New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm 90 Grain Nosler BT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hopefully not to add to the 243 threads too much.

I drew an antelope tag in Wy. This will be my second hunt for them. Last year I used my trusty 30-06 and 165 grain bullets. I felt I was more than adequately armed and a smaller bore would work fine on pronghorns.

For fun, I am thinking of using a 6mm Rem that I inherited but have never shot anything with.

I am usually a slow, heavy bullet kind of guy, but am thinking of playing with the 90-95 grain BT hunting (not varmint class) bullet. Also looking at the Hornady SST bullet.

I am a new handloader too and this will be an interesting diversion from my normal approach to loadng for hunting. Will be the first time I have loaded for high velocity with such light bullets.

From my limited experience of 1 and other experience with larger 30 cal BT on deer, I would think these would do just fine for antelope. Any real experience with these two bullets on pronghorns or other game driven to 243-6mm velocities?

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Either the 90 or the 95 grain BT will work just fine for pronghorn. But keep in mind that these bullets are quite long for their weight and may create some stabilization issues (depending on your rifle's twist rate).

And while some of the SSTs shoot fine, the Hornady 95 grainer seems to be the exception -- in my guns, at least.

Good luck on your hunt...

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
My friend took his 243 last year to WY on his first ever antelope hunt and dumped a doe with his 95 grain handloaded Btips. Took the doe at over 200 yards and killed her as well as any other bullet. He has a PacNor bbl, 1-9 twist.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
metal-out of various 6 cals I've used the 70 NBT and the 95 NBT to tip over a boat load of lopes/deer etc.

I've never shot a 90 NBT but can't for the life of me imagine it not working and working quite well.

The vast majority of mine have been shot out of a 6/06 and I see no reason why it would not work great in a 6mm.

I'd say get after it.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
My NM antelope was tken with a 87 gr Hornady SP. I clipped his lower chin,hit in the neck and exited the off side at 250 yds. He dropped like a rock. The 6mm Rem will do the job.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I, too, am assuming that the 6mm/90 B Tip is sufficient for deer/antelope. I acquired a 1960's Sako .244 recently, and it's 1/11.5" twist will not stabalize the 100 grainers. So, I dropped back to the 90 B Tip and it shoots quite nicely.

Many people fail to recognize that the Ballistic Tip is a solid base design. As a result, it penetrates somewhat more deeply than a similarly rapidly-expanding bullet might.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive loaded both the 95 sst and 95 nosler and my 243 tikka t3 likes the SST better. I took my pronghorn last year at approx 400 yards with a SST and it did a nice job, exit was about the size of a golfball, good double lung shot. I load them a little spicy with a MV of about 3100.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm's are just plain fun to shoot. I have taken a good pickup load of deer with 85 gr. Sierra spt., 85gr Sierra bthp, and Nosler 95gr Ballistic tip bullets. I have also used the 100gr and even gave the 70grainers a brief try. I never lost a deer with the 70 grain pills but I did find them a bit lacking. The 85gr and up all gave very good results with exits most always and about as many "down on the spot " as any other caliber. The big plus is most 6mm rifles are very accurate. Good hunting.

Posts: 36 | Location: Little Rock, Ar | Registered: 19 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm Rem w/ 90gr BT is plenty for antelope. I have shot my share as a kid in Eastern Montana. I just used a 6mm Rem with factory Winchester 100gr Power-Points back then. In fact the longest game animal I ever shot, was an antelope at approx 800yds (800 paces) with my 6mm. After about 17 rds I was able to dope the wind and holdover until I connected. The bullet only penetrated about a foot, but it was enough to make it give up. I then was able to close the range and finish it off. Ya, I know, nobody believes me, but that I don't care.

Antelope are not very tough animals and even though my caliber minimums are 7mm for deer and 30 for elk, I would consider some 22s adequate for antelope. The only reason I would see a need for using a bigger cartridge like a 7mm STW is to compensate for the wind drift. I don't remember a day that it wasn't blowing atleast 30mph on the flat.

James

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
Simplified 6mm. When the .244 Rem came out, it had a 1-12" twist. Remington changed the name to 6mmRem and the twist to 1-9" in order to handle the heavier bullets. If your rifle is a Rem with the 1-9" twist, It will handle the 95gr BTs, also the 105gr Speers.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote