Find
Notify
Tools

Svalbard and huge ice bears
 Login/Join

<Per577>
posted
Hey guys !

Tell me what gun or guns you would choose staying at SVALBARD with high ice-bear population,,,and being there for twelwe months,,what an adventure !
Please tell me why you would chose these guns !

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience of bear hunting. But I would go for .300 wby at least with 180-200 gr premium bullets! Maybe I am a little bit biased about my favourite caliber [Wink] ... But I guess a good .416 will be safer. As a stopper I mean.

Posts: 552 | Location: France | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I think the 338WM would be my personal rifle. It has the range, and the smack, and I can shoot it well. Then I'd like to try a 375HH, but I don't own one of those.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Hmm

I would go for a 338-404 or a 375-404. I can't make up my mind if I should have the G&A version or the Saeed version [Big Grin] Loaded with barnes X or nosler partitions.

I almost forgot my claymore belt as a final resort [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

The rifle would be a McBros. with synthetic stock and nice scope. Polars are a true challenger by any means. Around 700 kilos and likes two legged burritos [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Why Id just take one of them cape buffalo slaying 45-70s with the new wonder bullets of corse..!

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ever read Fred Bears story about trying to take a Polar bear with a bow? Most of the ones he shot, charged him imediately. Make the first shot count.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<DennisE>
posted
Like Western Hunter I'd take a Marlin 1895LTD with a bunch of those shot through the critter lengthwise bullets. [Smile] Dennis

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The Inuit use .222s and .223s. They use a dog to divert the bear, then ear shoot them. One shot. There is an old Eastman tape on Alaska that shows this technique in its stunning simplicity. Of course, the Inuit know about bears, and how not to stumble on them or provoke charges. I am sure an Inuit would like a .375 or a 12 gauge for close encounters with charging ice bears.

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
12gauge dobble with slugs.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
<maral>
posted
My choice: a light reliable rifle, buildt on Mauser 98 action, 21" Stainless barrel in 9,3X62, High tech fiberglass stock and ghost ring sights, and a comfortable carrying sling! Fast-loading clips, filled with 9,3 ammo loaded with Woodleigh 320g RN bullets at 2280fps! Or should I bring my 416 taylor,.....or maybe get a 458X2" buildt on a BRNO 601action?? Hmm, so many choices, so few bears leftWink

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
The Inuit use .222s and .223s. They use a dog to divert the bear, then ear shoot them. One shot. There is an old Eastman tape on Alaska that shows this technique in its stunning simplicity. Of course, the Inuit know about bears, and how not to stumble on them or provoke charges. I am sure an Inuit would like a .375 or a 12 gauge for close encounters with charging ice bears.

Are you sure that isnt just Inuit folklore designed to get invaders of their homeland to try it and silmotaneously keep the bears fed.. [Big Grin]

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr
nope, he wasn't joking, they really do shoot bears this way. But the usual caliber is 303Br, 30-30, or 30-06.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks for chiming in John Y. There really is one of those old Eastman videos of Alaska hunting and whaling that shows an entire polar bear hunt, and that bear goes down like a sack of spuds when that teeny slugs hits him.

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote