Find
Notify
Tools

Results with Tipped TSX?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
There have been a few threads referencing problems with Barnes TSX. While I have been using Barnes for about 20 years and have never experienced any failures some folks have had problems with bullets not expanding.
Does anyone have any results with the Tipped TSX on game? Maybe they are Barnes way of "fixing" the non opening of petals that some folks seem to have experienced on the smaller calibers?

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Been using them since they came out a few years ago. My sons and I have taken elk, mule deer and antelope with no failures. Everything seems to die rather quickly after being struck by one of them, and they've always gave total penetration, even on the 2 elk. We like 'em!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Used the ttsx last year on a mulie buck in New Mexico. Good hit on the first shot at about 180 yds, dropped at the second. Recovered neither bullet.

I like the Barnes bullet and use it almost exclusively. Last years bull moose fell at the shot with a tsx. Its accurate, retains weight and looks more neat-o in the magazine than the standard copper jacket lead core bullet.

Posts: 9141 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Been using the TSX for as long as I can remember. Used the new TTSX last year on Leopard, Zebra, Cape Buffalo, and Baboon x2. The real soft target of these is obviously the cat. Shot the Leopard at 32 yards with a 180gr TTSX from a 300H&H. Exit hole was about the size of a dime. The cat fell out of the tree like a sack of potatoes and was found dead under the tree. All the other animals died within sight of being shot.

Used the same 180gr TTSX from the same rifle on a Whitetail buck last November. He fell in his tracks, blowing blood and chunks of lungs all over the bush behind him. DRT!

In my opinion, excellent results just as I had expected.

One of Us
Picture of twoseventy
posted Hide Post
I have had three bullet failures with Barnes tsx out of twelve shots. I stopped using them until the tipped version came out. One deer and one sheep with them and no problems but two is a small sample size. They shot very well in my sheep rifle so tried them again. I hope to continue to bat a thousand with them.

Tom

...I say that hunters go into Paradise when they die, and live in this world more joyfully than any other men.
-Edward, duke of York

". . . when a man has shot an elephant his life is full." ~John Alfred Jordan

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero - 55 BC

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

Cogito ergo venor- KPete

“It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker, that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own self-interest. We address ourselves, not to their humanity but to their self-love, and never talk to them of our own necessities but of their advantages.”
― Adam Smith - “Wealth of Nations”

Posts: 985 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tried to post a response to this earlier, but my computer took a dump, so I will try again.

I am not sure why Barnes came up with the Tipped TSX, To solve problems with the TSX, to get a better B.C., to get a new market for their bullets, ??? Who knows for sure.

However, the tipped version of the TSX is certainly becoming popular. Most people feel they are an improvement over the TSX. They sure claim much better B.C. values for them.
I am considering switching from the 160 TSX to the 150 Tipped TSX in my 7mm Weatherby Mag for just that reason.

Having said that, I have seen nothing but great performance in cartridges from the 243 Winchester to the 25-06 to the 257 Wby Mag, to the 270 WSM, etc with the Tipped version of the TSX bullets.

My buddies and I have shot mule deer, antelope, wild hogs, coyotes, etc. with the Tipped TSX bullets with complete satisfaction.

R Flowers

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I was guiding pretty hot and heavy year 'round at the beginning of the X bullets. Over the years tons of clients have brought them, and since the non-lead rule a few years ago, at least 95% of my clients have brought Barnes bullets. Back when they first came out we were taking between 100 and 200 pigs and deer every year. That said, I've never seen any of the Barnes rifle bullets fail to expand (except solids obviously). The exit hole isn't always huge and I'd like to see a bit more of a blood trail on some of the animals, but there is nearly always two blood trails (full penetration). So you've got twice the opportunity to see blood on one side of the trail or the other. And the penetration is typically quite straight, penetrating in the direction the shooter intended.

The retained weight is unprecedented. Unless you're shooting an extreme speed demon at close range... its rare to lose more than one petal. And even with a petal missing they usually weigh more than most expanded lead core bullets.

On the flip side - on at least one occasion I've seen every major manufacture (non-premium) bullet over expand and then fail to penetrate fully into the vitals on an odd angle. I'll choose a bit less of a blood trail and full penetration every time over the lack of penetration once-in-a-while.

I don't have nearly as much experience with the tipped version, but I've heard nothing but good things and the limited times I have used them and seen them used they seemed to work just as well or better than the non-tipped version.

Now their pistol bullets are another story... I'm not a fan. Hopefully a tipped version or some other design will come along to fix them.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
They are the best. I use the TTSX out of a .338 and I shoot a lot of range and they are perfect.Have harvested a lot of game with them--bear, elk, etc and they drop the game. I would never use anything but them and I have tried all the others but TTSX group the best... tu2

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All positive.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of .243, .270, 30'06 and 300 H&H they've been great on whitetails, mule deer antelope and elk. Pretty much what the kids and I load for all our hunting rounds.Great accuracy as well.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great results from both the regular TSX and the tipped (TTSX).
The tip was added primarily as a marketing tool, and also increased the BC. I use the straight TSX in heavy for caliber loads, and the TTSX in mid wieght to light weight loads primarily to increase BC. I have over 20 kills with the TTSX and several hundred with the TSX.
Results have been wonderful and interchangeable with both styles. I choose the variety that works best with the chosen load and don't look back. I have used TSX bullets from .243 up to .416, with most in the 30 cal range.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Switched over to them even though never had a failure with the TSX's. TTSX's are very accurate from my rifles, and quickly drop anything they have hit.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. --- Greek Proverb

Posts: 714 | Location: Sorexcuse, NY | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had great success with the 250 gr. .375 TTSX on multiple African species, as well as red stag and elk. All one shot kills. All pass throughs, except one with 95% weight retention. Bottomline - accurate and devastating. AIU

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackley Improved User:
I've had great success with the 250 gr. .375 TTSX on multiple African species, as well as red stag and elk. All one shot kills. All pass throughs, except one with 95% weight retention. Bottomline - accurate and devastating. AIU

I'm switching to those as well. Much better BC than the 235's.
My only experience with Barnes is 308cal and 375. Seems like anyone who had a problem was in the smaller calibers.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
TTSX is one of the best bullets for hunting on the planet. Never had less than 100% success and DRT shots. I'll also say I've had same results with TSX so I have about 50/50 blend on the load bench in all of my calibers.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
I shot an elk last fall with a 180 gr TTSX at about 30 yards and it acted like a solid on a perfect broadside lung shot. This was from a 300 WSM at about 3080 fps muzzle velocity.

I had used the same load in Africa earlier on reedbuck, 2 hyena and klipspringer with proper expansion and all DRT.

If I remember correctly it was between ribs which probably had something to do with not opening up. The elk needed followup shots and showed no reaction to the initial shot.

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I shot an elk last fall with a 180 gr TTSX at about 30 yards and it acted like a solid on a perfect broadside lung shot. This was from a 300 WSM at about 3080 fps muzzle velocity.

Maybe blew the petals off at that impact velocity and it was a solid?
I had a similar experience on an elk with a Barnes X several years ago out of my 300RUM. He ran about 50 yards but slowed up enough for me to finish him. Sometimes I think the RUM is too much of a good thing Big Grin

Have gun- Will travel

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've had equal good luck with lung and shoulder shots with the TTSX, but I think they perform best when punching the shoulder. No worries with f/u shots in my experience.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a small bull moose at 125yards with a 168gr TTSX from my 18" short barreled (moderated) 308. Shot about the shoulder, double lung, no heart, big sound of strike, bull made 50yards and died pretty quickly. MV only 2,525fps.

Expansion looked to be quite limited. Given I want to be able to shoot out to 225yards I'm going with something a bit softer next time (partition) and will be using the TTSXs in my 06.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used X-bullets (with and without the plastic tip) exclusively in all my rifles when hunting for the last five years, as have my sons. We have taken numerous deer and pronghorn with factory-loaded .270 and .30-06, as well as a cow elk with a .300 WSM. All except one dropped within 30 yds. (The muley that did not ran for a mile, but that was because of a poor hit-- no fault of the bullet.) I have used factory-loaded .375 H&H on two African trips and taken about a dozen animals ranging from implala and warthog up to two eland. I never had a problem with the bullet expanding, except for one that hit an eland. The bullet did not fully expand, but that was because it hit a twig before it hit the animal. You could tell by the entry hole that it tumbled its way into the eland (which is probably why it was recovered.)
I don't plan on ever using anything else.

Posts: 567 | Location: southern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 08 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I had great results out of the 250 gr ones in my .375 on PG this year. All one shot kills, DRT with the exception of a poor shot on a cull wildebeest that was not the fault of the bullet.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Super bullet and moving loads to them ASAP when I need new ammo. 210TTSX and 338-06 had seven one= shot kills in Africa from Bushpig to Zebra, to sable to wildebeeste, to waterbuck and two impala. Recovered one from sable and it was perfect mushroom. Also took 330 class elk with the 168 gr in 300 Wby. Elk feeding with head down at 75 yards in fading light. Elk fell dead at the shot and my guide said "where did he go?" I noticed when we got back to his house he grabbed his Cabelas catalog and ordered some for his Wby! Accuracy great in several calibers from 25-338.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote