New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Muzzleloader Antelope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hunted off and on, for 18 days, and got one of the good ones I had scouted. Shot with White Whitetail 50 cal. and 300 grain Barnes MZ Expander bullet. Distance of shot - 205 yards, and the retained bullet weight was 299 grains.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that is a nice pronghorn. What is his length on his horn? What is the length of the prong? How many did you see in unit 63? Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Wow. Very nice antelope. What type of powder were you shooting and what kind of trajectory?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
One side is worn down to 14 1/2" and the other is broken the same; it is 15" wide on the inside which makes it look bigger than it really is. I love width, tho. 5 1/2" prongs and 6" bases and extra knobs; it will gross about 73". There are about 300 resident antelope in the unit, with about 40 bucks. The IDFG gives out 75 tags, so the youngsters that stand around get shot down every year, and most will be in the 8-10" range. Last year's average for a 50% success ratio was only 10.0". This tag gets harder to draw every year, but it is still about 3:1 odds. Waiting until October lets you look at some from 58/59/59A which get pushed in by the deer and elk hunters up high in the foothills.

I usually shoot either .452 300 grain XTP's or a 300 grain Barnes, as both give excellent accuracy and outstanding penetration in my weapon. The new 285 Barnes spitzer will probably flatten trajectory and extend someones range a bit, but it does not fly well out of my looser (.504") barrel. For elk hunting I have been trying either 340 or 400 grain hard-cast LBT's with very good results.

My standard load is 100 grains loose FFFg 777, and RWS caps and it provides flawless performance every time. I sight in 3" high at 100 which puts me dead-on at about 130-140, and 10" low at 200 yards. That's about the max. limit for open sights, but in general seasons with my 4X Leupold I might stretch it a bit further. Shoot hundreds of rounds thru the gun every year, and know without a doubt what it will do. It has worked on many animals, and in fact, did a number on a 6-pt. whitetail yesterday morning also. Having a reliable rangefinder is a key ingrediant to successful muzzleloader hunting, if you're not in a blind shooting known distances. It will get another work out this weekend for elk, then deer in South Texas at Thanksgiving.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Blank,

Very nice antelope you got there. I too took a nice old wide (at least in my mind) antelope about a month ago. My 'lope also had a broken tip, which I like to think he did more coming forward then turning tail and running. Just adds character in my opinion.

Congrats,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote