New
Find
Notify
Tools

ELK by the hundreds!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
We have been in the grip of a severe drought here in Central MT for the last several years. This past summer was one of the dryest and HOTTEST on record.

Two days ago I watched as over 500 elk moved from three different directions into the ONLY irrigated field for miles. That green alfalfa REALLY draws them. I counted 350 one at a time as they jumped a fence in single file. Then saw another hundred to the west. At dark I saw another large herd to the south moving in but due to failing light couldn't do a precise count. And in ALL those elk I saw maybe TWO over 300" bulls. Literally hundreds of spikes though.

Five hundred elk in view of Interstate 15!

A few of the local Ranches have closed to bow hunters until we get some moisture and the fire danger subsides a little.I don't blame them. But I wonder WHEN we will finally get some rain?

FN in MT

[ 09-11-2003, 09:04: Message edited by: Frank Nowakowski ]

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank, stop this. I am drooling on my keyboard. Still remember the video. I hunted my ass off yesterday on a long hike and saw 10, 1 spike bull. He might have gone over 300 ............................................................ pounds.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
Yeah, they really go for that nice green alfalfa. Where we were bowhunting over the weekend it was still lush green, with fresh elk sign galore. And we actually got wet and cold, which was a most novel experience! But the elk had largely pulled out a day or three previous, heading for the hay meadows on the private land below. We packed in after school Friday. Heard a few bugles, & ran into a couple of elk on the trail. No positive ID as to size, as it was black as, well, night, out. Smaller bulls, I'd guess, as they were by themselves. They stunk to high heaven, though. I was kind of glad they weren't grizzly bears ;-).
We got into a few more while hunting, but their interest in presenting themselves for bow shots seemed low. The vast bulk had beat feet for the low country, though.
That's OK. After their little orgy, those bulls will be back, & so will we.

one of us
posted Hide Post
A ranch near where I live,was bought as a hobby ranch and the owner manages for elk. The first thing he did,was put in pivot irrigation on two differant meadows(around 5500 feet elevation). He planted alfalfa and has so many deer and elk on it year round,that he doesn't even have to cut it. The elk never migrate out,even in the heat of summer.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Frank, that's not fare, you're teasing us again. If I can't hunt them, maybe I can get some pics. to show the doubters that there are elk in Montana! [Eek!]

[ 09-11-2003, 04:36: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, I'm in Bozeman now, they are calling for rain this weekend. Don't know if it will reach Cascade or not. I hear they already have snow up in the mountains. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
We just got our first snow of the year in the Mtns today along with some much needed rain in the valley. Getting that "fall" feeling in the air.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I though the wolves ate all the elk in MT.

Sorry I could'nt help it [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guide a bowhunter starting this coming Sunday. I'll tote the 35mm with me , camera NOT grenade launcher. I'll try to get some shots to post.

I may just do another video like I did a few years ago and let it make the rounds.

FN in MT ...... Prayin' for RAIN

[ 09-11-2003, 09:04: Message edited by: Frank Nowakowski ]

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote