New
Find
Notify
Tools

any one use hornady stuff?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hey got my new 300 win mag and shot some fantastic groups on sat. (you have to love rem 700's).anyway i was using hornady heavy magnums 180 grain. shot several groups well under an inch. my question is how are hornady interlock bullets at penetration? i hve always used nosler partitions and had great luck . am i ok, or should i work up some loads with a part. or equivilant. i am actually kind of excited that they shot so well. i have never had big game rifles get under an inch with factory fodder. any personal field tests out there?

Posts: 485 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 17 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the Hornady interlocks, but Federal loads the High Energy line (same as Horn. heavy mag) with patitions, woodleighs and bear claws.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
<MFH>
posted
I've shot some of the HE 3006 180's into hard magazines and they tended to break up and shed jackets. However, I have seen the same load penetrate cow elk in the chest and exit the rear quarters with no evidence of fragmentation.

MFH

<Rockhammer>
posted
I haven't hunted everything between the right side and the left side of these United States just yet but that which I have (Deer & Elk + coyotes, pigs, cats etc.)have been stopped and "harvested" very effectively with Mr. Joyce Hornady's .270 and .308 interlock spire-points. They work!

[This message has been edited by Rockhammer (edited 04-17-2001).]

posted Hide Post
I have always found Hornady bullets to be rather annoying, in that they perform so darn well they create doubts in my mind about spending more for the super premiums!
Hornady bullets are about the best "non premiums" out there and always have been.

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 04-17-2001).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot them from .243 to .458. Ground Hogs to wild hogs. They have always done well for me. The only time I use a heaver constructed bullet is if I feel the need to shoot thru more than 30" of animal.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sort of agree with Nickudu, in that Hornady's perform so well, I don't buy much else.

I don't shoot them into hard magazines to test them, but shoot them into live game to test.

------------------
May I be half the man my dog thinks I am.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My comments are an almost exact match to Nickudu's. I have used most all the super premiums and have found the hornadys perform just as good in 99% of the situations. I find it hard to justify 3 times the cost for the "better" bullets!

Posts: 597 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
<1LoneWolf>
posted
Hornady is a great hunting bullet. The Interlock does the trick time and again. I don't know what they will do at the new velocity of the RUMs and STWs, but they work great from a 300 Winnie.

We did test last year and it wasn't until we got real carried away with rubber mudflaps for skin and plex glass for bone that the premiums took over and beat the Hornady. They left the Sierras way behind. I mean we were really thick. African game thick, then the Barnes and the failsafes did the penetration thing much better. But for anything walking around in the lower 48, with the right caliber the Hornady will do it for you.

------------------
Live Free! Madison, Jefferson and all the boys paid for it, and so did our very own fathers.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
I've always used Hornadys exclusively. Never had one fail here in the US on practically every species except the sheep and the big bears. I was all set to take them to Africa, but I was convinced --by individuals much more knowledgeable and experienced that I-- to switch to the premiums for Africa.
There is a lot of merit to their argument, that Africa is a long way and expensive to risk fsilure, een if the percentage is low. I plan to also take some hornadys and I'll let you folks know how their fared against A Frames and Xs. jorge

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit using Hornadys because there were too many instances where they did not expand.

For hunting, I use Nosler, Sierra, Speer.

Hornadys are my plinking loads.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Mats>
posted
Hornady's 6.5 mm/.264" 129 gr InterLock is a really accurate bullet. Haven't tested it on game, but it kills small paper targets reliably out to 3-400 meters/yards.

-- Mats

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hornady Interlok's = premium performance at a non-premium cost.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
18 years old

Dang Mike

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
18 years old

Dang Mike

Yea really Mike! Anyway, that's all I reload with in 3 different calibers (.243, 25-06, and 30-06) with great accuracy and terminal performance in all 3.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I did early in my reloading/hand loading days, but I had too many incidents when even though the animal went down on the spot, upon looking at the bullets effects the bullet had basically disintegrated.

Even though the bullet did what it was supposed to and made the kill, I simply wanted sometning better.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
They were my favorite till I had to switch to lead free. Now that I am in Idaho, I will likely switch back.

Regarding the 18 year old post, was just feeling nostalgic Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Hornady I-locks also, they are my 'compare to' bullets.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:

That is what I always saw about Remmington Cor loct bullets.

I like the Hornady Interlok but I have had some odd performance in their 270gr(sp) and 300gr(rn) in the 375H&H.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
I would only shoot a Hornady bullet at paper out of a .300. Shot a zebra with one and it blew up on the shoulder and a friend of mine shot a sheep with an interlokt out of a .270 that also blew up on the shoulder.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Samir,

What did the slugs look like?

Really flat mushrooms or did you only find fragements?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if CHC and the others that have now stated they had negative experiences were possibly using the Hornady SST, rather than the Interlock or Interbond. I started my reloading with the SSTs and the first year in the field had terrible performance with them on a cow elk and mule deer buck. The rest of them were used on the range and I went to the Interlocks and haven't looked back.

One of Us
Picture of samir
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Samir,

What did the slugs look like?

Really flat mushrooms or did you only find fragements?

Thanks,

Mike

Fragments on both. Zebra was shot at 100 yds and sheep at 250. Both animals only had broken shoulders.

DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

Posts: 1436 | Location: San Diego | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:

Says Mike.

Me too!
Since the availability of Hornady Light Magnum, my M70 .308 has shot nothing else until the LM became the SuperPerformance and that is now my only .308 ammo.
I am 10 Rounds into my latest 20 round box and have taken 9 animals- ALL ONE SHOT KILLS EXCEPT FOR A DARNED BOAR WHICH I SHOT A SECOND TIME JUST TO SHUT IT UP. Confused

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Hornady Inter-locks for all my NA big game hunts. For dangerous game, I've switched to CEB's.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06:
I wonder if CHC and the others that have now stated they had negative experiences were possibly using the Hornady SST, rather than the Interlock or Interbond. I started my reloading with the SSTs and the first year in the field had terrible performance with them on a cow elk and mule deer buck. The rest of them were used on the range and I went to the Interlocks and haven't looked back.

I tried the SST’s in Africa and was not impressed.

I’m the last person on this site that you’d want to take “bullet” advice from.
I do not reload and only base it off ofsome animals taken on one trip.

However, it seems I have never had issues when I used the “cheap” federal soft points.

One day, maybe we will find a manic formula....

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

However, it seems I have never had issues when I used the “cheap” federal soft points.

I can't imagine using the SST in any caliber over there since they are made for much quicker expansion than you would want on any big animal over there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only ever used the interlocks in my 243,on small deer, they were accurate but fragmented badly. I switched to Sierra soft points and never looked back. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:

I can't imagine using the SST in any caliber over there since they are made for much quicker expansion than you would want on any big animal over there.

Topgun:

I was only hunting plains game and they are not any tougher than North American game but that is a whole other argument.

Th PH gave me some GMX bullets to try (I guess they hold together better). I really did not like these either.

Maybe its just me and my bad luck Smiler

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I don't think a single instance in my 35 year guiding career (still) would have been 1 bit different if every rifle was shooting Hornady Interlocks.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1414 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two HOrnadys, cup and core no more and the cup and core with the Interlock..The Interlock Hornadys are top notch bullets..Ive kill lots of deer with them both Mule deer and whitetail, and even a number of elk..

Never had one fail...I see no need to use expensive high dollar bullets in 50 count boxes on deer, they change nothing..Save those bullet for the large stuff. elk up if you must, but I'll gladly use Hornady 180 or 190 INterlock on elk any day..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A very good friend watched a mutual friend hit a Newf moose three times at about 200 yds with a .300 Roy and WBY factory 180 gr (Hornady pre-interlock). Not one bullet made it to the opposite side of the chest. My buddy finished it with his .338. I watched that same bullet splash on a 120# doe's rib at 30 yds from an '06. Probable 2600 fps impact. In recoil saw a 2" hole open up at the entrance. DRT, but not exactly reassuring. Recovered the jacket - just a flat piece of metal (still have it). Not so much as a fragment of core. Was as though it had unzipped lengthwise and pancaked. Have over 1k left, use them for paper.

Judging from other threads, seems lot or year variations can happen with any (Sierra/Hornady/Speer) cup-core brand.

Guessing has more to do with variation in Pb core than in jackets, but dunno.

I would not hesitate to use an Interlock, tho.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
In my first 10 years of hunting I killed almost all of my mule deer, all of my antelope, and several of my elk with 150 grain Hornady Spire Point bullets from my .30-06.

For the first 5 or so years that I had my .257 Ackley, I killed most of my mule and whitetail deer and pronghorn antelope with 120 grain HP bullets from Hornady.

I can't remember a single instance where those bullets didn't do their job.

Now days, most of the Hornady bullets that I shoot are shot from my .308 Win and .300 Wby at the 200, 300, and 430 yard steel at our range.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Most follow up shots with Hornady's , are with a camera and a downed game animal . Lot's of my first were with them . First deer , elk ,coyote and pig all died to some form of a Hornady bullet .

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I've always felt that the Hornady Interlock bullets were not quite as good as the old Remington CoreLokts. Nowhere near Partition performance. For deer and elk the 180s I'm sure are fine. I wouldn't use them on anything that could bite back unless it was a low velocity round like a 30-30 or 45-70. Even then I would buy CoreLokts

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4781 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote