THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Anyone else tired of 2000 kinds of camoflauge?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else tired of 2000 kinds of camoflauge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted
I get caught up in the different varietys of camo just as much as the next guy, but I honestly feel as though I am wearing it for myself more than I am for the animal.

A ghillie suit is fantastic camoflauge, 100 different patterns of Real Tree and Mossy Oak is getting kind of crazy.

The problem is that they come out with a new pattern, I get excited and then I spend $400 on a new Gore tex hunting suit that I didn't need because I didn't have one is Spring Eclipse 5-D or Alaskan bumblebeee 2000 HD, or Real Moose XL.

Considering everything but birds can't see color, how much difference does it make if we are using the sage brush one in the Maine woods, or the duck blind one in the sage?

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya. I am in NZ for 6 months, and it is interesting to observe the hunting culture here. All my kiwi hunting buddies laugh at my camo. Hunting clothes here means green short shorts and a green swazi jacket, if its cold you put on long johns under the short shorts. Not what we would consider ideal but they stack up a lot of animals. You can also hunt year around here, so the animals are pretty cagey. I think they rightly figure its more about how one hunts than what one wears (within reason).

-----------------------------------------
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Posts: 897 | Location: Tanzania | Registered: 07 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nope not tired of it at all. I just don't buy the latest and greatest I do a lot of mix and matching.

I find wearing two differant patterns to be much more effective then all of the same type. What I would like to see is quadaflauge is 4 differant styles. Lets say one side mossy oak other side realtree one arm another style the other arm something else.

Besides you don't have to spend your money on anything you don't want.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of changes to "big name" camo are very minor. Generally they're not worth reinvesting my $.

I quit wearing camo when I wear solid blaze orange.

I do like it when they get some new region specific camo like Open Country or that pine brush camo (can't think of it's name). That helps out for a lot of the west when greens (or lack there of) aren't as green and browns get a little tan/yellow.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never worn camo much. I have worn out several surplus store military issue jackets, but that's about as close as I come and even then I get the non-camo - better for around town use. Blue jeans do just fine and don't scare the game either.

For quail, rabbit and pheasant I do switch to canvas pants and jackets, mostly Filson.

Will not even consider camo guns. Turkey and deer haven't minded, nor countless dove, nor more than a thousand dux and geese (not hard to do if you just keep at it).

Hey, everybody wears camo. It's almost kinda fun doing something different anyway...

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
People go Crazy over Filson to me it is uncomfortable, loud, and more than I want to pay for what is essentially stinky oiled cotton.

LL Beans, Cabelas, Beretta, Blaser, Laksen, Sitka, I have a lot of variety, but I like the LL Beans, Beretta, and Blaser stuff the best.

I have a ton of North Face, Columbia and Jack Wolfskins clothes I would hunt in too.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's also heavy, becomes hot quickly if not really cold and is stiff. The jacket stands up by itself. However, the stuff lasts forever. I'm still on jacket, leggings and pants worn every year since the 1980s and they have a long way to go. The leggings I even wear for deer stand use. Over jeans they help keep the legs warm.

And it takes some real doing to puncture them. Only one small hole and it took barbed wire to do that.

Another brand I like a whole lot for walk up hunting is Carhartt.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
'Bout the only time I wear camo, is when I'm bow hunting at 23 paces or calling varmints and shooting them at ground level up close.

When your shooting from a couple/three hundred yards away or sitting in a box blind, why do you need camo. I've a friend that usually hunts in a box blind. Sometimes just to tweak others he wears a canary yellow "Carona beer" long sleeve knit tee shirt and yellow knit bottoms or even a pair of red pajama tops and bottoms with little santa clauses on them (and white hight top tennis shoes). Even smokes a pipe sometimes. He kills the shit out of deer and hogs.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
be happy, I have a good friend whose wife is a surgical nurse. He had to add on their house, a 16x20 room to hold all of her matching outfits (scrubs). He thinks she could go almost four years before wearing one twice!

Me, I just wear tan BDUs here in Idaho.

Rich
Buff Killer

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now here's what I was talking about, hating camo.
This is an actual unretouched telling of of a tale in which my buddy and I killed some monster bucks on the Kelly Ranch in the texas hill country. Both of us just happened to get 11 pointers that day.

As I probably have mentioned before I hunt near Vanderpool Texas on a 3000 acre low fenced ranch. I
recently told the ranch owner I would develop a web site and put a couple of his pen raised, protien fed, ear tagged monster bucks on accurate reloading.com in order to make him rich and famous world wide, and which would also cause hunters from such exotic climes as Colorado and Wyoming and other places with vast amounts of public land to hunt creme in their jeans with envy and desire.

