THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    The Blaser Chronicals. Turkeys and the 375 H&H

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Blaser Chronicals. Turkeys and the 375 H&H
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I took both my Blaser bbls in 375 H&H to the deer lease this weekend to sight them in with Federal factory 300 grain Nosler Partition at 200 yards. Ouch I still think I would rather shoot my 450 No2 than these light weight 375's.
I decided to go out and see if I could shoot a couple of turkeys to put in the freezer so I took the Tracker 19 3/4 inch 375[1.5-5 Leupold with heavy duplex] with the 300gr Noslers and went cruising around on the ATV. I spotted some turkeys in the distance so I "dismounted" and began the stalk. I managed to get within about 50 yards or so before they noticed me. As they were figuring out what to do I turned the scope up to 5x and fired an offhnd shot hitting one turkey. The others scattered. I quickly but quietly stalked in closer and saw some of the turkeys going up the side of the hill. They were about 70 to 80 yards away. I took a rest on a shaky limb, tracked a turkey through the brush and when he walked into a clear spot I tapped the trigger. He went right down.
You might think that hitting a turkey with a full power 375 H&H would "blow them up". It did make a BIG hole in them.
I have shot a lot of turkeys with a rifle and if you know where to aim, and are a little lucky you will not tear up much of the edible meat.
One turkey was hit perfect, the breast was not even touched, on the other turkey I lost about a 1 inch piece of breast near the wing. But the most important thing is that on both birds, I did not damage the heart, liver, or gizzard, my most favorite parts.
I must give a lot of the credit for the shots to the trigger on the Blaser R-93. It has no creep and breaks like a thin glass rod.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I have shot several turkeys with my 7mm REM MAG and have plenty of edible meat. If you hit them in the junction of the neck and chest, no meat will be damaged. This you I actually shot one in the head. The bullet struck about one inch below his eye. He dropped like a rock.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This year...

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used round nosed fmj 8mm bullets on turkeys with good effect. Right through the pinion and they drop like a stone and no meat loss. 375 should be the same, I would guess.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Africa is a long time off for me, but I have the excuse I need to get a 375 -- for turkeys. Who'd a thunk it?

Okie John

"The 30-06 works. Period." --Finn Aagaard

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have shot several turkeys with my 7mm REM MAG and have plenty of edible meat. If you hit them in the junction of the neck and chest, no meat will be damaged. This you I actually shot one in the head. The bullet struck about one inch below his eye. He dropped like a rock.

I love my Blaser but have only used it as a .375 in Africa. Did you shoot your turkeys with your 7mm here in Georgia?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, it is illegal to shoot turkeys with a rifle in Georgia. I was in Texas on a deer hunt. I had a turkey tag and the opportunity presented itself. Not as fun as calling them in and watching them strut, but a nice added bonus on the deer hunt

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
quote:
it is illegal to shoot turkeys with a rifle in Georgia.

I was wondering if you knew that! I guess there are indeed some varieties of hunting where we need to leave our R93's at home.... Wink Regarding legal firearms for turkeys in Georgia, the DNR's website says:
TURKEY FIREARMS
Shotguns with No. 2 or smaller shot and any muzzleloading firearm (scopes legal).

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote