Find
Notify
Tools

Comprehensive whitetail book
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted
Several years ago I had 2 or 3 very good books covering all aspects of the whitetail deer life cycle, habitat, hunting, etc. I passed them on to junior hunters at the time. Can anyone advise me on the current best books on those topics? Name or author would help a lot. Thanks, ned

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
N.S., I recently received a copy of a book by Ron Spomer on a hunt I went on with him. It is really good, and talks a lot about the evolution of deer--all types, not just whitetails. I'll look around for it and post the title of it, I think it's certainly worth a read.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
White-tailed Deer, by Halls covers it all, including a section on hunting. It's borderline college text book style, but it shouldn't put you to sleep.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of N. S. Sherlock
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents. I'll keep checking here and your suggestions. ned

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you" G. ned ludd

Posts: 2374 | Location: Eastern North Carolina | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of DeerNut.com
posted Hide Post
My book "Deer of the Southwest" was just released last month from Texas A&M University Press and already 1,200 of the 3,000 copies are sold. Don't let the regional title fool you, I worked with deer in WI, MS, South TX, NM, AZ and ND so I have incorporated the latest information on deer biology in this book. Much of it is regional info, but the chapter on antlers, discussion of moon phase (myth), general biology, evolution, classification, diseases (including CWD), etc is worth the price ($25). My trademark is presenting technical data in a format everyone can read and understand.

JIM
www.deernut.com
benottopubs@aol.com

Jim Heffelfinger
Wildlife Biologist & Author
www.deernut.com
BenOttoPubs@aol.com

Posts: 12 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: 31 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Observing and Evaluating Whitetails by Dave Richards and Al Brothers is hands down the best and most comprehensive book on whitetails I have ever come across. Al has 40+ years experience and Dave is a great photographer, together you get one great book.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote