Find
Notify
Tools

Re: hunting deer with a .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
JD,

your spot on and thats exactly why we have cartridges that progressivly inccrease in power. Why use a varmint cartridge for large game ?? when you have far better options. For stuff like roo's small deer etc. I would start at the 6.5x55. I mean how often are you presented with the oppurtunity for a perfect shot, 6.5mm 120-140 gr bullet would be adequate to get decent penetration to the vitals on animals like we are talking about from any angle, not so with varmint cartridges.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used one, but the blood trail was non-existant and the deer ran a long ways. Sure it will work, but I just don't want to limit myself when there are so many better choices out there.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC: IMHO the only time 22 cal should be used for deer sized animals is when the shooter can't handle anymore recoil. My wife was flinching really bad in 2002 after shooting hundreds of full power loads in her 30-06 just before deer season(rifle weighs 6 lbs). I got her to take the 22-250 instead because I knew she wouldn't flinch with it. She shot her biggest buck ever, estimate him at 275-300lbs. She said she shot, and there was no reaction, so she shot again and the Buck went down.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general,

Do you use a 223 for deer because it is the only rifle you own? Is the cost of ammunition a constraint?

EKM

Posts: 289 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: 16 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see Nosler add a 69gr, or even better a 75gr Partition or Accubond to their lineup. That would give those of us with rifles of 1-8" and 1-7" twist a really effective bullet for deer.

Wouldn't a bullet like that in .223 or even better 22-250 with a fast twist make a great youth's deer rifle? Of course, shot angle would still be a limiting factor.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Never with a .223, but I've taken 2 bucks and 2 does with the 22-250. I will NEVER do it again.

One of the bucks was a big bodied 10 point northern Missouri buck (160 1/8 B&C). I shot him head on in the chest at 15 yards. He ran about 30 yards before he went down. I had to stand over him and fire two more shots with 60gr bullets from the 22-250. Five minutes later, when I was attending to the other deer I shot, that buck was trying to stand up!

Never again. A deer is far too majestic of an animal to suffer like that, when there are so many real deer cartridges around.

I'm sure that the .223 has taken a lot of deer over the years, but you won't see one in my hands during deer season.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
223? No. BUT, I have shot a few with a 222 Mag, which for all intents and purposes is just about the same.

After reading a bunch of "it's fine" stories (a lot on here), I used it after loading up some heavier loads.

I used Speer 63 grain bullets, and took nothing but very high percentage, rested, deer-standing-still, shots. They all hit heart and/or lungs.

Every deer ran, and the blood trail was less-than-desirable (or non-existent).

Long story short, I used it on that one hunt, and took a few deer. I won't be doing it again.

It may work for some, but after that week of hunting, in my mind at least, I can't continue to use it comfortably.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .223 is a great cartridge for young beginning deer hunters. It has long been proven to be quite deadly with broadside shot placement and that with even the 55 grain varmint bullets. Now understand that there are now fully deer-rated bullets for the .22 centerfires like the 55 grain partitions and bearclaws and my favorites the 64 grain win. power-points that penetrate very well. So use the actual deer rated bullets. The drawbacks are more bloodshot meat from the explosive effects of these light bullets and blood trails can be very disapointing at times when the thick stuff is just a couple bounds away. Having said that, the best blood trail I've ever had was with a .223 on a 200 pound boar hog that produced a heavy eightteen inch wide crimson trail for a stepped off 150 yards and that could be easily seen peering well ahead through the brush. At the end of it was a bloody thrashed area as big as a bed room but no blood trail leading off. This hog was completely out of blood but was found just ten yards further on behind a tree. I highly reccomend the .223 for young hunters and the recoil shy adults, they can always graduate to heavior calibers later on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with the post that ask: is it your only rifle? Can you not afford other ammo?

When I hear it referred to as a "youth" deer rifle, I can only bring to mind the old fart (my age) in the general store bragging that his grandson had killed his first deer this year. Using a .223. "Hee Hee, he must of shot at 15 or more before he got one down, he said." I thought it was pretty disgusting. What exactly is he teaching this kid?

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the late 1960's I tried a .220 Swift on blacktailed deer with WAY less than acceptable results. I see no reason to try a less powerful .22 centerfire when the Swift didn't work on deer in the 150 lb. class. In my opinion the states that outlaw the use of any .22 centerfire are correct to do so, 6mm or larger ONLY. All the other states should follow their lead. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was glad when a friend gave in to a larger round. However he was not a pick your best shot type of person. To many people around here just start blasting. Yes they now their target but running deer and .223's go together like choclate
and mustard. It will work, but there is better.

Posts: 48 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 22 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beemanheme, I think the grandad was referring to the kid not being able to hit a deer......at least in a vital area. He is either a bad shot or totally full of buck fevor which translates to bad shooting. Thrust me, it wasn't because the .223 was not effective because it is!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why on earth would someone use such a marginal round on game?

There is a reason why it's illegal to shoot deer with it in Kansas and several other states. To keep fools from attempting stunts on live animals.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Uh Leo, that was my point exactly..... in a vital area. How many did he hit around the edges? In the hands of a practiced, careful hunter the .223 would be adequate but certainly not something I would put in the hands of a first time deer hunter. In fact, when you factor in the "practiced, careful" part of the statement, a whole hell of a lot of "experienced" hunters would be left out.
I knew a LOL (little old lady) in Tenn. Each fall she would take her single shot .22 in one hand and her cane in the other. She would go down to the orchard and kill a deer. Then she would come back and use her riding lawn mower to drag the deer to the house. Does that make the .22 an effective, adequate deer cartridge?
If a kid is big enough to deer hunt, he's big enough to shoot a .260 or 7-08. Even a pissy little .243 would be a better choice than a .223.
Yes, it does embarrass me that they are legal in West Virginia.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
this reply is not to offend anyone BUT!

I have more kills with a .223 than any other cartridge (other than 22lr or 12ga). But they were all Vietnamese not game animals.
We absolutely despised the .223 as a combat round- and the M-16! Give me back my M-14- thank you very much...
We got to shoot a 55grn-22s at 3300fps and they got to shoot a 125g-30cal at 2400 at us. What would you rather shoot inside 200yds! Most kills were multiple hits of FMJ.

Growing up, my first deer rifle was a 250/3000Savage. I shot my first small 6pt with it when I was 7. I never felt any recoil. I never do when I'm hunting. The only time I ever notice recoil is with heavier bullets in heavier calibers sighting in at the range.

I think the 223 is a great SMALL game round inside 300yds.
from prairie dogs, small hogs, bobcats, to even mountain lions. I would agree that with small hill country whitetails, with broadsides in &or around 100yds and with good shot placement and a decent hunting bullet it should be a fine deer round. All within it's limitations.

I wish I had had my 250Savage with 100grns in Nam instead of my piece of junk M-16 with 55grn prairie dog bullets.

used to be Sgt.Krohn

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Beemanheme, I think the grandad was referring to the kid not being able to hit a deer......at least in a vital area.

After personally shooting deer with the 222 Mag mentioned above, and finding zero blood even with heart & lung shots, I wonder if the kid didn't actually hit some of them & never know it. Old Gramps walks over, looks around, no blood.... "Looks like ya missed kid, let's go shoot another one!"

I can't believe anybody could COMPLETELY miss 15 deer, no matter how bad a shot or how bad the buck fever. I'd bet a few of those deer took hits & were just never recovered.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My take is that while the .223 will do the job, the margin of error is razor thin. You owe it to the game to use enough gun. I have shot two deer with the .223 and once it did an adequate job, the second time took two shots and I was lucky. That being said, I will never use it on deer again. The .223 is a wonderful caliber and definitely has a place in my gun cabinet. But it is not a big game caliber and all the BS stacked from here to there wont make it one.

swede

Posts: 44 | Location: North Central ND | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

My take is that while the .223 will do the job, the margin of error is razor thin.

Excellent way to put it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
.22 caliber is illegal for deer hunting in NC.

I'm more of a fan of a .243 anyway. I think its a great round, but maybe it recoils too much (but I wouldn't think so). You can also easily buy off the shelf deer hunting ammo.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've seen deer run a couple hundred yards with a well placed .30-06....I've seen deer drop in their tracks with a well placed .222.....

I'm now building a .260 Remington.....just for that purpose.....hunting deer....

The controversy will continue into the next generation.....and lucky they are!!!!!

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote