Find
Notify
Tools

U.S. submarine under attack!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted
If attacked in similar fashion, do you think a cruise missle would be an overkill in this situation?

CLICK HERE TO READ:Article Link

(http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/default.asp?target=bear_sub1.htm)

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Too funny. Polar bears are known for having no fear because they are the apex predator of their domain, but submarines taste like S***.

Ex-Submariner: MM-1(SS)

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That Bear is probably left over from a Soviet super secret cold war program that trained polar bears to bite off the antennas on the conning towers of US Subs. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I change my answer on the rifle for Polar Bear attacks? [Wink]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya think he spotted the guys that walked off and took the pics! [Eek!]

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
You think a harpoon anti-ship missle would be overkill?

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The pics were taken through the periscope camera. The number two scope come rigged with a built in camera for "interesting" jobs.

Posts: 12596 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You just have to remember that in the polar bear's world, he's top of the peak. Everything he see's is a potential food source, and therefore he gets to eat (or try and eat) it all. Looks like this one bit off a little more then he could chew though. LOL - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Me thinks he thought he had a really big fat seal.

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Don't we all have trouble opening a tin of food from time to time? [Eek!]

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So that's how polar bears get contaminated with chemicals. A whale is a whale unless it's a submarine.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the polar bear would rethink being the master predator if friend orca gets ahold of his butt. I've seen pictures of killer whales getting a hold of big leopard seals and tossing them around like rag dolls. The north Pacific or southern Arctic is about the only place the ranges of the two overlap though. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw a video a few years ago on one of the nature shows of a small young polar bear being grabbed by a killer whale. It certainly spelled his demise, but it looked like the whale took some damage too. My personal experience with polar bears is along the Arctic ocean coast and Hudson's Bay (Churchill, Eskimo Point, etc), and I never saw any killer whales in those areas. Having worked close to the bears I stand by my statement of the bear being lord of all he surveys. Until they've been shot at a time or two (and sometimes not even then) polar bears really aren't scared of anything except bigger polar bears. FWIW - dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or do you think that bear is like 12 feet tall, or so, given the size of the tail of a sub?
If I was a killerwhale, maybe bears don't taste good?

Why not have a nice fat, seal, or sea lion, instead?

Besides, bears have claws, and fight back...

s

[ 05-30-2003, 00:11: Message edited by: Socrates ]

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NAW you guys are all wrong look at the photo again, it just screams
"Look Ma what I caught,smile for the flash" [Big Grin]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ROFL!!!!

s
PS Sonny looks REAL BIG

[ 05-30-2003, 07:56: Message edited by: Socrates ]

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote