THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Can anyone tell me about Triple Shocks.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Can anyone tell me about Triple Shocks.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted
Quote:

Doc, did you chronograph those loads?? In particular the .30-06/168 grs load?? What is your barrel length??
- mike

Unfortunately, I only recently bought a chronograph. After years of reloading and some how managing to actually kill game with my loads, my curiosity got the best of me and I figured I should see just how fast these bullets are going. Not that I care, but, I feel like I'm lacking in the 'reloading' dept. with my peers since most everyone tends to chrono their loads. I've just never seen the need.

I never really understood why chronographing bullet speed was so important. Still not sure I do as I still seem to be able to hit my quarry and kill them. After all, if it groups good and stays grouping good, and you practice to 400 yards, why does knowing the speed matter?

To answer your question, I did not chrono those loads, but my barrel is 22" long.

I plan on playing with all of my rifles and the chrono as soon as deer season is over to satisfy my curiosity.

I've been reloading since about 1990 and bought my first chrono last year. I figured that since a HUGE number of hunters buy factory ammo and just go sight it, I could do the same thing. They never chronograph their factory ammo, at least all the hunters I see at the various ranges anyway.

But I've always worked hard to tighten up groups and shoot them to see what the trajectories were at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards. I guess I've seen a chronograph as just one more thing I have to bring to the range and set up and thus far, I still cannot justify why I even bought it other than to satisfy my curiosity of bullet speed. Perhaps I'm missing a bigger picture somewhere. But I'm sure if all the game heads in my and my fathers house could talk, they'd say that the bullet was going fast enough to kill them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Doc, I appreciate not having chrono'ed your loads until recently, and not having got round to measure this particular load, since you acquired your new toy. I also feel that chrographing is on the edge of wasting valuable range time (limited for me), and that I might be better off spending my time practicing my (inadequate) shooting skills. Still, being able to chronograph a (hunting) load can be an important part in estimating whether your pressures are too high, and it also forms the basis for any trajectory estimates (I avoid the word "calculation" on purpose). Besides, being "anal" about all these things is a big part of the fun...

Thanks for the feedback - mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote