCs (blue coated X bullets) in 6.5 cal in .260 Rem and 6.5x284 with good results, accounting for quite a few whitetails, hogs, and feral sheep. Only recovered 2 - one through a buck entering just in front of right hip and ending up lodged under left shoulder, and one shot at close range into a large boar that went through 2" shoulder hide, shoulder bones, spine, shoulder bones, and lodged under off-side skin.

Troy Hibbitts

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
+1 Barnes TSX 165gr .300 WSM

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks all

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
i USE TSX/TTSX bullets in everything from .223s to 300 WM They kill deer like gangbusters and there really isn't much difference in the holes from the little ones to the big ones.

A .243 with 38/38.5 Varget under a 80 grain TTSX or 85 grain TSX will penetrate deer all the way and your chances of recovering one are slim and none.

My only complaint with them is that thay can be very critical about seating depth and they can be difficult to find the right depth. Once you have that depth, there is no better bullet for big game.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I used 180 grain TSX bullets in my 300 Win Mag for black wildebeest, 2 kudu, blesbok, mountain reedbuck, common duiker, scimitar horned oryx, blackbuck and a bull elk. Every single shot has been pass thrus and only 2 of these animals needed a follow up shot.

This summer I will be playing around with the 168 grain TTSX just for giggles.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paleohunter:
But what about in a 243?? I wonder if a 85gr TSX will kill as well a say a 100gr conventional load. A 243 does not leave much room for error.

These springbucks were taken with 85gr Barnes at about 300 yards each, but in 25 caliber. I thought they worked stupendously well.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been using Barnes since 1992. Outstanding on-game performance, and with the TSX, the accuracy has been excellent.

I use a 45gr XLC in 22Hornet, 85gr TSX in 243, 130gr T-TSX in my 270 and 168gr TSX in the 30-06.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello PH,

I've had good performance with X-bullets and better with TSX in .30-06, .300 WBY, .375 H&H, and .458 Lott in mule deer, elk, plains game and a buffalo. Accuracy has been as good as anything else shot through the specific rifles and, so far, judging but wound channels, nothing has failed to expand. I've only recovered 3 of 24 bullets shot into game (in a blue wildebeest, a kudu and a buffalo). I still use Nosler Partitions is some calibers as I've used them for longer and have a good supply, but I have been happy with the TSX and a few TTSX bullets. I haven't used the other monometal bullets yet.

Best,

jpj3

Posts: 141 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
tsx for me. 168 in .06 with lots of kills. no problems. got about 400 more on the shelf to load

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have used 200 grain TSX in a 300 win mag on deer. 165 Xbt on moose in a 308 win. 375 X in a 500 S&W on moose. 180 MRX on deer in a 300 win short mag.

I love X bullets. I find they do not bloodshot meat and open up nicely. Nice exits, usually an inch and a half to two inches wide.

I have 200 180 grain E-tips that I plan on using for a while in the coming seasons.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by paleohunter:
Well I have a box of GMX and I'll give it a shot (no pun intended) But what about in a 243?? I wonder if a 85gr TSX will kill as well a say a 100gr conventional load. A 243 does not leave much room for error.

Hard to see in my avatar, but the buck on the right went about 170. He was hit with a 85 TSX. Hard quartering away. Hit the last two ribs on the way in, Just missed the liver, no recognizable lung tisse left in the chest, the heart was loose in the chest and ruptured open with all four chambers and valves perfectly exposed, first two ribs on the way out of the chest, followed along the cervical spine and exited almost at the head. Total penetration about 30 inches. 140 yards, 3200 FPS MV

IMO it had a lot more "room for error" than my '06 with 180s, and did a better job than the would have.

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by graybird:
I used 180 grain TSX bullets in my 300 Win Mag for black wildebeest, 2 kudu, blesbok, mountain reedbuck, common duiker, scimitar horned oryx, blackbuck and a bull elk. Every single shot has been pass thrus and only 2 of these animals needed a follow up shot.

This summer I will be playing around with the 168 grain TTSX just for giggles.

graybird,

Try the TTSX 130 out of the 300 WM. At 3600 it's a real eye opener, and it sure gets the attention of what you insert one into at that speed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve taken 14 roe deer with the 85 grain TSX from my Blaser R93 243w, and only two ran 15 and 30 meters with a perfect bullet, the other 12 has just dropped dead in their track.

I’m now converting my R93 with 5 barrels into a Schultz & Larsen 30.06 and will try the TSX in either 150/165/168

Thanks Bjarne

Posts: 185 | Location: Randers - Denmark | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote