New
Find
Notify
Tools

Partition Gold Vs. Partition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone seen any actual improvement with the new design?

<Lars G>
posted
Check the thread called bullet construction. I will be giving the "gold" a try this coming season. Lars

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Sakoluver - I have extensively used the non-moly Partition Golds. I have shot plenty of African heads and well as local deer with the bullet. I started out with the moly coated because this was the only way to get them. I was not real happy with the moly bullets. Accuracy was not what I wanted. As soon as the non-coated bullets became available, I worked up loads for them. I was very please with the accuracy results.

My motivation for using the Golds was my desire for a tougher bullet. I switched to the Golds in my 7mm Dakota and my .330 Dakota. I was concerned about the high impact velocities that these cartridges can generate. The Golds have performed extreamly well in the field and are as accurate as the standard Partition. I still use the standard Partitions in my 7mmRem and .338Win.

Note - The Golds are longer than the standard Partition. You will lose some case capacity and you may see some variations in velocity. At more traditional velocities, the Partition is plenty bullet for small to medium sized game. For big game and higher velocities, the Golds are difficult to beat.

For what cartridge were you considering using the Golds?

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting some in my .300 Win. Mag.
I have been shooting 80 Grains RL25 with 180 moly free and getting about 3175 fps out of a 25" Pac Nor Barrel. Groups are around an inch.
Have you seen any better terminal performance over the conventional partition. The Moly frees are just a few cent per box higher.
These didn't cost me anything though, John Nosler III gave them to me at last years SHOT Show to try.

<Bill>
posted
I have had nothing but bad luck with the coated Partition Golds. I will give them all to a freind one day.

The noncoated ones seem to shoot better, though I have never shot anything with them.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

Save a plant, shoot a deer!

<phurley>
posted
I used the 250 gr. Partition Gold Moly coated bullet in my .340 Wby on an Alaskan Moose hunt in 1999. I shot over 400 rounds and worked up a load that would give one hole groups on a good day from my end. That same year I took an nice 5 point Bull Elk and a 5 poing Mule Deer with the same load. What I found is it took me longer to get the load down but once I got it I had a consistent shooting load. It took me more shots to foul the barrel, 6-8 as compared to 1-2 for the regular non-coated Partition. I now shoot a North Fork through that rifle, it is much easier to get the pin point accuracy with. Good luck and good shooting.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Hurley, I would like to know more about the North Fork Bullet.
How are they constructed?
Do they have a website?
Any other info would be appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Northfork is a partition with the front lead soldered to the core..It has friction rings in the rear and a solid back half...they are one of the best bullets that I have ever used. 307-436-5780 Mike Brady, Box 1689, Glenrock, Wy. 82637, USA

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Sakoluver -- Ray told you all the important info on North Fork bullets, as to phone number and address, they don't have a Web site as far as I know, yet. I also shoot them through my .358 STA. Every size North Fork I have shot so far have performed amazingly as far as accuracy is concerned. I also put all my bullets through a toughness test that involves layers of wet paper and plastic cover notebooks and Bison Bones. They act like a Partition Gold on the front end, that is a little tougher than the regular Partition, and a Barnes X on the back end. The grooved rear portion seats neatly and presents only half as much surface to foul the barrel. I am looking forward to a 270 gr. .358 bullet they are working on. I have shot Partitions and Golds, Barnes, Kodiak, Swift A-Frames, all the non-premiums, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, and these North Forks take the prize so far. I fireform my .358 STA with Sierra and they are extremely good accuracy wise, then the North Forks beat them. Good shooting.

------------------

<Harald>
posted
The North Fork bullets are superb. In my tests they outperform (to my satisfaction) both styles of same weight (160 gr) 7 mm Partition bullets. As far as the Partition Gold design is concerned I think it may well be an improvement for the smaller calibers (.308 down). In the larger calibers I think the original style is an excellent bullet. The mushroom hardens into a nice broad form and they still penetrate very well. The smaller bore versions may make a narrower hole than they have to. On the other hand its nice to have a bullet option that will give maximum penetration. I should also add that there is some concern in my mind about what the upset velocity will be for a Partition Gold. For an original Partition its around 1900 fps, but the Golds are probably upset at closer to 2100 fps. I have not tested this premise and I am sure it varies by bullet design.

[This message has been edited by Harald (edited 01-19-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the Northfork a" if you have to ask the price you can't afford it" bullet?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what's the cost on them, compared to say, a box of Swift A frames?

------------------
God Bless and Shoot Straight

Posts: 264 | Location: Big Sky Country, MT | Registered: 12 October 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
The North Fork .358's that I use are $43.00 per 50, the .338's a dollar or two cheaper. This is comparable to the Swift A-Frames and Barnes, a little higher than the Nosler's, considerably cheaper then the GS's. Good shooting.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a wealth of info on this board and I would like to thank everyone for their replies.