THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone Using The 6.8 For Deer And/Hogs?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone Using The 6.8 For Deer And/Hogs?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted
I am interested in the performance that was gotten and the type of ammo used
Both the good and the bad

Thanks.... tu2

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have used the 85gr TSX and 110gr TSX on deer and hogs. Both worked well with much better penetration out of the 110 gr. range limit is about 300 yards with that ammo but supossedly the 95gr TTSX is designed for lower velocities to work out to 500 yards. I have also used the 110gr Pro Hunter and it worked exactly like the Sierra PH is designed to.

Perry

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rerry for the reply... tu2

In the Canadian Hunting forum there is a thread about taking a Musk Ox with the 6.8

http://forums.accuratereloadin...7621043/m/4191033741

The OP has taken a Grizz as well and both the Musk Ox and grizz only required 1 shot each

Any one else....

tu2

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwp475:
.... Any one eles....

tu2

Yes, I've heard of ele's being taken with the 6.8 as well Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
I took 5 deer with it in a 15" Contender using the 110gr Sierra Prohunter and the 110TSX. Both worked well. Ranges were from 50-150yds.

Never should have sold that barrel, it was a TACK DRIVER!!

Josh

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my son and I have taken musk -ox with the 6.8 using 115gr at 75 yards.
My son has also taken a grizzly bear with the 6.8 and still with 115gr bullet so a deer would not be a problem.
That is as long as the first shot is well placed.
Shot placement is more important that what caliber is used
joe
joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe-S:
My son has also taken a grizzly bear with the 6.8 and still with 115gr bullet so a deer would not be a problem.
joe
joe

Thanks, for the reply....

I couldn't agree more about shot placement trumping all else.... tu2

- Winston Churchill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you both really believe the amount of available Bullet Energy in relation to the Size of the Game, and the Transfer Rate at the Point-of-Impact is of little concern?

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ah, yessssss .....and what about the angle of the dangle?!! We MUST be vigilant.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are using a small or weaker caliber than shot placement is even more inportant. In most cases this means waiting for the perfect broadside shot.
I am not saying any small calibers can kill all animals but you do not need a large magnum for deer.
joe

Posts: 109 | Location: Nunavut CANADA | Registered: 21 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Do you both really believe the amount of available Bullet Energy in relation to the Size of the Game, and the Transfer Rate at the Point-of-Impact is of little concern?

I see that there are many that will not let cluelessness stand in the way and they post BS just to make sure that the world knows just how clueless they truly are. Dumbfucktitude is alive and well.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...7621043/m/4191033741

quote:
Originally posted by white north:
Just came back from Muskox hunting,and got a nice bull using a 6.8 SPC with 115gr remington core lock. One bullet thru the heart is all that was required, as I was only 10 yards away. Did not recover the bullet as it exited. The bull lasted only a few seconds. I am very impressed with the ruger mini 14 in 6.8 SPC and what it can do. It took one bullet to kill a 8 foot grizzly,and now one shot on a bull Musk Ox. White North

quote:
Originally posted by Joe-S:
joe
joe

- Winston Churchill

One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
From my own experience just about any centerfire round will and can work on deer and hogs. I am about to stir it up i believe.
I have shot deer size game and larger with everything from 22lr to 416 rem mag. Some were dead before god got the news and some ran off a short distance. The only animal i have had to run more than 100yds were deer shot with a bow.
And also the only deer i have lost was with a bow shot.
Bullet construction for the intended game animail and placement of the shot are what is important not the said caliber.
Some like large magnumcalibers and try to take animals with the largest thing available some like to try and see what is tha smallest thing they can get by with. Ie home made longbow with wooden shafts and hand knapped broadheads. I have used them all and it just gets to personal lukes and dislikes.
Everyone that wants to belittle somene else for thier hunting harvesting choices is just playing to the anti hunter lobbiest in the media. If we would stop jumping on others and give our opinions as such and not the be all end all FACTS of ethical hunting per say maybe just maybe we will all be able to enjoy our hobbies or method of subsistance a while longer and not end up at some goverment food line to gt what others believe we are entitled to and only that.
There are enough regulations to go around already for the entire human race with out adding more or trying to force our idea of what is right, moral, or ethical whem it comes to hunting.
JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote