Find
Notify
Tools

What goals do you have in hunting?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of CK
posted
The reason I ask this question; I knew that it could be done, but I had to prove it to myself; That I could take a Alaskan Brown Bear with a 30-06, which I did, and it was one of my goals in hunting. My other goal is to take either a cinnamon black bear or a glacier bear.

What are goals in hunting?

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<X-Ring>
posted
I would dearly love to hunt both Alaska & Africa in my lifetime. I really don't have that many goals as far as hunting certain game. Exept one and that is something I will probly never aford. I would like to take a Alasken Brown Bear with a bow. Crazy yes ,but a guy can dream can't he?
I will be happy to just hunt till I'm an old man. Even if I never see Alaska, or Africa.
X-Ring

------------------
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

If your living like there is no HELL, you better be right!

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
My goal is to never lose another animal and to have all 1 shot quick kills...so far I have lost 1 and had two extended follow ups because of bad shot placement out of 37 animals.

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<Big Stick>
posted
My goal is simple.

To Hunt as often as I can,before I die or get too old. Anything above that,is frosting.............

one of us
posted Hide Post
To hunt Alaska's bears... black bear(hoping for cinnamin color), griz and polar bear. Being Alaskan Native, I am allowed to hunt polar bears, and have yet to take one.
~~~Suluuq

Posts: 854 | Location: Kotzebue, Ak. | Registered: 25 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An old cape buffalo is my dream!

I'm fascinated by the massive body and look of this huge animal.

Imagine the "hey bugger what's up" look of the bull only a few yards away - the DGR gun in your sweaty hands seemingly shrinking to a .22lr feeling and the PH whispers "take him!"

Yeah! have to do that!

Franz

Posts: 202 | Location: Vienna/Austria | Registered: 04 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mike..........

One shot.... one kill.

Posts: 3991 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<vibrasonic9>
posted
To never witness anyone..including myself being injured and have fun. I can tell you after my recent Nilgai hunt, that some hunts can get pretty hairy......long as everyone comes in to camp like they left and has fun....if I can do that 'til I die I'm happy.
Rod

------------------
Rod's Place

<Hoyt>
posted
Big Stick told my story....I had open heart surgery when I was 42yrs old (now 54-I think) and realized I probably wouldn't be in the best of shape to enjoy a long retirement (if I made it that long) so I said "to hell with it, I'm going to get my money's worth out of this life as quick as I can, while I'm still able to enjoy it."
I've had 4 angio plasties since and one heart attack while hunting, but for the last few yrs. I've been pretty much hitting on all eight.
My goal every yr. is to hunt another season.

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Yes, to all of the above.

<monyhunter>
posted
My goals right now are very simple, but they include short term and long term goals.

Right now I am saving up for a new Vari-X3 scope for my 7mm.

Next, just last week I decided to give up a trip to alaska next fall to go back to school. I want to get a better education to make more money so that I can afford to go to alaska, africa, and maybe even Australia. (been there once for football)

Besides hunting, my main goals in life are to be a good husband, father, and to raise a good family. Nothing is more important to me than my family.

------------------
Monyhunter

one of us
posted Hide Post
to pass along my love and respect for the outdoors and all of God's creatures to my child.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My goals are to help my 2 boys ( 12 & 14 )get their first deer as soon as possible. #2 have as enjoyable time with my compadreys as possible while hunting.

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Simple goals. To get out of cell phone range and see animals before they see me. Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My goal is to hunt with Walter.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I'd like to get one more African lion and also finish my collection of North American bears, elk, deer, and moose. After that, I really don't care other than to hunt for African plainsgame as much as possible, plus mule deer, elk, and Texas whitetails every year.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
My goal is to pass along my passion to my boys, & finish the trophy room. Who knows when that will be?
LW

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My hunting goals used to be pretty complex and ambitious but as I started to achieve them I realized it wasn't so much in achieving the goal but that the fun was in the planning and anticipation...achieving it usually turned out to be a lot of "work".

Now my goals are much more simple...(1)Africa every other year...I really "need" a bigger leopard...can't get enough buff....have yet to hunt gemsbok or visit Namibia. (2) try to spend more time hunting varmints (PD's and coyotes)...and have a go at ground squirrels, (3) continue to find time for at least a week's worth of quality pheasant hunting each Fall with my sons.

Oh yea, find a new friend who has a couple of well-trained bird dogs.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many good goals above just wanted to add one more:

Training several good hunting dogs!

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I have four grandsons now from 13 years down to 6 months, and my hunting goal #1 is to pass on the knowledge and give them the opportunity to become hunters. Not everyone can be a hunter.

I have been buying guns for some years and putting them away as "grandchildren" guns. I equipped their parents years ago.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
An Elephant. A "hundred pounder"
50 Barn Pigeons per outing
an Unlimited supply of squirrels, all the time.
A double on pheasant.
A 14 point "Wall" deer on state land.

These are a few, but my main goal is to pass the hunting tradition down to my kids.... and someday, grandkids.

------------------
Don't tread on me!
Pennsylvania Frank

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
<DavidP>
posted
For my wife and I to hunt as much and as often as we realistically can afford, while we are still able too.

Hopefully, hunt Africa and Alaska several more times.

Take a nice Kodiak Bear!

Be there when my wife takes a nice Pronghorn! One major dream in her life.

------------------
Good Hunting & Hunt Safe,
David

one of us
posted Hide Post
My goals are a huge hog with swords for tusks, an antelope, a mule deer, and a black bear in a crazy color phase. Then Africa and all it's wonderful animals. Most of all I would want to do these things with my father before the years take their toll.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
To hunt as much as possible and have fun and hunt with my boys when they are older.

[This message has been edited by RMiller (edited 01-12-2002).]

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post

[This message has been edited by RMiller (edited 01-12-2002).]

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My goal is to pass an interest in hunting onto my two daughters and to have successful hunts with both of them.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<graff>
posted
A most interesting post, no doubt. Inside many apparently different answers, the same subject, after all..."Joie de vivre", as the frenchmen say,joy of living. Mr. Hoyt's answer brought to me deep thoughts. I am also 54, and a physician, and know, Mr. Hoyt, that the rather exact knowlege of your risks just leave a more clear/realistic vision of what life is about. We all are at risk, only most of us don't know what they are... Enjoy the day, "carpe diem", the romans said 2000 years ago, they knew what they were saying.
My goal? I found out long ago,not suddenly but bit to bit, that the basic feeling when hunting is one that links me to my very primeval troglodyte ancestors, that makes me more pure as the smallish part of life I am. When hunting, I undress the false vests we all wear when in town, at work, even in family. When hunting, I don't lie, to myself or for anybody. And I leraned from Ticuna Indians of the Amazon River one precious thing, or should I say, I uncovered a hidden thing that was buried deep in my mind. They show the same happiness when they kill an animal or catch a fish, be the animal a tapir of 200 pounds or an agouti of 2, a pirarucu of 80 pounds or a minnowlike guaru of few grams.
I have hunted buffalo, killed 3 of them. The sense of reverence for what I just did is, in essence, the same I felt last time I killed a wild goat, or a partrige.
luck and health.
PS - Ah, my goal? to hunt to the last day of my life, be it tomorrow or 30 years from now (Hope for the 30 year alternative...) Indeed, to die while aiming, or at the shot, would be in order for me.

[This message has been edited by graff (edited 01-12-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that to go to Africa, get up close and personal with Mbogo, to have him look at me, like Ruark says, "As if I owe him money", as I touch off a DGR has to be the ultimate rush. Would also love to hunt Alaska, and several other places.
In lieu of that, to be able to hunt the rest of my life, and to show others the joy of hunting.
Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 839 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
To never loose the respect for the animal I am hunting.

To never develop immunity to "buck fever".

To never loose the saddness I feel when I make a kill.

To never take for granted the animals life.

To pass my love of the wild on to children, not just my own.

To be the best, most competent hunter I can be. (Re:Mike Dettorre's post)

To always be able to hunt just one more Buffalo.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
CK, nothing unusual about taking an Alaskan brown bear with the '06. Some of the very biggest book bears were taken with an '06. I wanna take a truely impressive whitetail most of all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoyt,

Amen! I too had a serious health scare a year or so ago at the ripe old age of 29 and, while everything is fine, I have never forgotten all of the things that I said I would do while I was really praying everything would work out OK. Since then, I have been to Africa twice and am leaving for the Yukon this February to go after Wood Bison.
My goal is simply to hunt all beasts great and small with equal reverence.

Best Regards,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
I really want to legally take a Royal Bengal Tiger! There is more to this impossible dream though (beyond the fact that this tiger will almost never be legally hunted again)I want to take it with one shot from my Winchester Model 1904 (that is a 22LR)!

Todd E

<sure-shot>
posted
My goals are to hunt and enjoy the great outdoors for the rest of my life and to never take it for granted. Hunting has always been good to me and successes are simply an added bonus. I have a special place to hunt here in Cailfornia which I discovered a few years ago while scouting. So far it has yielded some tremendous trophys(by California standards) and I would not be suprised if a B&C muley or bear comes along..... sure-shot

<ovis>
posted
I'll always want to go "just one more time."

Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I would like to hunt in New Zealand, North America and Africa.
And thats about it.
Bakes

Posts: 7975 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CK
posted Hide Post
Leo - We all now live in the "Magnum Era" - So it's really not common anymore for hunters to purposely go after Brown Bear with a 30-06, nor would your local guide here in Alaska would recommend it.
You are correct that many a fine trophy bear has been taken with the 06', including a few choice Kodiak Brown Bear dating back to 1930's and 1940's - One reason, surplus 30-06 was easier to get in Alaska at that time verses others.
I guess my point with taking a Brown Bear with a 30-06 was to connect with hunters of the past who did the same, while living in the "Magnum Era".

Posts: 653 | Location: Juneau, Alaska | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To hunt Elk and Mulies with good friends in the Rockey Mountains as many times as I possibly can before I finally check out. Maybe, the good Lord willin', get to Africa some time.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BuffaloBwana, you win 1st prize. I couldn't put it any better than that.

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
To hunt Africa just one more time! (I know,dear wife, I said that after the first time and the second time, but this time, I really mean it! )