THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: at what altitude does air get "thin"...

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: at what altitude does air get "thin"...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
I grew up at 5200 feet and then moved to live at 6200 feet. At that point in my life and thru my 20s 8-9000 feet impacted my breathing somewhat.

I then moved to an area at 750 feet elevation and afer living here for 30 years, I find any elevation above the couch might wind me somewhat!

LouisB

Seriously you will likely feel the effects, but at a hunting pace it will be minimal. After bagging something the exertion should be controlled to prevent getting so winded you can't talk.

WATER, WATER, WATER you will expend much more water without noticing it. Be sure to increase your normal intake a little or a LOT. Boil or filter all "natural water". A lttle giardia goes a very LONG way!

Good luck and A GREAT hunt to ya!

Posts: 4260 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on your age. As I get older, the air seems to be getting thinner.

Posts: 97 | Location: Pocatello, ID | Registered: 24 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been in some high places; 14,000 feet you can feel, but there is a bigger difference between 19,000 and 14,000 than 14,000 and sealevel.

I think a lot of it depends on one's condition. Also, if you have spent a lot of time at high altitude in the past, I think it is a bit easier.

The biggest problem with mountain hunting in my opinion is the wear and tear on your feet. Getting in shape (hopefully you don't "get" you "maintain") is the easy part; toughening up your feet is harder.

Posts: 7577 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote