Find
Notify
Tools

Axis hunts in west Texas
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
Just thinking ahead to when I move to south central New Mexico this fall -- does anyone know of reasonably priced Axis deer hunting opportunities in west Texas? I am not looking for a trophy, just a chance to put some of the wonderful meat in the freezer and see a little more of Texas, so a doe or management hunt would fill the bill just fine. Have heard nilgai makes wonderful table fare as well. Sure don't have to have five-star accommodations, either.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,
You might try contacting Mulie Mike who advertises on here. He can probably find something for you.

Posts: 222 | Location: Peculiar, MO | Registered: 19 July 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Gracias, Heeler.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Mulie Mike.

Bill he's a good guy.

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Have an e-mail in to Mike. Eager to hear.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know several places. PM sent

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 937 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill,
Axis and to a degree, Nilgai are very common on Texas exotic ranches and getting a good price on a an Axis doe is easy if you do not need 5 star lodging.
The trick to getting a good rate like I got on that cow elk a couple years ago, is to have contacts and shop before your hunt.
I am not in the business of exotic ranching, but know folks that are and will put you in touch when you are ready to hunt.
One of my hunting buddies just picked up an axis/Audad package near Dallas at a very good price and he will take them next weekend. If he delays much, the game and deal may be gone.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
BTW, pronghorns are also good to eat and very common in west Texas and northern New Mexico.
My son and I will be in NM toward the end of the month at Whittington Center burning some powder and then hunting pronghorns and shooting PDogs.
Good sport!

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Mckinny - Mulie Mike

Have done 2 hunts with him - highly recommend him.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike is good guys. You will like him. He will set you up.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Heard from Mike. Good stuff. Charles, I will be in touch, and thanks.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, New Mexico? You'll have to change your AR name...Bill/New Mexico?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I just spent an hour on the phone with my friend in the exotic business and he has so many bargain deals that I need help shooting them all. Try axis does for $350 and aoudad rams 2 for $1400 on and on up through bison or Yaks for $1200. Also one place with so many Barasingha they need culled and package deals enough to make your head spin. He has even been selectively finding deals on game for me to take with my .405 double! My family freezers are already running over so it may be time for a big BBQ party to make room for more meat!

When did you say you will be moving?

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Not soon enough it sounds like!

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crshelton:
Bill,
I just spent an hour on the phone with my friend in the exotic business and he has so many bargain deals that I need help shooting them all. Try axis does for $350 and aoudad rams 2 for $1400 on and on up through bison or Yaks for $1200. Also one place with so many Barasingha they need culled and package deals enough to make your head spin. He has even been selectively finding deals on game for me to take with my .405 double! My family freezers are already running over so it may be time for a big BBQ party to make room for more meat!

When did you say you will be moving?

Yaks?? Thats a new one on me, didn't know we had them in Texas.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Yes and they are big dudes. I hear they are among the best bovine meat available.
A buddy sponsored a leverguns hunt on his exotic ranch several years ago and one of the hunters took a yak with his .45-70 and I bet they are still eating off it. Roll Eyes

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, learn something new everyday. My son, now living in Golden Co, and I might be interested in a yak hunt. Are they real hunts or do you just walk out in a pasture and shoot one? Please PM me with details if you'd prefer. Thanks CAT

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Gat,
Well finding a Yak in the Texas brush is a bit less work that finding a whitetail or sleeping Aoudad or hogs, but there are levels of difficulty. For instance, I prefer to spot and stalk. Retrieval of large game is usually done with mechanized means:

Hunters that are handicapped by age(young or old), eyesight, injuries, etc may be allowed to shoot from a truck.
I will send you a PM with information on how to contact my hunting buddy who can help you with information on the Yak and other sweet deals he found.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Great stuff Charles! There was a ranch outside of Bend, Oregon, that offered yak meat and it had quite a following.
Wonder how barasingha rates as table fare.
I should land in or near Alamogordo by early October.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Hey, October is a good cool time to hunt in the southwest. Have a safe move and let us know when you have landed.

DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yak meat is awesome...There is a ranch in New Mexico North of Alburque that borders the Indian that has Yak and Bison hunts, foot or horseback, and success rate is real high, but Ive forgot the name of it..I will look thru my files and see if I can find it, they do have a web page, you might google up yak and bison hunts and find it..I would do the same in New Mexico. Once you get settled let me know I go thru New Mexico go Texas a couple of times a year and I know a lot of people that can help you.

As to any exotics in Texas I would go direct to the ranchers and cut out any middle men, save yourself some major bucks..Texas has no registered guides as all land is privately owned. Check with the Alpine, Marfa, Ft. Davies chamber of commerces and call the rancher direct..These are not fenced hunts in that area, they are 30 to 100 thousand acre low fenced ranches..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, thanks for that tip.
Found these folks about three hours north of Alamo.

http://www.lamontbuffalo.com/

– John Green, author