So here goes my first attempt.

You guys from the big sky wide open country let me know if I was successful!

scroll on down

a little more.

Yeah, that ought to do it

GWB
Ps: Notice, we were able to slay these beasts without wearing camo.

PPS. And in the best sense of being politically correct, I am the short fat bald one, and I AIRBURSHED THE EAR TAGS OUT OF THE DEER AND THE EARRINGS OUT OF MY EARS.

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
yep there are way too many camo patterns out there..... my newest favorite is morning wood camo..... i got a tee shirt to wear to family functions with my brothers and in laws...............

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Morning wood,

I bet the ladies would say thats kinda stiff.
GWB

one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I purchase a camo outit when my last one is worn out. I don't worry what is new. It is all a marketing plan to get you to purchase more!

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by D99:

Considering everything but birds can't see color...

Not quite true. That was debunked more than 15 years ago. While four-legged mammals do not see color as humans do, the critters DO see color.

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i cut some of my costs on camo,i buy the extra large long sleeve t-shirt in the pattern i want and sew a full length zipper in.
then i can wear it over what ever amount of layering i want.
in winter i wear the white painting and spraying suit,the flimsy coveralls that are surprisingly wind proof.
they work good on antelope but are too hot
a pair of heavy carhart pants for cactus and a white tee-shirt is my camo for antelope

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
There's only one REAL camo that is necessary and that is ASAT!!!

ASAT, take a look.

Best camo I've ever used!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
It is all a marketing plan to get you to purchase more!

Of course it is. Bill Jordan doesn't design 50 different camo patterns to fool deer, but to fool hunters thinking they'll bag more if they buy the latest and greatest. Same thing how all the different colored\patterned fishing lures are designed to hook the fishermen not the fish.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the best threads I have ever read on camo. Some great pictures too.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/...hlight=predator+camo

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve A:
One of the best threads I have ever read on camo. Some great pictures too.

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/...hlight=predator+camo

Predator is my second choice, depending on where I'm hunting. I used their snow camo one year here in Ohio while I bowhunted on the ground and it worked great. I killed a doe that night at 9 yards.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I guess I haven't bought into the camo craze I have a few pieces of various camo but I find myself wearing green or gray wool pants and a wool Pendleton plaid shirt for most of my hunting.
Seems to be working.
I do wear some camo but like I said I'm not all into it like some people think you need to be. Whatever works for ya then stick with it.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you don't move and the wind is good, most game animals we hunt do very rarely recognize a human silhoutte from very close. If you move, they can see you with camo and without. It is good to cover your face with a hat, though.

Don't really know if this also applies to the predators.

For me, green or brown gear is just fine. I do not use doe urin, either.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try Oryx in New mexico. You will review this theory.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mthuntr - Finally someone who sees the logic behind why there is NO NEED to wear head to toe Camo, then slap a Blaze Orange Pumpkin Suit on, over top of it???????????? If I had a dollar for every hunter I have guided that did that, well I would have a whole lot of dollars!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wfh:
Try Oryx in New mexico. You will review this theory.

Killed 3 wild free ranging oryx in Namibia. They are dumb, not sure what you are talking about.

One of Us
Picture of Steve Latham
posted Hide Post
I like to use anything that might help me move around without disturbing the local animal population, be it Loden greens or tans/browns, or a complete mix of all available ideas, I have noticed improved chances when matched as close as is practicable to the surrounding general colours etc, combined with slow movements & covered hands/face, the recently developed "suede/peachy" type fabrics are way ahead of my old Barbour waxed garments & far superior in defeating rainstorms, the downside of "cammo" for me is when a guy bumps into you when you head for the pub for a well deserved wet, giggling inanely "Sorry bud, didn't see you there!" animal

Posts: 683 | Location: Chester UK, Home city of the Green collars. | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do not waste my guns and hunting money on fashionflage. I have never seen the need for it whether I am hunting turkeys or Bongo, or waterfowl or polar bear.

Feel free to not do as I do, I sure do not want to badmouth your alternative lifestyle. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's see, Maine camo:

lightweight green wool pants, Pendleton wool shirt, plaid Johnson coat, sturdy boots. still works after all these years...

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bow hunt and coyote hunt so camo is pretty important to me. Living in Idaho I have found a few to be better than the rest. Cabelas Open Range (I think that's what it is called), King's Desert Shadow, and Predator. Anything else just turns me into a big blob of darkness if you step back and look at me from over 100 yards away.

The big camo manufacturers (Realtree and Mossy Oak) are starting to figure out that hunters know this too so they have developed patterns that are more "open." I will stick to my Cabela's and Predator for the most part. I only buy the King's if I can get it on sale.

Rifle hunting for deer or elk is a different story. Camo becomes pretty unnecessary in my opinion.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When hunting animals I rarely wear camo.

However for people a "ghillie" suit is necessary.

People shoot back.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
The clients I have come out to hunt Turkey and Javelina with me in Pecos county a lot of times ask me what type of camo to bring, and I usually tell them, "What Ever Will Make You Feel Most Comfortable In Camp"!

I can see using camo for turkeys and waterfowl, as birds can see color, and can see it a long ways off.

As far as camp for hunting deer or pigs from a stand in Texas, I think legally the hunter should be forced to wear either Formal Evening Wear or be Buck Ass Naked.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
I am tired of all the "deep woods" camo that is around now (which is most of the Mossy Oak and Realtree crap), but I'm a huge fan of Advantage Max-1. I think it's the best all-around camo pattern for hunting. I've used it in the Texas Hill Country, deep East Texas piney woods, and hardwood swamp areas in South Louisiana.....and it works great in all those areas. I think it would be great for Africa as well, even though most frown on wearing camo in Africa. I find that most of the "deep woods" camo is way too dark when you get 20 yards and farther away from it. It looks black almost. Here's the Advantage Max-1:

Although, I've gotta say, I really like that ASAT camo that Doc posted.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3109 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best advise I've heard on camo and "scent control" clothing was: "buy whatever is on sale, lick your finger and stick it up in the air, and hunt toward the cool side." Smiler

Posts: 152 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
Although I still have some camo stuff around bought a few years ago, since returning from AFrica, I've only bought khaki/brown solids.

Mostly I hunt in brown . . . brown or khaki jeans or shorts, brown or khaki shirt (in warm weather) . . . in winter, carhart brown coveralls and a water-resistant upland game jacket from Cabelas (on sale). From a distance, its really hard to see even for a person (so long as you're sitting still). Best camo advice - sit still, with the wind in your face.

Funniest thing about hunting most places here in TX is watching a guy put on a full camo suit and then climb in a completely enclosed box blind.

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer the old world approach to camouflage.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
I prefer the old world approach to camouflage.

Cheers
Tinker

Would make a good looking shirt our of Viyella.. clap
What the best dressed hunter is wearing these days... beer

Don

One of Us
Picture of Copidosoma
posted Hide Post
90% of the camo out there is too dark for the areas I hunt anyways. So I don't feel any pressure to buy the latest and greatest.

Predator and very few others have useable stuff (for me).

Although I still haven't bought any. Cargo pants and a olive green wool jacket seem to work fine.

One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Tired of it? Nope. Why would it bug me? I use basic stuff for waterfowling, small game and general big game. Never thought it was a big deal, and I'm not the type that needs to have the latest and greatest anything, as long as what I have works. As often it does. Smiler Most all of the guys I know who do very well hunting older guys) did not grow up using fancy camo, and have always done very well. They still do. IMO it ain't the camo that puts guys on critters; it's their hunting skills. Camo is nice, but not a requirement for just about any hunting I do, as long as you can hide yourself in other ways (use of natural vegetation, conditions--from wind and the like-- and knowledge of critter habits).

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have worn nothing but Predator Gray or Brown since David Westmorland of the Old XI Archery and an old high school friend gave me my first set in 1992. I still have the first set he gave me and they are still in good shape. The large bold lines and high contrast lights to dark make it work at long range and up close.

I wear it just about for everything from hogs,deer,elk.....you name it.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the days before camo as a "product" I remember a bow hunting writer comment that he had lots of success with a plad shirt and face camo paint. Now, I notice he "pimps" some new pattern every few years...

I've used whatever pattern of desert camo pants I could find at Capt. Dave's in Lewistown or Army-Navy in Bozeman. I like the pockets on military pants and the browns and tans match the grass and dirt. I have a few pieces of commercial camo, mostly Cabela's and that was purchased because of the fabric, micro-fleece,(cotton kills in cold, damp weather) rather than it's camo pattern. The white camo for coyote hunting seems to really help. But not as much as sitting still, moving slowly and being downwind. Oh wait! You mean camo and "scent" control clothing doesn't automaticly make you the worlds most deadly hunter! Damn those bastards in marketing have done it again!!!

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
It may be a moot point after reading this...

Camo for coyotes--not for fashion

Read October, December and February.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote