posted
Game goes lethal
Don't like firing tranquilizers in hunt contest? OK, shoot to kill

GENESEE COUNTY
THE FLINT JOURNAL FIRST EDITION
Thursday, August 24, 2006

By Elizabeth Shaw
eshaw@flintjournal.com • 810.766.6311

Will a clean kill, not a tranquilizer dart, make tournament hunting more appealing to hunters?

Nonhunters may scratch their heads over why a dead deer is better than a drugged deer.

But World Hunting Association organizers are hoping a switch from tranquilizers to bullets and arrows will ease criticism of what's being billed as the first-ever professional hunting tournament, set to open this fall at Lost Arrow, a 1,000-acre game ranch near Gladwin.

Earlier this summer, WHA officials were braced for heat from animal rights activists when they announced the launch of a new multimedia sport in which bow and rifle hunters would compete for cash prizes shooting deer with nonlethal tranquilizer darts at a game ranch, where the animals are fenced in.

Instead, the news brought an angry backlash from an unexpected corner: traditional hunters.

Internet bulletin boards flooded with hunters who felt the concept violated the ethics of "fair chase" and sportsmanship. Local companies were bombarded by customers threatening boycotts if they sponsored the event.

The "shoot-and-release" format was roundly condemned as cruel by such groups as the National Shooting Sports Foundation and the Quality Deer Management Association. Many deemed "mock hunting" offensive to the spirit of hunting as a tool for food harvest and wildlife management.

Much of the initial fervor has died down, but three months later, the WHA still is working to turn the tide back in its favor.

"Frankly, I'm a little surprised at the uproar. They tranquilize a lot of animals in Africa that are scored for the record books and released," said Paradice Hunt Club manager Doug Roberts, who raises deer at a Davison Township farm for Paradice, a popular West Branch hunting ranch.

"To be honest, a lot of it's probably jealousy that we (in the hunting industry) didn't think of (competitive hunting) firstStill, Roberts admitted he was a little concerned by the original nonlethal format, where darted animals would be captured, scored, medically monitored and released.

"We've darted for years for medical purposes, and there are still some dangers of a wounded or groggy animal getting away," he said. "With all the new drugs and equipment, it's pretty minimal if you know what you're doing. But hunters really have to know that gun very, very well for it to be successful."

Roberts said he thinks the change to traditional hunting methods "will make all the difference."

Still, the overhauled design seems to be getting a lukewarm greeting.

"They seem like decent enough guys, but I've got to admit the whole concept of hunting as a competitive, money-making sport is still pretty distasteful to me," said Tom Wright, co-owner of Williams Gun Sight & Outfitters in Davison Township, who met WHA representatives at a recent Safari Club International fundraiser in Livonia.

"We hunt because it's our heritage. We love the animals and do everything we can to promote and protect them and their habitat. To go out and shoot them to win money is just very distasteful."

Said Jim Miller, president of the local National Wild Turkey Federation: "I guess it's really not much different than tournament fishing. But to me, hunting is a personal thing, just you and nature.

"It's still trying to turn hunting into a competitive thing, and it's anything but that."

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9502 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Tournament hunting" is to hunting what "Tournament plastic surgery" is to cosmetic surgery.

I suppose there's an ass for every seat.

analog_peninsula

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
"It's still trying to turn hunting into a competitive thing, and it's anything but that."
Neither was fishing until BASSMASTERS came along.

There are hunting contests all over the television right now. The WHA sure isn't the first and won't be the last.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thing hunting is one of the greatest competitions that there is. A man goes into an environment where he is the underdog and tries to win against nature. The competition should never be hunter against hunter because every animal that is taken honestly and ethical is a trophy regardless of the size of animal. Let B&C or P&Y sort out the winners not some televised slaughter of game animals that are confined by fences.

Darting endangered species is a great way to generate money for their protection. SCI and other organizations that allow the trophies to be scored are doing a great job of promoting conservation of the species. I see nothing wrong with this method of hunting or record keeping.

Hunting baited animals in a high fenced ranch has alway seemed a questionable practice to me. After hunting pigs this way I can say that I prefer the fair chase method of hunting. It felt more like killing than hunting to me.