New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me pick out a new rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, my college days are almost over and my parents wanted to get me something nice, i am thinking hey why not a nice custom rifle, something around 2.5k. What a gift still cant believe it, Just wondering what all is out there. So far i have looked at ed brown nice but dont like the all black rifle, jarrett and bansner are over budget. could go with a modified custom based off a rem 700, but i giving hs precision 1st choice now, telon finish wide variety of stock finishes and a .5moa guarantee.

i am looking for a mod wght sporter 24in barrel, blk finish either teflon, cerakote or similar, tan or brown stock. not sure on caliber thinking maybe 300wsm, maybe 7wsm, 7stw, 300 wby not real sure want a rifle that will take anything in na, and plainsgame a rifle that will last me many year to go so im leaning more towards a .30 cal, something pretty fast +3200 with a 150g and around 3000fps with a 180g. i currently have a 7mm wsm browning abolt stainless stalker that i am probably going to pass down to my lil bro, so i want a replacement for it, looking aroun 7lbs for the rifle

what do yall think

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShootOne:
Well, my college days are almost over and my parents wanted to get me something nice, i am thinking hey why not a nice custom rifle, something around 2.5k. What a gift still cant believe it, Just wondering what all is out there. So far i have looked at ed brown nice but dont like the all black rifle, jarrett and bansner are over budget. could go with a modified custom based off a rem 700, but i giving hs precision 1st choice now, telon finish wide variety of stock finishes and a .5moa guarantee.

i am looking for a mod wght sporter 24in barrel, blk finish either teflon, cerakote or similar, tan or brown stock. not sure on caliber thinking maybe 300wsm, maybe 7wsm, 7stw, 300 wby not real sure want a rifle that will take anything in na, and plainsgame a rifle that will last me many year to go so im leaning more towards a .30 cal, something pretty fast +3200 with a 150g and around 3000fps with a 180g. i currently have a 7mm wsm browning abolt stainless stalker that i am probably going to pass down to my lil bro, so i want a replacement for it, looking aroun 7lbs for the rifle

what do yall think
Well if you are talking about $3000 for the rifle plus scope you might want to look at a New Ultra Light Arms. I was just reading about them on 24 Hour Campfire. I think they meet all your requirements except maybe price and some of the ones you are looking at are in that price range. For less than half the cost the Kimber Montana meets most of your requirement. Weatherby has some ultra light models to look at. Nothing for me as I am left-handed.

Posts: 595 | Location: camdenton mo | Registered: 16 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Send a Rem action to Greg Richards in Hobbs, NM. He'll put together whatever you want and is right in your budget.

H-S Prec. is a good choice too.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
ShootOne
For the best dollar value in a custom rifle try to find a used one.
Advantages here are you can usually see and handle the rifle, as well as shoot it. Plus you can save quite a bit of money.

I also must add, take a look at rhe Blaser R 93.
People that have and use them love them.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BHW
posted Hide Post
If you are working on dollars rather than only getting one rifle I would seriously consider the following:

By a QUALITY stock rifle in the make & caliber you want/need/use the most and have it worked on by your local gunsmith to get it performing right for you. Trigger, bedding, porting, etc. whatever.

Then by a TC Encore with a couple barrels and you will have most everything you will ever need, and then some. Can always add to it later.

Probably can do it for under budget and would assume that your parents would be impressed with your financial prouess.

Now if the idea is to blow the money on one rifle and have something that won't shoot significantly better than the quality stock rifle with some tweaking; that is easily accomplished. To accomplish the idea I put forward will be more challenging and possibly more rewarding not to mention more responsible in the eyes of a lot of people. Then again I don't know your situation.

Good luck and just be sure whatever you do you put the thought into the decsion it deserves as your parents are laying out some change.

Posts: 261 | Location: Duncan, SC | Registered: 06 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
First of all buy a nice Schmidt and Bender scope and with the difference buy a rifle in 300 wm.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a Dakota rifle? Pretty nice!!!!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
If you want a good custom rifle for about $2500, one of the top outfits I'd look at is:

http://www.hillcountryrifles.com

Have a 300 Win. Mag. made with Model 700 or Model 70 action, a pillar-bedded McMillan stock, a 24" Hart barrel, black-Teflon the metal, have the stock painted brown, and you'll have a real rifle.

Here's another up-and-coming outfit to consider:

http://www.htcustoms.com

AD

one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
First of all select your caliber, then go and get a new Remington with similar features as you mentioned!
Then take it to a good smith and have him work on the trigger, bed the action etc...

Spend the rest on a good scope!IMHO

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by allen day:
If you want a good custom rifle for about $2500, one of the top outfits I'd look at is:

http://www.hillcountryrifles.com

Have a 300 Win. Mag. made with Model 700 or Model 70 action, a pillar-bedded McMillan stock, a 24" Hart barrel, black-Teflon the metal, have the stock painted brown, and you'll have a real rifle.
AD

Most sensible advice thus far. The .300 Win Mag will provide exactly the ballistics you are after, with easier to find ammunition, components and reloading dies. There is a lot of virtue in choosing a "boring, standard" cartridge - once you get over the gee-whiz feeling that go with newer cartridges.

It is kind of hard to beat the 1/2" guarantee from Hill Country rifles. Alternatively, ADs suggestion for parts to be put together by a top smith are very sensible. I would personally have gone with a Krieger tube and have chosen another colour for the stock, but those are minor details.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes if your leaning towards a 30 cal the .300 win mag or the old 30/06 would both be sensible choices.......for these rounds I would prefer a crf so that leaves mauser, cz's or M70's, have it tuned by a smith and add a scope like the leupold Vari x 111 3.5-10 in warne or talley mounts. I think you would be fine and probably come in under $2500.......maybe, I am not sure.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like 7mmMag or .338Win Mag I made my 7mm Mag and it does .500 at two hundred yards 140 Gr boat tails Imr 4350, same powder for the .338 210 gr Noslers .500 group =200 yards

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would definately consider a ULA model 28s in 300 WSM. It will weigh less than 5 1/2 lbs.

You can choose the paint pattern.

Check out Melvin Forbes web site at http://www.newultralight.com.
I have both the 270 WSM and 300 WSM by ULA. They are very nice. I am waiting on my 6.5/300 WSM to be built.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Get a Weatherby Vanguard in 300 WSM and then send it to Duane Wiebe or Chic Worthing for a custom stock. Top it off with a good Leupold or Bushnell elite and you will end up with one hell of a nice rifle.

You simply cannot buy a new barreled action with hinged bottom metal and an accuracy garantee for less $, and the work of those guys is immaculate. You can do a search in this forum and see some of their work.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually the last rifle I priced from Hill Country Rifles was about $2100 for a m70 or m700 nicely tuned and accurized in a McMillan stock. The only one I've handled personally shot great and functioned perfectly. I'm considering sending them a m70 classic stainless that I'm not quite satisfied with for an overhaul.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SwiftShot
posted Hide Post
I vote for Hill Country. I have not shot one but friends own them and love them.. Thinking about one myself but for the price of accurizing one I might send in a few rifles that I cant get sub 1MOA.

Posts: 433 | Location: Washington state USA  | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
An HS-Precision in 300 Win Mag w/ a 26" tube would be a truely great rifle that would last you a lifetime.

What Optics have you decided to go w/?

A Zeiss Conquest would sure look nice on that rifle Wink.

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shootone

Rich Reilly of High Tech Customs in Colorado Springs would be my choice for a rifle in that price range. I also would pick the 300 Win. Mag. for practicality and overall performance.

Richie has built 4 rifles for me all on different actions and they all shoot extremely well. He likes Lilja barrels and Rimrock stocks. His rifles are always light and handy but you may have to argue with him about a muzzle brake because he loves them.

MARK

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13001 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You want an accurate rifle with a nonreflective finish in a tan or brown stock with a 24" barrel and available in a .30 caliber Magnum?

.300 Winchester Magnum
.300 Winchester Short Magnum
.300 Weatherby Magnum

$800 MSRP

Use the rest on a nice scope and maybe a new set of binocs...

If you really need it in the 7 pound category, they offer a Mark V Ultra Light for about $1700 with the matte finish and tan stock...

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My vote would be for a cheaper rifle - a remington up through a Sako - and a hunting trip.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to; wwwrwhart.com they will make it for you and make it good, had a few made 100% satisfaction. The last one a 700 7mmwsm shot 1/2 with factory ammo,

Posts: 38 | Location: Ottawa canada | Registered: 04 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also vote for Hill Country. I have three of their rifles, two rebarrels and a complete custom with Fajen (when they were really in business)XF english walnut. They are the best people I have dealt with. Give them a call and you will be impressed.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with the rifle that fits you the best. Try them out. Pay attention to the stock dimensions. Especially if you're planning on a semi custom. Then pick the round based on what that rifle is available in. 300 WSM, 300 Win, 300 Weatherby all sound like the go to cartridges. The actual cartridge doesn't matter that much, there are plenty that will do what you are asking. Did I mention to make sure the rifle fits YOU!! Then buy the best possible scope you can afford with what's left over.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ounds to me like you know a lot about whats out there for "custom guns". There is some good advice here from others as well. There is a good article in current Guns & Ammo by Bodington re fine accuracy in custom, semi custom and factory rifles. I always figured if I had a custom rifle built I would go to an "unusual" or "uncommon" cartridge. Like the .308 Norma Mag. or .350 rem mag. Or the great but under rated .280 Rem. Or for a "lighter" round, a 7X57 or 6.5X55.

Robin

Posts: 265 | Location: Rocky Mtn. Hse., Alberta | Registered: 09 September 2005Reply With Quote