New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS devices
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone had any experience with GPS systems?

I'm looking to buy one to help me navigate through the woods, especially at night. I use a topo map and compass but having a GPS would really help.

I want a basic one that can:
- Tell me where I am using the military-style coordinates
- Is visible in low light
- Has a long battery life.

I do NOT want all the bells and whistles that will require me to get an engineering degree to figure out how to use it and/or use up the batteries quickly.

Does anyone have recommendations for a make/model?

Thx

Hunter308

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Garmin 120 I use it a lot brought the mapping program for it. It is very usefull. They have a 130 out now with 3 time the memory. I would buy that now instead of the 120

Posts: 19441 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you spend your money, take a look at the brand new Magallan "Explorist." I have no idea if it will work for you, since I have only read a little about it, and I haven't tried it. It costs $100.00, and according to the NRA's American Hunter, October 2000, this unit is the easiest one to use in the market. "It will tell you where you are and how to get back to the truck. It's the size of a cell phone, it contains nationwide maps with street names for navigating in the car, is backlit, and is waterproof."

I don't think it has an altimeter like eTrek's "Vista," but it only costs half the price. I haven't read all the specifications, but will probably take a look later. Just in case you want to look at the unit and ask questions, here is their web site:

Magellan

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Garmin E-Trex "Vista" model and have been very impressed with it. It gives peace of mind when out and about, especially should you end up in the dark, fog, snow, etc.

They have mapping programs you can install that give you roadways, etc also for travel purposes, or topo mapping systems too. The more you use it the more you'll like it. You can lock-in favorite spots and return right to them, even when you'd normally never be able to find the place again!

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Garmin Legend that I'm very happy with.

Priced right, easy to understand, one handed operation (thumb operated joystick), etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You want WAAS-enabled and there is no need to spend more than $200. My Magellan Sportrak acquires quickly and gets me anywhere. And back. I think they all are backlit for nighttime.

BTW, you will always need a compass to get the fullest out of your GPS. Not to mention as a back-up. I have a Suunto wrist sighting compass that is super for orienteering with a GPS. But it reads backwards and on the dial edge so it would not work well for nighttime.

For nighttime it would be hard to beat a luminous wrist compass of the old military style.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the e-trex, and it is very simple, and user friendly. Mine is the old yellow one without the built in compass, a compass would be nice. I carry a couple of compasses anyway, but one in the GPS would be a welcome addition.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess you could tape one onto it, being sure to check that electonic noise doesn't interfere. And if you lose the GPS you lost your compass. Of course that what the spare is for, huh?

I keep a dime-store compass on my watch wristband just for backup.

BTW, why the devil don't they make GPS in blue? Blue (and white, though undesireable) is the only color leaves don't turn! I've got mine wrapped in blue electrical tape and in a blue cell phone case.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

BTW, why the devil don't they make GPS in blue?

Mine IS blue...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunter308:

Almost all GPS units can be configured to read UTM coordinates, which is the same type of system the army uses. Most new USGS maps have UTM grid lines, but those that don't have the UTM coordinates on the map.

Once you use UTM, you will never use anything else.

I have three GPS's, and the Etrex is my favorite.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i just got bach from a pretty rough hunt and the three of us had garmin gps,s two 72 s and one 76 and they are brilliant ....i paid $139 for my GARMIN 72 from GPS CITY...and yes its real easy to use
daniel

Posts: 1480 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lawdogso
posted Hide Post
Look at the Garmin Rhino. It's cheap and right on. I Geocash for fun and that Rhino is a good cheap unit. Plus it's easy to use!
Aaron

Posts: 81 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 21 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I use an Etrex Summit.

It's a good unit, and I've used it for years.

I have a lousy sense of direction, so it has simplified my life considerably, as I don't have to break out the compass and map all the time to figure out where the hell I've "turned myself around to"

A topo map is so useful though. Combined wiht a GPS, you can find out where youare, the best route to somewhere else, and the possible areas that you would like to arget in your hunting.

Actually, on a recent hunt, I was really frustrated without a topo, and it took us a couple of days to find the lay of the land, whereupon I promptly injured myself. Witha topo and a GPS, we could have figured out the terrain in a day.

(It was really foggy for the first couple of days)

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote