New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moose in North Central Nebraska
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was at a NAVHDA test this weekend north of Dunning and this moose came in. I had no idea there were moose around there.

http://www.bambooflyrods.com/images/moose.jpg
http://www.bambooflyrods.com/images/moose2.jpg

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And I always thought those things were deer. [Big Grin] No wonder they're so tough to drag back to the truck!!!!!!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
That's an Iraqi home coming queen, without her veil. Now you know why Saddam is so mean and ugly in the morning. Imagine waking up next to that every day.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
no way---I worked on a ranch in Purdum,Nebr. in the 70's(grew up near Omaha)--this guy is way lost or someone's pet--moose in Nebraska--got to be the only one--cool of you to get pics--chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He got lost in Saskatchewan and wandered south. Looks like he has amourous intentions to that bison shaped thing. Look out, boose/mison crosses will soon be a Nebraska safari staple. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by csutton7:
no way---I worked on a ranch in Purdum,Nebr. in the 70's(grew up near Omaha)--this guy is way lost or someone's pet--moose in Nebraska--got to be the only one--cool of you to get pics--chris

You're familiar with Purdum? The guys that started the NAVHDA chapter live in Purdum, James and Angela Payne. I like how they've got signs that say "Purdum Next 5 Exits" and the exits are driveways. Quite funny.

I had just been asking the guys there about moose and mtn. lions in the area and was told that they had been seen before but very, very infrequently. And, then, the next day here comes a moose.

[ 09-26-2002, 20:53: Message edited by: parshal ]

Posts: 249 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 15 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parshal,
I hadn't thought of Purdum in a long time. Many years ago (in 1968 to be exact) I made my first trip West and hunted in the Sand Hills around Purdum. Can't remember the rancher. I saw my first Pronghorns on that hunt and got a respectable 8 pt. whitetail. It was a realatively cheap trip and all I could afford at that time. Can't imagine moose in that area.
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
I think he's lonely and wants to make friends with the fake buffalo. I'll bet it is someone's pet raised up from a calf and then wondered off when the sexual urge hit. By the looks of the antler's, would this be a yearling?

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parshal:
I was at a NAVHDA test this weekend north of Dunning and this moose came in. I had no idea there were moose around there.[/URL]

This may not be so uncommon. We get moose in Iowa - about 1 per year, wandering down several hundred miles from Minnesota (occassionally a bear too). At least one moose has made it as far as Missouri. They are easily followed via the local small town newspapers.

We also had an elk last year - which got shot of course, but where did it come from? All local elk farms had all head present and accounted for...

Brent

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Parshal--it's been 26 years since I was there and I worked for Bill and Roberta Dunn on their ranch--I think now that Roberta's brother lives there --Leon--his last name eludes me---never thought I'd see Purdum on the internet---we hunted deer there and I shot my first buck there--a muley back in 1975--

I would guess that moose to be a couple of years old----chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote