THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Successful moose hunt and bullet recovered

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Successful moose hunt and bullet recovered
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got back Friday from our hunt in Geraldton, Ontario, and it was an unqualified success (despite some early setbacks).

My 21 year old son, on his first moose hunt, saw a cow and calf cross the river within 100 yards of him, 10 min. before daybreak opening morning. Even though he couldn't shoot, between that and the bald eagle, and the otters playing at the edge of the water, where his stand was, it was an unforgettable experience for him. He said it was like "Being at the beginning of the earth."

We harvested a young, 34" bull, and even though we had plenty of meat for the five of us, we decided to go back out and let one of the others try to take a cow or calf, since we had tags for it, and the bull shooter [Wink] had also taken our moose last year. We had a cow tag, but agreed that if we saw a lone cow, we'd take her, but if she had a calf, we'd take the calf only, as we didn't want to have to shoot them both.

I was sitting on the same point as my buddy who'd shot the bull, and had to go check the bay on the other side every 20 min. or so, since it was a feeding area, and they could show up anytime. About 6:25 PM, I had just come back to my spot after checking the bay, when I looked to my left and thought "That looks like a moose". Sure enough, it was a cow. I waited a few minutes, and the calf walked out about 20 feet behind her, quartering slightly toward me.

I took a good rest and prepared to shoot the calf. Unknown to me, one of my party, who was about 500 yards across the bay, had seen the cow, but because of the angle, couldn't see the calf. He was just getting ready to pull the trigger on the cow, when I shot the calf. (Thank Heaven he didn't shoot - I don't know how we'd have dealt with three moose for five guys!!)

I had taken a knee and steadied my Rem. 721 in 300 H&H. I squeezed off the first shot, and waited for some reaction from the calf. Nothing. Did I miss? The calf walked up beside the mother, obstructing my second shot, so I waited, and it turned and walked back to the same spot as my first shot, facing the other way. Again, I took a good rest, let out a slow breath, and squeezed the trigger. Again, no reaction!! Just as I had jacked in a third shell, and was preparing to "miss" for the third time, I saw the calf stumble, then go down. Relief and elation!!

When I arrived at the spot (210 yards, measured by GPS), I found a 10' X 10' area splattered with blood and lung tissue. I later found out that this was from the first shot. Jeez, can these animals absorb lead!!!

When we gutted and skinned the calf, I found my first shot had gone in just in front of the right shoulder, exiting about the 5th rib from the back. It had destroyed the lungs, but didn't hit the heart.

The second shot was from the opposite side, about 2 ribs back of the exit wound of the first shot, and had blown the liver to bits, with the bullet lodging in the skin on the far side. Both were kill shots, but the calf showed no immediate effect from either!

Sorry, but the pics of the bull and calf didn't come out (cheap digital camera and pitch dark). However, I got a half decent pic of the bullet with our digital camera at work.

I've only had this rifle a short time, and haven't had a chance to reload for it, so this bullet is a Remington 180 gr. Core-Lokt factory load (300 H&H magnum). As well, all my reloading stuff is packed up for my move next weekend, so couldn't weigh it. I'd estimate that it's still about 110-125 gr. I'll know more in a couple weeks, when I get unpacked.

Anyway, the core didn't separate, it mushroomed nicely, and the petals peeled the way they were supposed to. Of course, it's not a premium bullet, but for me, it did the job, as needed.

-

[ 10-20-2003, 22:29: Message edited by: Fischer ]

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Double post

[ 10-20-2003, 22:26: Message edited by: Fischer ]

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Proof once again that you don't always need a premium bullet.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fischer,
Nice story. I do not recall having any problems with Core-lokt.
Good eat'n,

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
=\ How about some moose pics Pretty PLEASE!!! ^_^ man ive been wanting to take a moose sence i was like 5-6 and ive decided on the place i wanna take it..... Kamecutka!! with a Brown Bear Combo ^_^

Posts: 174 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2002Reply With Quote