THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    East Of The Mississippi, With Dogs, Where Are The Largest Black Bear Taken?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

East Of The Mississippi, With Dogs, Where Are The Largest Black Bear Taken?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I appreceiate your answers.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eastern NC produced more than one a few years ago that actually exceeded 800 lbs. That area from the Dismal Swamp in VA south along the coast of NC has produced some monsters in the last 10 years. Here in western VA we see the occasional 400+ pounder, but not like the ag areas in the eastern part of the state. For the Eastern US hunter I'd recommend eastern NC.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BUCKMT:
Eastern NC produced more than one a few years ago that actually exceeded 800 lbs. .
Walt

that specific bear was living less than 100 yards from a hog farm and was raiding the corpse pile.
NC bears are limited in size.
West VA probably is your best bet for size but slim for success. get on the stairmaster and be prepared to stay for a couple odf weeks if you really want a big boar.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry KS, but if you check the NC DNR for some data and compare it with other eastern states, you'll see that eastern NC is indeed producing a surprising number of 400+ lb bears. There are several outfitters in that area that can provide some info also. If I wanted a chance at a truly large (over 400 lbs) blackie I'd go to the areas with the food, and WVA, which does have bears, is not the place.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Michigan's Upper Peninsula, specifically the Menominnee County area with some spill over into Delta (east) and Dickinson (west). A big mix of timber/swamp and ag areas. Lots of public land to run dogs.

Every year bears in the high 400s and low 500s are taken.

And, no, I don't guide, run dogs for bears, pound the drum for any that do-- i just hunt the suckers.

Dan Donarski
Hunter's Horn Adventures
Sault Ste. Marie, MI 49783
906-632-1947
www.huntershornadventures.com

Posts: 668 | Location: Michigan's U.P. | Registered: 20 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BUCKMT:
Sorry KS, but if you check the NC DNR for some data and compare it with other eastern states, you'll see that eastern NC is indeed producing a surprising number of 400+ lb bears. There are several outfitters in that area that can provide some info also. If I wanted a chance at a truly large (over 400 lbs) blackie I'd go to the areas with the food, and WVA, which does have bears, is not the place.

If you want someone to hold your hand while you shoot a honey & oats blackie you can do it in NC, for sure.
If you want to "Hunt" a real big mature bruin there not many better spots than the secluded mountains of WV.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obviously KS you've never been to North Carolina, or if you have you haven't been out of the air conditioning.
The guy says "where's the big blackies east of the Mississippi" and NC is one of the places where he can find them. Last year's kill figures show the coastal counties of NC took 1000 bears (total for the state was 1800+), and WVA took 1700+/- statewide. Average weights on males were slightly higher in NC, but NC had more "bruisers" over the 500 lb mark. Once again, go where the food is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
been there?
uh.
i think i have been there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, we want to be sure, so when the nurse comes by with your medication you can ask her.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For sure we got bears in the caroline. In the mountains we got plenty but not the big bears like in the coastal plains. If you got the bucks someone will put you on a big one. You can hunt over the grain fields and kill a nice one. Shot range from 20-300 yards. If you want one the hard way you can do it right and run with the dogs. This is usually a young man's sport. It is a helluva run either through the mountain laurel hellsstright up and down, or through the eastern eternal swamps. If not in top shape do not apply. Your shot will be close on a treed bear or will be in a short range bar room brawl with dogs, man and bear all taking thier chances.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you look at the Boone and Crocket records, Eastern NC has the most true bruisers. The area around Williamsport, PA also has some monster bears. They also have a 3 day bear season with restrictions. For an out of towner wanting to up his odds of killing a big one, go to eastern NC.

I lived in NC for 5 years and was around bear hunting in the mountains in the western part of the state a few times. Personally, I think the hunting is "prettier" in the mountains, but I would expect to work harder and kill a smaller bear there. But if you are in a deep hollow with the Fall colors all around and it goes from silence to instantly hear the whole pack gyrating right on the tail of the bear as they crest the ridge, it will sure get you adrenaline rushing. Well, if you are a hound lover it will, anyway. I prefer to hunt anything with dogs myself.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I am out of state, do I need a guide in North Carolina ?

Any good guides you could recommend ?