THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Maine Bear hunting report North Country Lodge

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Maine Bear hunting report North Country Lodge
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
Just returned from a 6 day hunt with http://www.northcountrylodge for Black Bear in Aroostook County Maine.

Compared to the clown we hunted with last year, this outfit was first class. (we decided to try it based on the recommendation of another member here last year, sorry, can't recall who)

While we were not successful, I must say that all of the guides worked extremely hard to get us all a bear. (It was a full moon on Monday, I should have booked next week!)The previous two weeks they took 26 bears out of I believe, 47 hunters, this week they took 6 more out of 24 hunters. The stands were well constructed and placed and most were hit almost every day.

All of the guides were excellent and extremely knowledgeable. To me though, Don "Trapper" Dudley stood out above the rest, and I will request him if the referendum fails and they still have bear baiting next year. I'll also pay better attention to the moon phase when we book!
The accommodations were clean and comfortable, with fresh towels daily and the common areas cleaned daily as well. A very well organized and run operation.

Meals were above average with a good variety from day to day. Breakfast orders were taken and served individually as was the lunch (the big meal) and they even served Lobster and steak on Wednesdays. The after hunt dinner was usually a buffet style dinner... (I put on 10 pounds)

While we didn't get bears, the group at our (assigned) dinner table saw plenty of game including moose, lynx, coyotes, Marten, racoons, and porcupine.

If you have a hankering to do some bear hunting in Maine, for what it's worth, I highly recommend this place.

Frank

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1977 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear. You may have seen my report from a year ago. This is a great place, and I have recommended it to many. I followed them on Facebook this year with daily postings, and there were some great bears taken.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2599 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it.

Would you mind telling us the name of the clown you hunted with last year? Just in case one of us misses this thread when booking a hunt in the future.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a good hunt.

I am jealous, wish I could run that many hunters. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote