THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need Recommendation For "30-06 and 375 H&H Gong.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need Recommendation For "30-06 and 375 H&H Gong.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Son and I are planning a guided combination elk and deer hunt in Wyoming. In advance of the outing we plan to do a fair bit of offhand practice shooting at our family place in East Texas. Both calibers would be shooting Barnes all copper bullets with velocity between 2700 and 2850.
I am getting ready to make a "steel gong" target (aither 12 in sq or 15 in sq.. It will probably be made from 3/4 inch steel. The steel will not be hard plate, but not soft/mild steel either.
We plan to practice at different distances, but don't know the closest point where the bullets would totally punch through the gong.
Here are my questions:
1] What is the closest range to shoot the gong and not punch a hole through it.
2] Is 12 or 15 in sq an appropriate size?

p.s. If cost was no object, I would purchase hard plate that is between 1 inch or 1-1/2 inches thick.

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's pretty much impossible to answer that question with the variables that are involved. Why are you going with a steel plate when you can just set up targets, especially the life like ones, at varying distances for your practice? IMHO if you can't put every shot into a target less than 12" from whatever distance you choose, then you're too far and need to shorten the distance. Shooting at targets and then going into the mountains after deer and elk is a whole new ballgame.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cant fully disagree, but let me expand a bit.

Both my son and I are high power rifle competitors and we are both rated NRA Expert shots and we certainly can casually set up and accurately make a shot. That is a far cry from being able to shoot quickly and accurately when an opportunity presents itself in the field.

It's never wise to rush a shot, but being practiced in a simulated hunting situation that has a modicum or reality is superior to lots of off the bench shooting. Just my opinion.

When we practice, we like to practice like we hunt, that is without sitting at a bench then after one or more shots looking through a scope to see what we did. We do bench shooting when we need to verify a zero, not to practice for field shooting.
By setting up a gong at various distances and then quickly moving from "port arms" to firing at a gong is going to tell us right off if we are hitting where intended. A miss will also tell us whether we are competent at that range, be it 100 yards or 275 yards.
Hope that helps you understand.

Bob Nisbet
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
AR500 is what I use and IMO is far far superior over paper 100X

PM me and I will get you the web address to best AR500 source in the USA

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Or, option 2. Buy a couple of these to place around your range and NEVER look back. About $24 for the 9" model, they last forever, you can see them move at any distance, quick, light and easy to transport.
http://doalloutdoors.com/produ...self-healing-target/

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
JCS271, thanks for the recommendation.
If I am unable to find a suitable answer to my questions, I will do a trial-and-error workup.
Part of reason I am asking is that many years ago while shooting steel at 100 yards with a 270, my shots punched perfect pass-through holes in the steel.

Bob Nisbet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you missed the point of my post. I agree fully with what you said as far as how to practice after your rifle is zeroed at the bench. What I don't understand is why you need the gong unless you just want to hear noise after you shoot and not have to look at a paper target.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JCS271:
Or, option 2. Buy a couple of these to place around your range and NEVER look back. About $24 for the 9" model, they last forever, you can see them move at any distance, quick, light and easy to transport.
http://doalloutdoors.com/produ...self-healing-target/

Last forever?

We wore out 2.....

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Your 3/4" diy plate....unless it is a min of 36-48 RC will not turn to many rounds

Made more than a couple so....

I've led you to water....

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Topgun 30-06: I don't understand is why you need the gong unless you just want to hear noise after you shoot and not have to look at a paper target.

If you shoot beyond 200 a bullet impact on white steel is more visable in a spotting scope than paper....and shooting steel is far more entertaining than paper as it gives instant feedback

Hard plate 1" to 1.5"......wow I run 3/8 AR500 plate that is 10" square and 10x12 rectangular

100 yard minimum for shrapnel safety all purchased dirt cheap made in the USA

I have some targets with near 5k of fmj 5.56 rounds at sub 100 yards with the only sign of wear is thousands of tinny dimples

All of these plates have also seen hundreds of rounds in the likes of 180 30-06 and 160 grn 7RM...no dents

A great rebar stand....grade 10 bolts and Strips of 18 wheeler mud flap and these can truly last forever

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The 12" gong should serve you well out to as far as you want to shoot. I personally like shooting a 4" square gong out to 300 yards, then switch over to the 12" circle.

I agree that shooting a gong is much more fun than punching holes in paper, especially when 200+ yards because you know instantly if your shot was true by watching the gong dance.

Last week I spent the better part of 3 hrs making the 4" gong dance while fire forming some 35 whelen AI brass with 200 gr pistol bullets. Also, decided a few milk jugs filled with water needed to die. Sure I could have shot paper, but it isn't nearly as much fun.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never shot anything but paper due to the ranges I use up here, but the gongs do sound like fun!

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post

I try hard to stay away from those "ranges"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone.
I believe I have enough info to make a functional gong that will stand up to the pounding we will give it.

Bob Nisbet

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Functionality is in the eye of the beholder

I prefer to add longevity into the equation

$50 shouldn't stand in the way of a lifetime target but I cant hold diy against you

Made up more than a couple but only bought a couple....my diy ones are scrap these days

Hint.....dont use chain or anything below G10

posted Hide Post
Just steal a manhole cover......Just kidding....Victor

Posts: 16 | Location: Lakeway Texas | Registered: 25 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't think you can make a decent gong for what these cost. If you're shooting under 50 yards, I'd be CERTAIN to wear eye protection.

I've shot silhouette targets at 50 yards with 300 grain solids in .375 that didn't do much damage to the AR500 steel.

https://shootingtargets7.com/store/gongs/1-2.html

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Those look like great targets Gato and only a small bit higher than JC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://themetalman.com/targ_swinger.html

I have several of these that have taken an amazing amount of use/abuse.

One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
I just sent an info request to the "shootingtarget7" linked above. These would be an interesting target option for my Safari Rifle Challenge shoot. I just don't think that there is anything like this that could take repeated close range hits from 375 and up,(way up!) solids fired from big bore rifles. Most of our shots are 20-60yds so safety is a huge concern.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'll give you a public safety warning

YOU DO NOT SHOOT AR500 AT CLOSE RANGE WITH CF RIFLES

The bullets explode into thousands of pieces

100 yards min unless its a lead cast slow pistol

1st hand experience.....learn from my mistake.....I have been hit

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You should be fine with 3/4 steel I shoot my 375 at 1/2 steel at 100 yards and over. no problem with penetration. I have it hanging by the top so when the bullet hits it swings making the remainder of the bullet go into the earth. Shooting steel is great the 12" or 9" plate is is about the area of the heart lung on most animals you know right away if you hit it and can make adjustments . Patrice the way you expect to shoot . When I go to Africa I use shooting sticks Prone and kneeling. Most of all shooting steel is fun

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made a steel target out of a 12" square of 1.5" plate. Shooting it at over 200 yards with a 16" .308 shooting soft point ammo tears that plate up. It'll last quite a while because it's so thick but not being AR steel it's days are numbered.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got hold of a three-quarter inch thick piece of stainless steel (12' X 12"). It's a 500 series piece.
As part of the effort to make a gong that will hold up to some serious pounding, I placed a piece of 3/8 inch cold rolled steel on top and secured it with steel channel.(Channel was welded to the 3/8 plate to act as a depleatable element. Added a double hook on the back which will allow it to hang from a target holder made from re-bar.
Shooting will be from a measured 150 yards.
I will report back when I have had a chance to test it.

Bob Nisbet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Give Mike Gibson, owner of MGM Targets a call. Tell him what calibre rifles and at what distances you will be shooting.

His company makes great steel targets.

PH.888-767-7371.
They are in Caldwell Idaho.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote