Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Choice
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted
Which of the two do you guys think would be a better choice on black bear and hogs. Using a winchester 94 30/30---- Winchester 170 gr. silver tips -or -- federal 170 gr. nosler partitions

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Partitions.

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of the Barnes-X but the Partition is a far better choice over the the silver-tips.

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanoose, I don't think it matters a great deal at 30-30 velocities, but I don't use Silvertips so that's a WAG. FWIW, I doubt any bullet will kill any better from that cartridge than a Core-Lokt, Hornady, or Speer. I have heard that in the past Silvertips were iffy insofar as reliable expansion, consider that a third hand rumor.

Partitions do open up very well so you won't go wrong with them, but for the most part all of the bullets intended for the 30-30 have thin jackets, and their round or flat nose will open up readily. I've used the 30-30 for over 20 years at this point and see little difference betweent the 150 and 170 grain bullets for hog of deer. Either will do the job.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Silver Tips for sure.

We are talking 30/30 velocities so, You're gonna need something that will expand alittle.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
At 30-30 velocities there will not be enough difference to matter.

The plain old Winchester and Remington loads have killed a mess of game when shot from 3-30 firearms. The 30-30 has been around a LONG time and the ammo manufacturers have developed loads that work well in it.

Having said that, I cannot imagine the situation where you can go wrong shooting Nosler Partitions.

R F

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with reloader

I don't think with 30 30 velocity, and the thin skin on a black bear the partition will open up properly.

I have shot quite a few moose with silvertips in mo 30 06 and had quite good luck.

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad Starcevich
posted Hide Post
I have had great results with both Partitions and
core-Lokts on boar. At 30-30 velocities, core-Lokts should work just fine, and I suspect they're less expensive than the Partitions.
Good hunting.
Best, Starcharvski.

Posts: 135 | Location: St. Charles, IL USA | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any good 170 grain bullet should do fine. I like the partitions but I don't quess I ever used them in the 30-30.

Posts: 37 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
If you reload, let me encourage you to check out the Speer 170 gr.

It's made with their "hot-core" process, so it holds together well (though at 30-30 vel. not a problem), and it expands nicely.

What's more, it's ballistic coefficient is .304! Not that a person would ever take a "long" shot with a 30-30, but between 100 and 200 yards it preserves its already modest velocity better than a Partition or Silvertip.

Anyway, good luck, and I'm sure you'll do well no matter what you choose.

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote