THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    So who really did better...Montana or Idaho...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So who really did better...Montana or Idaho...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
I understand Montana nearly filled its 75 wolve quota but Idaho only did 50% but that still meant Idaho took over a 100...

So who do we declare the winner...just causing a little ruckus on a sensitive topic.

Actually it is good to see both states actively managng the natural resources.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They both won. Wyoming lost!!!!

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
I would condider any dead wolf a victory. So they both won. Idaho just won more.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i had heard idaho was north of 150
and wyomings only loss
was not having "permission"

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
It's just comforting to know there are still two states that can identify a problem and try to manage it.

California Mtn. Lions next? Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Raven,

That is good news. I had heard it was only about 50% sounds like they are getting closer to 70%.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10096 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Government trappers and preditor control people have been busy. So if hunters in Idaho shot 150 and hunters in Montana shot 75, that leaves 275 for Wyoming by government trappers! thumb My neighbor is a government trapper, and I can assure you, they are keeping numbers in check, and with better success than hunters. Feds wolves, feds need to control their wolves. They are much more efficient. It's an easy game for them and done on a 24/7 365 basis.

Record wolf deaths in NRockies after list removal

Hunting of gray wolves and killings of the animals in response to livestock attacks have pushed the number of dead wolves to a record of more than 500 this year in the Northern Rockies.

And that's just months after the wolves were removed from the endangered species list.

Officials say it's too early to know if the overall population will suffer. It will be months before they can gauge if wolf hunts in Montana and Idaho are curbing the predators' hunger for livestock.

As biologists prepare their 2009 population tally, the results will be closely watched _ both by environmentalists seeking to restore wolves to the endangered species list and ranchers who resent the predators chewing into their livelihood.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevenxbjt:

California Mtn. Lions next? Roll Eyes

New Jersey bears next.

California mt. lions................I don't think so.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Record wolf deaths in NRockies after list removal

I just love the way the media phrases stuff.

If there wasn't a hunting season before, hence no "records", of course there's going to be "record kills".

"It ain't lion hunting unless you get stitches." - John in WYO

"It became aquatic, briefly." Ann ~ Aspen Hill Adventures

The bear has to touch you to hurt you. Don’t let the bear touch you.

Posts: 239 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Kudu,

Good to hear that while the Wyoming suit thing is a hassle at least efforts are being made.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Trust me, I'm well aware that there won't be a Ca mountain lion season until there is a liberal season to get their numbers down to a more manageable level.

* Although I was given a depredation permit for a lion last year no questions asked, having been denied on prior occassions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Problem lions in CA should be relocated to Griffith Park ...

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the idea in Idaho was to kill about 150. The number of tags sold was about 225 to insure we got that many killed. Of course, those were only the ones that got "Tagged".

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand that Wyo has parvo in their packs. Now that is the gift that keeps on giving. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron

That is the word that the media had out before they delisted them in Idaho and Montana, another way to cry wolf to get the hunts stopped before they started. I do hope that you are correct and I can add some to you're statement, here in central Wyoming the coyote population is getting hit hard with MANGE. I can only hope that the wolves will also catch this disease here soon.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are lots of people who whould love a cougar season in CA right now. Also, there are lots of deer too.

Posts: 96 | Location: Arroyo Grande, Ca. | Registered: 09 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just spent 10 days in western Montana hunting.
I lived there in the early 80s and hunted ALOT. Now, there are wolf tracks everywhere while you hunt ,and bear tracks too!. We saw very little game track and put many miles on high and low and saw very very few deer.
The harvest counts this year were down 45%!!!!!! on deer and elk at check stations . They have a very big problem and don't want to say it because it would stop hunters from spending money in Montana. I for one will not hunt there again and it took much soul searching to make that decision since I dearly love Montana.
Between the wolves and the granola heads who push stricter seasons ands fishing regs the state is not what it used to be. Very sad.

Posts: 744 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 10 February 2007Reply With Quote